Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Has anyone in recent years given up what seems like days of riding time?

Ed Ruth had 5:09 riding time against Kenny Courts (Dec 15, 2013)   

That doesn't come close to the 6:17 Dake racked up in Philly to win his second title.

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2011/3/19/WREST_0319112323.aspx

"I choose down."

My favorite quote of the tournament comes at 0:22 of the following, "What an idiot."

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/478027-dake-celebration 

From the Press of Atlantic City:  http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/southern-regional-graduate-frank-molinaro-falls-in-ncaa-wrestling-finals/article_8fdcfe11-7f7f-591e-9576-3b4f16d1d50c.html 

Molinaro's stubbornness and desire may be his best attribute as a wrestler, but it didn't help him Saturday.

After getting ridden out for the final 2 minutes, 33 seconds of the first period and falling behind 2-1, Molinaro went against the wishes of his coaches in the corner and decided to start down in the second period rather than going to neutral.

"I thought I was going to get out easily, to be honest with you, as naive as that sounds," Molinaro said after the match.

Instead, Dake rode Molinaro out for the entire second period, even tilting him at one point, to take a commanding 5-1 lead. He reversed Molinaro six seconds into the third and added the riding time point for the 8-1 win.

"I said 'neutral' and he said, 'I want to go down'," Penn State assistant coach Cody Sanderson said. "He's kind of a stubborn guy. I think that's part of the reason he's so good."

Molinaro finished eighth at 141 in 2009 and fifth at 149 last season.

But the redshirt junior wasn't satisfied with his second-place finish.

"How would you feel?" Molinaro said. "You've worked every single day of your life to win a national championship and you get ridden out like that."

Saturday was an unusual position for Molinaro to be in.

He is usually the one riding people out.

In three matches in the Big Ten tournament and in the opener of the NCAA's tournament Molinaro didn't allow a single point. The final on Saturday night against Dake were the first offensive points that Molinaro allowed in the tournament.

In all, Dake tallied six minutes and 17 seconds of riding time.

"It wasn't really as tiring physically as it was mentally," Molinaro said. "I was out of options. I tried getting to my feet on both sides. I tried standing up. I tried standing switch. My best bet off the whistle might have been not to stand up, to crawl into a ball and to fight hands and come up or something, I don't know. I can tell you one thing, I have to be able to get out of a crab ride. I guess I was pretty naive thinking I was going to get out easily."

Even Dake was surprised that Molinaro chose down in the second.

The two met on Dec. 30 with Dake winning a 1-0 decision.

"The first time we wrestled he didn't choose bottom so I was kind of surprised," Dake said. "I was expecting him not to choose it again but when he did I felt very confident. I felt really good on top, really strong and I felt like I could ride anyone."

Edited by lu_alum

I remember Mike Thorns True frosh year after Mack Reiter got hurt they put him into the lineup and he went up against some tough guys right away, one of whom was Nick Simmons. I want to say he lost 14-0 and gave up like 5 minutes of RT.  I remember thinking that this was as close as you could possibly get to a TF without the match being stopped

Still, Dake vs Molinaro is the clear winner here.  Not only is that amount of RT going to be hard to beat, but it was also in an NCAA final.

That doesn't come close to the 6:17 Dake racked up in Philly to win his second title.

"I choose down."

My favorite quote of the tournament comes at 0:22 of the following, "What an idiot."

Dake was really great in college, but didn't always come across as the classiest.  If Molinaro couldn't get out from bottom he wasn't going to win anyway.  He would have had to score multiple takedowns to Dake's zero, and this would be extremely unlikely. 

I once lost a HS match 4-0, wrestling up a weight against a kid who was a state placer and well, just better than me. 4-0 sounds reasonably competitive by score alone, but details show other wise. 1st-he took me down about ten seconds in, threw boots in, and I ate mat for rest of 1st. Down 2-0. 2nd, pre-dating Molinaro, I choose down. 2 more minutes of face planted on mat. Still 2-0. 3rd period, he takes bottom, reverses me in about 10 seconds, repeat scenario from previous two periods. At least I gave up no backs and no riding time point in HS, but a 4-0 loss with about 5:40 of that being face smushed into mat doesn't sound so competitive after all.  

Frank Molinaro got ridden for ~6:22 against Kyle Dake in the 2011 NCAA finals. The final score was 8-1 Dake (obviously) with Molinaro's only point coming from an odd leg lock? violation against Dake. Interestingly, Molinaro was seeded 2 and Dake 4 going into the match. 

Frank Molinaro got ridden for ~6:22 against Kyle Dake in the 2011 NCAA finals. The final score was 8-1 Dake (obviously) with Molinaro's only point coming from an odd leg lock? violation against Dake. Interestingly, Molinaro was seeded 2 and Dake 4 going into the match. 

What gets lost in that match - Dake was able to accumulate that much riding time because he was so good in ALL three positions, He gets the first takedown, and then scores the third period reversal in less than 45 seconds combined.  Unreal.

"I choose down."

I should have read all the posts before posting myself lol