Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

Midlands 157, were points ever awarded?

Did Terry Brands try ask for a replay for the end of the match on whether Berger continued after the whistle?  If so this is complete cheap shot.

Correct, it was a cheap shot as the whistle had been blown.

This was a very tough match to officiate and, although there were some reviews that took place, I truly believe the correct calls were made in the end. Folks have such a misunderstanding about reaction time / no reaction time. There is reaction time in every takedown situation except two: the hand touch situation from a rear-standing or merkle situation. Other than those two, there is reaction time allowed. The takedown situation in OT was called correctly after the review because the refs noticed correctly that he never controlled the far ankle beyond reaction time. It was almost continuous that his ankle slipped right out and then the scramble ensued. Very tough match, but the best ref was on this match and got the calls correct. It may not have been the smoothest first time around, but video review is a wonderful tool.

This was a very tough match to officiate and, although there were some reviews that took place, I truly believe the correct calls were made in the end. Folks have such a misunderstanding about reaction time / no reaction time. There is reaction time in every takedown situation except two: the hand touch situation from a rear-standing or merkle situation. Other than those two, there is reaction time allowed. The takedown situation in OT was called correctly after the review because the refs noticed correctly that he never controlled the far ankle beyond reaction time. It was almost continuous that his ankle slipped right out and then the scramble ensued. Very tough match, but the best ref was on this match and got the calls correct. It may not have been the smoothest first time around, but video review is a wonderful tool.

Hell of a post. Very much appreciated.

Are you a D1 ref?

I agree and I think the ref did an amazing job with this match.  my guess is that this will be one of the hardest matches to ref this year.  every sequence had something close to being points for one wrestler or the other.

This post aligns with what I think a lot of us, me included, have just learned about the reaction time situation.  I was wrong before and the ref seems to have gotten every call right.  Bravo to him and thanks for the explanation.

Certainly appreciate the input.  Saw a replay of the match and certainly understand your post.  Had to be incredibly difficult for the ref to call. 

I saw points on a Berger TD in OT on Flo that must have been reversed and think I understand the reasoning.