Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Gary Kessel needs to retire

Aside from his most famous blunder, I've seen Kessel officiate thousands of matches and have found him to be very good to excellent.  But the Heil match was an abortion.

His blunders only seem to be with Okie State kids. Need Medicine Man or someone with skills to put the Hendricks and Heil pins, side by side.

I'm going to ask you all a question, having just gone through the video.

Let's say that Gary Kessel doesn't catch the Heil takedown (which was what happened), but then gets the defensive fall right. They then go to video review (which John Smith was challenging in that sequence anyway), and on review, the call is reversed. That pin would've been nullified.

You think UVA people are mad now. How mad would Cavalier fans have been had that sequence occurred?

Let's say that Gary Kessel doesn't catch the Heil takedown (which was what happened), but then gets the defensive fall right. They then go to video review (which John Smith was challenging in that sequence anyway), and on review, the call is reversed. That pin would've been nullified.

You think UVA people are mad now. How mad would Cavalier fans have been had that sequence occurred?

The Heil TD? The only time Heil came close, imo, DiCamillo still had his leg. So if that was a TD for Heil, then the last 10 seconds were a TD for DiCamillo + Backs, and then the sequence at the end of the match was another TD for DiCamillo.

My $0.02.

Edited by TBar1977

Well, my point was, when Kessel reversed the call on the takedown (and awarded the takedown to Heil...was about 15 seconds before what would've been the fall), he nullified anything that took place after that call being reversed.

Serious question. Is there not a fall if nobody has established control, yet one wrestlers shoulder blades are flat for 1second?

I believe you're forgetting that a review may be used to confirm or reverse any call or non-call - except for pins.

What the esteemed gentleman above said.

OK, I see your point now.  Got a bad case of the flu and didn't read everything clearly.

That said, I'd still question whether "nullifying" a pin is allowable based on a strict reading of the rule, which states:

Mat-side video review may be used to confirm or reverse any call or non-call made by the official, except a fall.

Arguing that a "nullification" was based on reviewing the TD (and not the fall) still might run afoul of the rule.   After all, wouldn't you still be using the review process to reverse a called fall?  (Anyway, this is an interesting hypothetical.)