Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

JB makes it official

By summer 2020 Mark Hall will be 23. If the weight classes remain the same and he can still make 74kg he will be dangerous.

3.5 years is a long time. will be fun to see how things shake out. 

Yep.  In January of 2008 Burroughs was 20 years old and 3.5 years out from his first world title.  He placed 3rd in the NCAAs that year.  I am guessing nobody thought he'd be a world champ that quickly.  

This doesn't mean Hall will do what Burroughs did (obviously Burroughs is pretty special).  But what it does mean is we have no idea what he'll be in 2020.  He may be no higher on the ladder or he may be atop it.  

Welcome back Jordan! I'm sure the Iranian fans will be happy to see JB back in the lineup as they host the World Cup this year.

So I guess we won't see Olympic champ Yazdanicharati at 74 anymore? Or will he stay down at 74 and have the clash with JB in Tehran? Would love to see that match.

Will be very interesting to see the rest of USA's lineup for the Cup.

57 ? (This will sound crazy and it's probably not feasible, but would love to see Spencer Lee here.)

61 Logan?

65 Molinaro?

70 Green?

74 JB (who's the backup, Ringer, or is Howe still wrestling?)

86 :D This one's gonna be fun - obviously it's J'den's spot, but does he cut down again and go, or does USA go with Dake (if healthy and still up at 86), or is it the Magicman?

97 Will this be one of Snyder's overseas trips during the NCAA season?

125 Gwiz or Rey, or both?

Edited by 2td3nf

Dake and JO have had the same issues, lack of int'l competition, that much we know.

how is our lineup determined? wrestle offs? DT would be in a prime position to go at 86 assuming Cox is a no go.

and i'm confident JB will prove all his naysayers wrong, tough loss to Geduev had him second guessing himself. His aspirations are as large as ever. he'll be in top form in front of his favorite fans.

Taking a little detour from this thread since we're talking about the World Cup. Does USA send a team to the Yarygin this year? It's scheduled for Jan 27-29 and the World Cup is scheduled Feb 16-17. Looks like the varsity is going to Tehran for the Cup so does that eliminate them from competing in Krasnoyarsk? Thought Snyder would go back there this year but is it possible with the Cup date that close?

Taking a little detour from this thread since we're talking about the World Cup. Does USA send a team to the Yarygin this year? It's scheduled for Jan 27-29 and the World Cup is scheduled Feb 16-17. Looks like the varsity is going to Tehran for the Cup so does that eliminate them from competing in Krasnoyarsk? Thought Snyder would go back there this year but is it possible with the Cup date that close?

I hope so, Stieber should try 61kg again at Yarygin, Rei Higuchi (Rio Olympic silver medalist and one of the most promising wrestlers IMO) will be there.

I hope so, Stieber should try 61kg again at Yarygin, Rei Higuchi (Rio Olympic silver medalist and one of the most promising wrestlers IMO) will be there.

Tough cut, even with the 2 kilo allowance.  Would rather see him at the WC since weigh-ins for WC and Yarigan are so close.

Axe_Spartan, on 04 Jan 2017 - 2:14 PM, said:

Pretty sure Stieber said in an interview after he won Worlds that he would wrestle in the World Cup and maybe BTS. Would be fun to see Logan and a bunch of other American wrestlers at the Yarygin. Thought Logan got hosed in the scoring in his first round barnburner at last year's Yarygin.

Anyone know if USA is sending any wrestlers to Krasnoyarsk this year? Also, probably no Metcalf this year. He went every year but guess he's retired now.  

Edited by 2td3nf

Off-Topic somewhat, the young talent waiting in the background (The Lees, Halls, Fixes, Stevensons etc...) keeps some people up at night.

The next little while is going to be demented.

USA Wrestling is looking very good right now.

Well I think the World Cup will be a pivotal moment for JB. Hopefully he has spent the last few months training and getting refocused. And if JB has a spectacular performance, I suspect it will be business as usual, and JB will stay atop of the mountain for a little while longer. However, I suspect that if JB stumbles the sharks in the water will smell blood, and there will be no end to the speculation of who will be the new heir.

By summer 2020 Mark Hall will be 23. If the weight classes remain the same and he can still make 74kg he will be dangerous.

3.5 years is a long time. will be fun to see how things shake out. 

Remember when Danny Gable was going to beat everyone and ended up going up against Bobby Douglas. Gable was good but Douglas beat him then five of six matches.

Give the kid time to mature and get into the International style. He hasn't even won an NCAA title yet.

Remember when Danny Gable was going to beat everyone and ended up going up against Bobby Douglas. Gable was good but Douglas beat him then five of six matches.

Give the kid time to mature and get into the International style. He hasn't even won an NCAA title yet.

Sure I remember Danny Gable being a huge disappointment. I remember it well. Yep, what a bust. 

as for Hall, I said he "will be dangerous" and it "will be fun to see how things shake out". So I guess you have a point, maybe that's too much hype. maybe I should assume he will start sucking immediately.

but I am pretty confident he will live up to my expectations, so how about this? If it turns out that over the next 3.5 years, watching Mark Hall is not fun, I will come return to the forums for a mea culpa, you have my word.