Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Illinois vs. Ohio State

This Friday 7 PM at Oak Harbor High School in Oak Harbor, Ohio.

125 - #11 Triggas vs. #4 Delgado

133 - #1 Stieber vs. #7 Thomas

141 - #2 Stieber vs. #3 Futrell/Rodrigues

149 - #19 Tessari vs. Ervin

157 - #18 Demas vs. Nora

165 - Martin vs. #8 Polz

174 - #5 Heflin vs. #7 Blanton

184 - #19 Courts/Magrum vs. #20 Dallago (unlikely Central Dauphin matchup; event is in Magrum's HS gym)

197 - #15 Campolattano vs. #13 Gonzalez

285 - #12 Capone vs. Lopez

Hopefully Futrell and Logan Stieber are back as scheduled. Only overwhelming favorites appear to be tOSU at 133 and 285, and Illinois at 165.

Buckeyes usually hold one of their duals at the alma mater of one of their wrestlers. It seems to most often be at the high school of one of their Seniors, examples Sponseller and Magrum(this year). But, last year I think they had a dual at Bound Brook, the hs of Campolattano (memory isn't 100% on this one though).

Buckeyes usually hold one of their duals at the alma mater of one of their wrestlers. It seems to most often be at the high school of one of their Seniors, examples Sponseller and Magrum(this year). But, last year I think they had a dual at Bound Brook, the hs of Campolattano (memory isn't 100% on this one though).
I can see a tOSU "home" dual happening in Monroeville sometime in the coming years.

Ervin vs Tessari will be interesting. Will the Ervin who beat Ness show up, and Tessari has been hot and cold although more consistent as of late. Triggas can beat anyone if he's able to hit some of his wicked arm bars and figure four combinations. Obviously both the Stiebers have excellent matchups.

I feel this could be very close. It could come down to bonus points as i can easily see this going 5-5, maybe even ending on criteria....(hopin my darkhorse 184 pick holds up!) but i predict it will go 6-4 tOSU.......

125- Delgado DEC Triggas.....Nikko always a big threat on top but Delgado wins on his feet. 3-0

133-Stieber MD Thomas.......Logan being rusty only gets the major, come March its a Tech. 3-4

141-Stiber DEC Futrell........Hunters attacks are too much for BJ, Hunter defends well. 3-7

149-Tessari DEC Ervin.........its not pretty but Cam pulls it out. 3-10

157-Demas DEC Nora..........Josh gets his offense going and gets the win. 3-13

165-Polz MD Martin............wishfull thinking here, Polz could tech. 7-13

174-Blanton DEC Heflin.......Hef loses a close one, low scoring match. 10-13

184-Magrum DEC Dallago.....Cody wrestles big in front of home crowd wins by 1. 10-16

197-Gonzalez DEC Camp.....Camp still cant win the close ones, loses by 1-2. 13-16

285-Capone DEC Lopez.......Capones athleticism is too much for Lopez. 13-19 tOSU

I feel this could be very close. It could come down to bonus points as i can easily see this going 5-5, maybe even ending on criteria....(hopin my darkhorse 184 pick holds up!) but i predict it will go 6-4 tOSU.......

125- Delgado DEC Triggas.....Nikko always a big threat on top but Delgado wins on his feet. 3-0

133-Stieber MD Thomas.......Logan being rusty only gets the major, come March its a Tech. 3-4

141-Stiber DEC Futrell........Hunters attacks are too much for BJ, Hunter defends well. 3-7

149-Tessari DEC Ervin.........its not pretty but Cam pulls it out. 3-10

157-Demas DEC Nora..........Josh gets his offense going and gets the win. 3-13

165-Polz MD Martin............wishfull thinking here, Polz could tech. 7-13

174-Blanton DEC Heflin.......Hef loses a close one, low scoring match. 10-13

184-Magrum DEC Dallago.....Cody wrestles big in front of home crowd wins by 1. 10-16

197-Gonzalez DEC Camp.....Camp still cant win the close ones, loses by 1-2. 13-16

285-Capone DEC Lopez.......Capones athleticism is too much for Lopez. 13-19 tOSU

Pretty reasonable analysis. A couple comments.

Stieber v Thomas is compelling because Thomas is red hot and Logan is coming off a long layoff. Logan could pin him--because he's brutal on top--or it could be a surprisingly close match.

H. Stieber is a tough first match back for Futrell. Hunter's style is death by a thousand cuts as he controls you in neutral, rides for 30 secs and gets out on bottom.

Ervin v Tessari could also be very interesting. Ervin ate up Dylan Ness by staying low the whole match and thus negating the funk. That's a good way to beat a lot of people. Tessari just won a wrestle-off series with Paddock. Will this match be a step towards consistency for him? Or another close loss to a wrestler with a good game plan?

Polz will beat Martin easily but he'll have to work very hard to get a MD--let alone a TF. Martin wrestles hard and never quits. He's a St. Eds kid and his training shows.

Blanton v Heflin should be a marquee matchup but I have a hard time seeing Heflin pull of the minor upset. Blanton had Storley on the ropes until he lost focus for one instant--and Storley made him pay. Heflin will do what he always does--slow down the match and try to find a win late in the third. I'd love to see him open up more even if it costs him.

Someone explain Tony Dallago to me. He gave the very fine Steinhaus a tough battle then loses to Purdue (who is admittedly pretty good but not Steinhaus good). Magrum just beat out Courts for the spot. Dallago could win or get beat easily--depending on his attitude.

197 is another match which could go either way. Camp's recent losses to Burak (lack of effort, confusion over how to counter a 2 on 1) and Schiller (mental lapses, technique mistakes) could easily be reversed but it's hard to get a handle on his level of desire. That's the thing that seems to be holding him back.

It's worth pointing out that there has been no official announcement yet that Logan is wrestling. :o

Hes wrestling. I wont name names, but lets jus say i know i guy who knows a guy who was 3rd grade pen pals with Logan who still gets letters from him, so.....

125 - Will be very interesting. I'm taking Delgado in this match, but could see Triggas giving him fits and even beating him. ILL 3 tOSU 0

133 - Steiber by maj over Thomas ILL 3 tOSU 4

141 - Going to go with the slight upset here. I think Futrell pulls this one out. ILL 6 tOSU 4

149 - Gotta go with Ervin here. I realize that the inconsistent Tessari could be on and win, but also realize that he could be real off. You don't wanna be off against Ervin, he'll make you pay dearly for it. ILL 9 tOSU 4

157 - Demas FALL Nora. ILL 9 tOSU 10

165 - Polz dec Martin ILL 12 tOSU 10

174 - This will be an extremely interesting match up. Both wrestlers have a very similar history, that points to what should be a much better season than either one is having. Neither are wrestling up to their potential, and that makes for a tough call on the prediction. I'm going to go with Heflin on this one. ILL 12 tOSU 13

184 - Magrum dec Dallago ILL 12 tOSU 16

197 - Another interesting match up. Gonzalez is better on paper, but Campolattano seems to have some neat tricks up his sleeve. Both have a lot of head scratch losses, and some wins that shout out, "how did he beat that guy?!?!?". Going to go with Campolattano on this one. ILL 12 tOSU 19

HWT - Capone has been wrestling very well, could even get the major, but I'll stick with just a decision. ILL 12 tOSU 22

Buckeyes 22

Illini 12

This is going to be a great dual. Only three matches appear to have a clear favorite, and in one of those, the underdog (Thomas) just won 17-8 over Chris Dardanes, one of two wrestlers to beat Logan last year obviously. It should be pointed out that Magrum owns two wins over Dallago back in 2010, one of them by a score of 9-3. He just beat the guy from Purdue who beat Dallago, won the wrestle off with Courts, and won an open, plus he's very consistent against all but the top guys (and that's not a consistency issue, they're just better) and will be wrestling in his h.s. home gym. I actually feel better about him than almost any of the tossups.

I made an inaccurate statement about Dallago. He did not lose to Purdue. He lost to Sheridan from IU--a wrestler he had beaten at the Midlands.

And then I was thinking Sheridan was IU, but figured you were probably right and he was Purdue so I repeated your error, lol.

New article breaking down the dual at www.ohiowrestlingsite.com for those who are interested.

I made an inaccurate statement about Dallago. He did not lose to Purdue. He lost to Sheridan from IU--a wrestler he had beaten at the Midlands.

And then I was thinking Sheridan was IU, but figured you were probably right and he was Purdue so I repeated your error, lol.

New article breaking down the dual at http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com for those who are interested.

Good write up.

Incidentally I'm reading that the match is sold out. So before anyone decides to just get in the car and drive there..... :)

I'm hoping the 22-12 tOSU victory is correct but I disagree about Futrell over Steiber and Demas is not a pinner, tech is possible but hes got one pin on the season against a 49lber with one win on the year

It's worth pointing out that there has been no official announcement yet that Logan is wrestling. :o

Hes wrestling. I wont name names, but lets jus say i know i guy who knows a guy who was 3rd grade pen pals with Logan who still gets letters from him, so.....

I know a guy who knows a guy too, and he confirmed Logan's return.