Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Mark Hall redshirt to stay on

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/01/cael_sanderson_not_overly_conc.html#incart_river_index

And despite that impressive title, the six-time Minnesota state champion and Junior World champion will still be known as freshman redshirt Mark Hall.

"Yeah, same plan,'' Sanderson said. "He (Hall) wrestled well. I mean, that's the kid we recruited. We're happy and excited even more about his potential moving forward.''

hum...................

The only rationale for when Cael redshirted Zain and co. was that he was doing whats best for the kids as individuals. Which was legitimate. 

If thats his rationale now why is suriano out there? He must really think they have it locked up already. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

hum...................

The only rationale for when Cael redshirted Zain and co. was that he was doing whats best for the kids as individuals. Which was legitimate.

If thats his rationale now why is suriano out there? He must really think they have it locked up already.

Sutiano has no goal of being a 4 timer because Spencer Lee is on his way, probably figures he has a better chance to get 1 against Gilman.

Cael is such a troll.  I love it

Sanderson said Hall is a likely airplane passenger as well, since he is from Apple Valley, Minnesota.

"We like to take some of the younger guys, too, if we can, just to get them in that atmosphere. Minnesota always has a great atmosphere; Nebraska has a great atmosphere. This is one of those trips you want to get your guys out there and let them feel it and let them experience it and be a part of the team. We have some decisions to make.''

What?  That's not typical. 

Edited by LemonPie

NOOOOooooo, I can't take an extra 4 years of this nuthuggin

Well ti will only be 1 extra year since 4 was already guaranteed. Now if he gets and takes and Olympic RS it would be 2 extra hears of hugging. 

hum...................

I've been under the impression that Nick Suriano's plan is to put in his time at PSU, check off the college degree & D1 wrestling boxes from his list, and move on to compete in MMA or become a combat sports or entertainment personality. If he had any say, he probably wanted to compete sooner than later and not redshirt.

About Mark Hall, will he be 25-26 years old by the time he graduates?  Does having so much deferred time put his post-college/international career at risk?  I guess 26 isn't that old to shift 100% to freestyle but it does seem like it would narrow his window a little bit.

I've been under the impression that Nick Suriano's plan is to put in his time at PSU, check off the college degree & D1 wrestling boxes from his list, and move on to compete in MMA or become a combat sports or entertainment personality. If he had any say, he probably wanted to compete sooner than later and not redshirt.

About Mark Hall, will he be 25-26 years old by the time he graduates?  Does having so much deferred time put his post-college/international career at risk?  I guess 26 isn't that old to shift 100% to freestyle but it does seem like it would narrow his window a little bit.

Yes, by redshirting this year, Hall is trading in his age 25 year of freestyle in favor of folk (assuming he takes an olympic redshirt) .  This also assumes that he does not go the Kyle Snyder part time NCAA wrestler route, which I am not yet sure whether Cael is in favor of.  Of course, all that assumes he stays at Penn State as an NCAA wrestler the entire time.  A lot of variables.  

About Mark Hall, will he be 25-26 years old by the time he graduates? Does having so much deferred time put his post-college/international career at risk? I guess 26 isn't that old to shift 100% to freestyle but it does seem like it would narrow his window a little bit.

Recent history would indicate that training and competing as an NCAA athlete in a top program does not put one's international career at risk.

I would think, to the contrary, that it is the opinion of the PSU staff that being a member of the collegiate team up to 2020 and into Hall's mid-20's is actually the best path to international success.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling

I've talked about Hall staying in redshirt to physically mature, but I forgot about his age.  He's 20, he may not mature that much more.  That said, it's his career, it seems apparent he could have the spot if he wanted it.  If he wants to redshirt, good luck to him.  Has there ever been a 25 year old 5th year D1 senior who didn't take a Mormon trip or military?

I've talked about Hall staying in redshirt to physically mature, but I forgot about his age. He's 20, he may not mature that much more. That said, it's his career, it seems apparent he could have the spot if he wanted it. If he wants to redshirt, good luck to him. Has there ever been a 25 year old 5th year D1 senior who didn't take a Mormon trip or military?

At 25, he'd have to be a 6th year, dummy. He's basically the same age as Logan was (same month).

Which would make him a 6th year senior. Would it not?

Sigh.  Fine:  Has there ever been a guy competing at 25 yoa without taking a Mormon trip or military?

I imagine maybe someone who suffered an injury may have been the answer.  Hall will be the most high profile guy I can think of.

Sigh. Fine: Has there ever been a guy competing at 25 yoa without taking a Mormon trip or military?

I imagine maybe someone who suffered an injury may have been the answer. Hall will be the most high profile guy I can think of.

Not that I can think of. Hall would be 25 and 2 months at nationals. Grajales was 24 and 5 months. Howe 24 and 8 months.

Well I suspect Sanderson will pull Hall's reshirt if the weekend doesn't go well. FWIW, he is also bringing Hall on the trip even if he doesn't wrestle. But if he doesn't rumor has it that Sanderson is a pretty good coach, who makes pretty good decisions, and wins a lot of really important wrestling tournaments (I am getting old but if memory serves he was a better than average wrestler too). I am 100% sure he knows more about college wrestling, and his own team, than I do. 

You do know that sauriano has beaten Spencer Lee, right?

It all depends on if Lee can grow into the weight. If he can, I honestly think he has a very good shot at matching Cael's record. He's that good. If he's mostly done growing, then I think his stature will be prohibitive. On talent alone, he's only rivaled by a few (Snyder, Hall, and that's about it).