Sign in to follow this  
Jasonmitchell32

Marsteller

Somebody who knows a lot about this; personally and as a profession, if he hit his bottom (and it was quite the bottom), and can move on, he is an amazing talent who can do well going forward. The courts, if he is knocking himself out (and he obviously is) tend to be forgiving and are down with second chances. He also seems to have a lot of support. I get the programs cutting him loose. They are not drug and alcohol institutions, and I suspect they tried to get him there. But that doesn't always work. I always wish the best for people trying the best. Everything I have heard (and I heard about his issues early on) says he is/was a great kid who had issues. If he can put that behind him I think he will do well not only in wrestling but as a human being. The second being the most important. 

My mother-in-law, who courageously battled cancer for over 10 years, told me something that will always stick with me.  Her optimism was unbelievable.  She said, "sometimes you have to go through the bad to get to the good".  Marvelously simple, but so true.

I hope Chance has "gone through the bad" and can now find "the good".

Edited by ClawRide

I'm aactually surprised a school is letting him in as an assistant, even volunteer, so soon after these issue. This day an age most programs usually cut ties with people for far less and won't consider bring you in until years after these issues have ran there course. Hopefully it's a step in the right direction for him though.

I'm aactually surprised a school is letting him in as an assistant, even volunteer, so soon after these issue. This day an age most programs usually cut ties with people for far less and won't consider bring you in until years after these issues have ran there course. Hopefully it's a step in the right direction for him though.

I was surprised by this also,  The article stated that the wrestlers and the wrestlers parents as a group petitioned the school board and athletic department to make this happen.  

I was thinking the 5 year clock.

I believe it's 10 semesters use 8 semesters of eligibility. Lots of guys have had segmented time in their college eligibility. I think the "clock" is more of a "stop watch". 

I believe it's 10 semesters use 8 semesters of eligibility. Lots of guys have had segmented time in their college eligibility. I think the "clock" is more of a "stop watch". 

D1 is a 5 year clock.  10 semesters(8 to compete) does not apply to D1 it only applies to DII and DIII.

D1 is a 5 year clock.  10 semesters(8 to compete) does not apply to D1 it only applies to DII and DII

I'm pretty sure DII follows the same rules as DI and DIII does not follow that rule at all. DIII gets 8 semesters period but no age limit or "clock"  I can think of numerous examples across all sports where people in their 30's, 40's, and even older have participated in athletic events. A couple years ago some late 40's retired firefighter was on a DIII wrestling team and some 60 year old was a place kicker in FB.  

I believe the clock can be "stopped" under some circumstances but I do not know the exact conditions. 

I'm pretty sure DII follows the same rules as DI and DIII does not follow that rule at all. DIII gets 8 semesters period but no age limit or "clock"  I can think of numerous examples across all sports where people in their 30's, 40's, and even older have participated in athletic events. A couple years ago some late 40's retired firefighter was on a DIII wrestling team and some 60 year old was a place kicker in FB.  

I believe the clock can be "stopped" under some circumstances but I do not know the exact conditions. 

Zebra, DII and DIII do not follow the same rules as DI.  Once Marstellar started school at OK State, his 5 year clock started. From the NCAA handbook

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

Division II 10-semester/15-quarter clock: If you play at a Division II or III school, you have the first 10 semesters or 15 quarters in which you are enrolled as a full-time student to complete your four seasons of competition. You use a semester or quarter any time you attend class as a fulltime student or are enrolled part-time and compete for the school. You do not use a term if you only attend part-time with no competition or are not enrolled for a term.

Edited by Roadkill