Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Team t row and funky mercenary group

I understand him not wrestling. I don't under him letting himself become obese. He knows what to do to correct it and is simply being lazy.

Tom Rowlands was a multiple high school state and national champ...a collegiate 4x AA and multiple NCAA champ...5th in the world...and a  2x Olympic Trials finalist.  Now he's a husband and father of four with a successful career and an entrepreneurial venture (Rudis) that seems to be doing well.  We should all be as lazy as Tom Rowlands.  

Tom Rowlands was a multiple high school state and national champ...a collegiate 4x AA and multiple NCAA champ...5th in the world...and a  2x Olympic Trials finalist.  Now he's a husband and father of four with a successful career and an entrepreneurial venture (Rudis) that seems to be doing well.  We should all be as lazy as Tom Rowlands.

None of his past accomplishments are relevant to his work ethic today. If it's true that he's obese today then, no, we all should not be as lazy as Rowlands. Imagine saying the same thing about Rulon when he ate his way to the size of a large refrigerator.

Tom Rowlands was a multiple high school state and national champ...a collegiate 4x AA and multiple NCAA champ...5th in the world...and a 2x Olympic Trials finalist. Now he's a husband and father of four with a successful career and an entrepreneurial venture (Rudis) that seems to be doing well. We should all be as lazy as Tom Rowlands.

Nothing but respect for his accomplishments. I was and am a huge fan. He obviously wasn't lazy.

Now he is an adult with a family. There is no excuse for being obese. It is a choice he made. It is simple (not easy!) to correct. He obviously has it in him, but the excuses he makes on his podcast constantly are just that. Excuses. He can do it if he truly wanted to.

Nothing but respect for his accomplishments. I was and am a huge fan. He obviously wasn't lazy.

Now he is an adult with a family. There is no excuse for being obese. It is a choice he made. It is simple (not easy!) to correct. He obviously has it in him, but the excuses he makes on his podcast constantly are just that. Excuses. He can do it if he truly wanted to.

You must live a perfect life.  

You must live a perfect life.

Of course I don't. Tommy has accomplished far more than I have. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

He is an athlete however. He has a responsibility to represent a healthy lifestyle. What he does impacts young wrestlers. They look up to him because of his accomplishments and he is choosing to be lazy about his diet. It is frustrating to see someone who can have such a positive impact on our youth doing this.

His constant excuses on his podcast are a weak attempt to justify this.

Of course I don't. Tommy has accomplished far more than I have. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

He is an athlete however. He has a responsibility to represent a healthy lifestyle. What he does impacts young wrestlers. They look up to him because of his accomplishments and he is choosing to be lazy about his diet. It is frustrating to see someone who can have such a positive impact on our youth doing this.

His constant excuses on his podcast are a weak attempt to justify this.

You're worried about kids in this country seeing overweight people?  70 % of the country is overweight.  The president is overweight.  Last time I checked, he lives in a free country.  The same freedoms that allow you to anonymously trash one of our country's great wrestlers allow him to live his life how he likes. 

Start by addressing your own problems (whatever they may be) before going after Rowland's. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

BMI is complete crap. Tommy's BMI at his fighting weight in 2008 would have considered him obese too, and that's at the peak of his competitive career.

You guys make it seem like he's walking around at like 450 or something.

How big is he now?

It is a health issue. I don't care about his appearance. He should be a healthy role model to his fans, seeing as he is an incredible athlete.

I am not fat shaming the guy, as you are implying.

The Fuhrer of Health and Wellness has spoken. No more chicken nuggets for Tommy!

bSMupC3.gif

BMI is complete crap. Tommy's BMI at his fighting weight in 2008 would have considered him obese too, and that's at the peak of his competitive career.

You guys make it seem like he's walking around at like 450 or something.

Yeah can't believe someone on a wrestling forum actually tried citing BMI.

Also, this thread is worthless without pics.

The US military begs to differ.

The BMI used in the USMC can also lead to spurious results. If you exceed their weight limit for your height you will get taped. This is done around the neck and stomach area. If you are a gym rat with a thick neck and don't have love handles you still might not meet their BMI standards. When I was in it seemed like the main thing was weigh as much as you want, just don't look like a bag of azz in uniform. That was ten years ago... Not sure what its like now? Even if you are tubby and don't meet the standards you likely won't get discharged because you are fat. You need to be a major sh!tbag to get discharged for being fat.

The BMI used in the USMC can also lead to spurious results. If you exceed their weight limit for your height you will get taped. This is done around the neck and stomach area. If you are a gym rat with a thick neck and don't have love handles you still might not meet their BMI standards. When I was in it seemed like the main thing was weigh as much as you want, just don't look like a bag of azz in uniform. That was ten years ago... Not sure what its like now? Even if you are tubby and don't meet the standards you likely won't get discharged because you are fat. You need to be a major sh!tbag to get discharged for being fat.

I got out 23 years ago. Agreed, the military's BMI "test"  is ridiculous. What did it consist of? They measured the chest/neck/belly of a soldier and pronounced him fit or fat!  I knew a guy ripped like Lesnar and about 240 pounds (and maybe 5'11") , and the Army said that dude was overweight!  I suggested he be tested using the accurate water immersion method and the First Sergeant told me "no, he has to meet the ARMY STANDARD!!!". Well, by the Army's retard standards the guy was "morbidly obese". So stupid. The Army was trying to maintain a bodybuilder was a fat slob, lol.

Looks like the "modern standard" is that the Army is worried that their soldiers might look chubby. Oh no, the guy we're sending overseas to kill people is sending the wrong impression with that pot belly! But, nobody ever accused the military of being ran by smart men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235960/

Edited by TobusRex

I got out 23 years ago. Agreed, the military's BMI "test" is ridiculous. What did it consist of? They measured the chest/neck/belly of a soldier and pronounced him fit or fat! I knew a guy ripped like Lesnar and about 240 pounds (and maybe 5'11") , and the Army said that dude was overweight! I suggested he be tested using the accurate water immersion method and the First Sergeant told me "no, he has to meet the ARMY STANDARD!!!". Well, by the Army's retard standards the guy was "morbidly obese". So stupid. The Army was trying to maintain a bodybuilder was a fat slob, lol.

Looks like the "modern standard" is that the Army is worried that their soldiers might look chubby. Oh no, the guy we're sending overseas to kill people is sending the wrong impression with that pot belly! But, nobody ever accused the military of being ran by smart men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235960/

Yeah, I was in artillery. IMO having big hosses on the gun line humping around 90+ lb high explosive rounds is mission critical.

It's hilarious that some people on here think that someone in their 30's who thinks that they are not in good enough shape to compete with college wrestlers in their prime means they are "obese" or should have to apologize for setting a bad example