Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Dean v. Nickal

Biggest names in wrestling: People outside of wrestling know these top three guys at say ESPN and the UFC and youth wrestling. Olympic and NCAA champs with major shoe deals is what they all have in common.

1.Cael Sanderson

2.Kyle Snyder

3.Jordan Burroughs

4 Jake Varner

Biggest names in wrestling: People outside of wrestling know these top three guys at say ESPN and the UFC and youth wrestling. Olympic and NCAA champs with major shoe deals is what they all have in common.

1.Cael Sanderson

2.Kyle Snyder

3.Jordan Burroughs

4 Jake Varner

1.Cael Sanderson

2.Kyle Snyder

3.Jordan Burroughs

4 Jake Varner

Varner?  I'm fairly certain a lot of people you would generally consider "casual wrestling fans" don't know Varner.  If you consider Rulon or Gable as "in wrestling" they are both easily as famous as Cael, if not more.  

I realize they're not still technically in the sport, but their main association remains with wrestling (rather than MMA, for instance).  

OK, here is is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L84GX2Nc94

At 5:24 on the video, Nickal is driving underneath for the far ankle; at 5:26, Martin rolls it through for 2+4.  So you call it a throw, I call it a pick - but more to the point, I think, Nickal is trying to force something that really isn't there.  He'll need to avoid that when he wrestles Dean, Gabe is pretty good at capitalizing on that kind of mistake.

A bit off topic, but this match is why I think we should compete on the whole square of the wrestling mat like Judo, instead of a circle. Martin's back points could only have happened in 4 spots on the mat. Having a square in a square could potentially free up a lot of room to wrestle.

Dean beat Dudley decisively, but it wasn't exactly a blowout. Dudley's length gave him some trouble. Nickal looks like he's got two inches on Dudley, who has two inches on Dean. That said, Dean wasn't yet the Destroyer of Worlds last year.

Should be really interesting if they meet.

Dean also majored Dudley last year 11-3 Grapple at Garden

I agree NCAAs has to end with HWT and should be marketed around Snyder who is fun to watch and a good interview.  I also agree that I am more interested in the 184 pound showdown.  That isn't a knock on HWT as I was most excited for that showdown last season when Snyder beat Gwiz.  I just think the Bo Gabe match is an interesting clash of styles and body types between two guys who look unbeatable right now.  That is the perspective of an already established fan though which is nothing like the guy or girl channel flipping or the general sports fan who might be interested in watching an Olympian.