boconnell

OSU vs Iowa

You have a point there, man. Brock is a squirrelly son of a bitch, lol. I love guys like that. I was like that, but not as good :D

You shock me, saying Boyd is better than he showed vs Brooks. Sure you are a Hawkeye fan? :D  I agree...I think Boyd is much better than he showed, but Good Lord, that victory margin, lol.

Edited by TobusRex

Regarding Clark/Brock. I have to say...I'm a believer in Kaid Brock's abilities at this point. He didn't only beat Clark...exactly a year earlier he pinned the **** out of Brewer, the defending NCAA champ, AS a true freshman. Holy ****. The win over Clark was just window dressing. Brock's for real. I don't think it's a fluke he beat Clark, even though Clark is probably better in absolute terms (only because of age). He just outwrestled Clark. It was a close thing, and he essentially held on to win after a couple squirrely takedowns. It was kinda fluky, I thought. But you know what? Brock knows how to win. Winning ugly impresses me.

and Brock didn't open up and wrestle, he wrestled pretty conservative (for him) sounded like his coach wasn't necessarily happy with the taking his foot off the gas.  Clark is a stud, he could win that matchup, but Brock also has more offense than he showed in the match.  Personally I thought Brock was going to get pinned early, still don't know how he avoided back points given how deep Clark had it, but bet he doesn't find himself in that position next time.

and Brock didn't open up and wrestle, he wrestled pretty conservative (for him) sounded like his coach wasn't necessarily happy with the taking his foot off the gas.  Clark is a stud, he could win that matchup, but Brock also has more offense than he showed in the match.  Personally I thought Brock was going to get pinned early, still don't know how he avoided back points given how deep Clark had it, but bet he doesn't find himself in that position next time.

Good point, he did get conservative and stop working for points. VakAttack, I think you have to give creedence to this. Clark was fighting to get back in the match...but Brock took his foot off the pedal and got conservative. Thoughts?

Good point, he did get conservative and stop working for points. VakAttack, I think you have to give creedence to this. Clark was fighting to get back in the match...but Brock took his foot off the pedal and got conservative. Thoughts?

I think brock will clean it up next time around as well, if I remember correctly he tried two 360 takedowns, one he avoided a Clark takedown and the second didn't he give up one??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My thoughts are that is typically how high level folkstyle matches go, sadly.  Most guys, when they have a lead on another top level guy, shell up a bit.  there are exceptions, but generally that's true.  Also, Brock never scored off his own takedowns.  He countered for his first one, and the second one he hit a sprawl and spin go behind that I don't think was actually a TD.  So my thought is that Clark is hard to wrestle, lol.

My thoughts are that is typically how high level folkstyle matches go, sadly.  Most guys, when they have a lead on another top level guy, shell up a bit.  there are exceptions, but generally that's true.  Also, Brock never scored off his own takedowns.  He countered for his first one, and the second one he hit a sprawl and spin go behind that I don't think was actually a TD.  So my thought is that Clark is hard to wrestle, lol.

Those counters though. God damn. That boy is squirrelly as hell, lol. You know...that's a GOOD thing. Brock will be at least a 2 time NCAA champ. Of course, I said the same thing about Schlatter :D

No doubt he is good, and the counters, especially the dive-thru, were amazing feats of athleticism.  I just don't think that's likely to happen against Clark again.  He cleaned up his wrestling and went more high percentage with his offense, which is how he (Clark) scored, using Russian ties and such.

Cael was actually in redshirt, though, the whole year.  Stieber and Brock were wrestling official, attached matches.

How fair is that, though? Cael loses his first year in college, gets a free pass..>Brock actually STARTS his first year, gets an injury loss during his true freshman year, and that is held against him?

Naw...Brock is as undefeated as Cael was, so far, imo :D

Edited by TobusRex

I think Brock has tons of room left for improvement.  He is also 12 months from major knee surgery.  I think the Brock a year from now will be much better than the Brock today.  I think he attacks at a high rate, takes lots of chances, and it gets him in trouble positionally and when he runs out of gas.  I think Brock is a bad match for Clark in some ways because of his athleticism, but Clark is just as bad a matchup for Brock because of his match tactics, positioning, top work, and gas tank/work rate.  This year Brock has repeatedly tried to escape by going a little bit to his back.  I don't think all of his issues will be cleaned up by March, but I think he has a super high ceiling and he'll get there eventually.

K Brock OSU bio says "Was awarded medical redshirt for the 2015-16 season"

If he competes in an OSU singlet as an attached wrestler, the bouts count - regardless of whether he received an Medical RS. same thing applied to Burroughs and Steiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't his matches last year count?  I feel like Stieber's did.  Maybe I'm wrong?

Whether they count or not, does it matter, he had an injury default.  He did use his redshirt last year.  But the whole undefeated thing isn't important anyway.

Whether they count or not, does it matter, he had an injury default.  He did use his redshirt last year.  But the whole undefeated thing isn't important anyway.

He had an injury default in am atch he was losing comfortably, as I recall, so it matters I think.  Plus it's definitely an official loss, unlike an MEDFFT.

He had an injury default in am atch he was losing comfortably, as I recall, so it matters I think.  Plus it's definitely an official loss, unlike an MEDFFT.

But they get treated the same injury default when winning by 14 or losing by 14 so an official loss, and pretty much no way was he going to win that match, but I really don't think we are going to have to worry about that loss.

But they get treated the same injury default when winning by 14 or losing by 14 so an official loss, and pretty much no way was he going to win that match, but I really don't think we are going to have to worry about that loss.

I mean I don't have to worry about it at all.  It doesn't affect me in any way.  What do you mean worry?

If Brock were to go undefeated for 4 years, there will always be an asterisk next to his record with that loss. Because he would have been undefeated in the 4 years he won a title. Official record or not people will remember that. That being said I don't see him winning it this year.