Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

Great Sumo match.

I know there are other Sumo enthusiasts around here. On the first day of the current Hatsu Basho there was a great unusual technique in a match between mid-maegashira rikishi Chiyoshoma and Yoshikaze.  Yoshikaze sends Chiyoshoma for a ride using the relatively rare tsuriotoshi technique.

You can fast forward to the 2:15 mark if you want to avoid the stomping and salt throwing, but I like that kind of stuff.

Edit: This is actually a digest of the first day of the current Basho.  It's a great way to quickly view all the bouts in the top division without all of the ceremony.  The individual bout is posted below.

Edited by akaoni

the smaller guy won right? kept his back arch and stayed off of the ground until the bigger touched both his hand and his knee. but the ref pointed to the bigger guy?

He should have won, but it was eventually decided to restart the match, which he won officially this time.

On a side note, Asashoryou has been the president of the Mongolian Wrestling Federation for some time. I read that he resigned after the Olympic striptease scandal.

The cushions or zabuton are traditionally thrown when a Yokozuna or Grand Champion is defeated (edit: by a non-yokozuna sumo tori) .  It's not really dissapointment but rather celebration of a momentous win.   Asashoryu was a Yokozuna and it appeard he was defeated which was why the zabuton were thrown.  After the "monoii" it was decided to refight the match so the cushion throwing was technically incorrect.  Of course the announcers always futilely request for attendees not to throw cushions, but they do it anyway. 

Edited by akaoni

Yes, he was very dominant in the early 2000s.  First Mongolian Yokozuna, probably only overshadowed by modern Champions: Hakuho (current Mongolian Yokozuna with most Tournament Wins ever) and Chiyonofuji.  Very entertaining, pugnatious champion.

The current January Sumo Tourney (Hatsu Basho) has been really fun.  Another super rare winning technique (kimarite) Ipponzeoi or over shoulder arm drag.  More commonly found in Judo, this technique was executed by wily veteran Takekaze.  Only the 7th time since 1927 that this move has won a match.  

Edited by akaoni

Thanks for this post! I love sumo.

Also, they totally need an outfit update. Maybe compression shirt and shorts. ;^)

The belts or mawashi are key to many sumo techniques w/o the belts Sumo is half the sport it is now.  The cheeks are really no big deal.

The tourney just ended on Sunday.  Kisenosato won with a 14-1 record and was promoted to Yokozuna!  The first native Japanese Yokozuna since Wakanohana in 1998.  Big event in Sumo and could lead to a resurgence in popularity in Japan.  We'll see.

Thanks for this post! I love sumo.

Also, they totally need an outfit update. Maybe compression shirt and shorts. ;^)

That would assuredly make the sport more popular and immediately double the participation rate ; )