TBar1977

Over/Under How many times will

Sam Stoll push Shafer straight off the mat this Sunday? The over / under is set at 6.5.  

I'll take the under, in fact I will GUARANTEE that Stoll won't push Shafer off the mat even once this Sunday, the answer is zero!

Sam Stoll push Shafer straight off the mat this Sunday? The over / under is set at 6.5.  

The thing is according to Iowa fans its Shafers job to circle, threrefor that's stalling on Shafer. But according to Iowans referees and officials in every sport are out to get Iowa. So stalling wont be called on Shafer.

last time I saw a rulebook, it is stalling to push someone straight off the mat.  Hopefully someone will call it at some point.

The last time I checked, it is very hard for a man that is over 225lbs to be pushed ANYWHERE.  It's not like Stoll pushes anyone like a football dummy sled.  He gets some form of an upper body lock and then the opposing wrestler backpedals every bit as much as he is pushed.  There are points when pushing should absolutely be called stalling, but if you  think many(if any) of Stolls opponents are in any way fighting to improve their position in most of those cases, you are extremely anti-Iowa bias.

Edited by MSU158

MSU, this may shock you but if you think about this a little, a Penn State fan should want Sam Stoll to prevail over Schafer in this dual and then at NCAA's as well. I don't think it is in Penn State's best interests for Schafer to be placing higher than Stoll. 

It is purely in the interest of the sport that I bring this issue up. If this were not an issue then the rule book would not have brought it to the forefront when they re wrote the rule to include it. I just want them to enforce the rule. 

Edited by TBar1977

MSU, this may shock you but if you think about this a little, a Penn State fan should want Sam Stoll to prevail over Schafer in this dual and then at NCAA's as well. I don't think it is in Penn State's best interests for Schafer to be placing higher than Stoll. 

It is purely in the interest of the sport that I bring this issue up. If this were not an issue then the rule book would not have brought it to the forefront when they re wrote the rule to include it. I just want them to enforce the rule. 

First off, that is assuming that Iowa won't be in contention if that match ensures Stoll makes the podium in March.  Secondly, I don't agree that what Stoll does is what the Stall Call was designed for.  Most of his opponents are trying to back out of a hold and are as much to do with their going backwards as Stoll is.

I'm an Iowa guy and I'll admit that Stoll does push on the edge sometimes,but generally his opponents aren't presenting themselves to wrestle.  If a guys trying to constantly circle back in and Sam just tries to push them out sure he should be dinged.  But Stoll is a pretty smart and self-interested wrestler.  Once the ref dings him he generally adjusts his approach, however Stoll generates a lot of his offense from marching foward in hold whether it be throws, trips, or shot.  It seems pretty counter productive to penalize the aggressive wrestler and award the passive one.  

MSU... Tb's actual technical wrestling knowledge is......... pretty much non existent. From a prospective of the casual observer/fan it DOES look like Stoll is pushing guys out (and sometimes he is). Those with technical knowledge know otherwise and see what is actually happening.

MSU... Tb's actual technical wrestling knowledge is......... pretty much non existent. From a prospective of the casual observer/fan it DOES look like Stoll is pushing guys out (and sometimes he is). Those with technical knowledge know otherwise and see what is actually happening.

Often times. 

I knock refs a lot, but the hardest thing to call is when one wrestler moves forward and controls the center and makes no committed attacks, while the other wrestler backpedals to setup shots.  Jordan Oliver backed up constantly but had a relatively high attack rate (except for his last year at 133), and yet he never got stalling in his favor in college even when he scored constantly.  I guess it was the cost of the backing up.

Last year's Anthony Collica/Mayes matchup was a great example.  Collica pushed forward, slapped at legs, and always controlled the center.  Mayes backed up to get guys moving forward as a setup for his double.  The ref awarded the guy who made no attacks.  I didn't like it, but it's hard to know what to do in those spots.  

???

It was 1975 according to this article on Kurdelmeir. They used a 74 feet by 74 feet mat against the Sooners. Described under the heading "From big mats to big money, Iowa's innovator." In all of the matches, only one was stopped for going out of bounds, and the entire dual was wrestled in 56 minutes. Also, fans received McDonalds for holding the Sooners under 10 points that dual.

Edited by clonefan

Under.

Hawks pulling the 2 acre mat they used in the field house in the 80's

The outer is a crop circle :-)

Um, did you know this is going to be @ OSU? Or is Iowa bringing their own mat down there and it just hasn't been announced yet?

It was 1975 according to this article on Kurdelmeir. They used a 74 feet by 74 feet mat against the Sooners. Described under the heading "From big mats to big money, Iowa's innovator." In all of the matches, only one was stopped for going out of bounds, and the entire dual was wrestled in 56 minutes. Also, fans received McDonalds for holding the Sooners under 10 points that dual.

So Iowa is going to haul the big mat (gonna take a bigger bus) down to Stillwater and force OSU to use it?  ;_;

Regardless, it was good reading. Thanks