MSU158

Boy do I love me some Gilman(More fuel for his haters)

I love this talk. And I'm probably in the minority, but wrestling needs Gilman types. Imagine mma with every interview being "i just need to get on my offense, score points". People love or hate McGregor because of his talk, throwing a water bottle at Diaz, bringing hostility. The guys at the weigh in that kiss the other guy or other disrespectful things, fans outside of wrestling eat that up. Mma fans, or sports fans outside of wrestling would eat up Gilmans antics, via love or hate. We need to embrace that, wrestling is a combat sport, let it get hostile some times.

The guy's a stud. I still don't like him, but I appreciate this statement coming from a guy like him. That said, I really hope that this remains the exception more than the rule. Personalities, sure! But belligerence is near, and I'm too proud and disciplined to be a fan of a bunch of degenerates. 

On another note, PSUMike, are you saying that a bigger version of a Gilmanish-tough-guy is more acceptable than a smaller one? If Gabe Dean was an angry, trash talking, sore loser, would you think he was more justified in being uncivilized? I don't get it. 

PSUMike

Not a fan but this doesn't bother me in the least. His tough-guy post-match posturing is rather irritating though, especially coming from a 125er. 

Those that are truly "the best", are often times the most humble.  Let's ask our most recent Olympic Medalists if they trash talk, and walk around with an overflow of machismo... 

Kyle Snyder... what say you?  (one of the most humble you'll meet btw)

J'Den Cox... what say you?  (after the Beef Wellington into the Table fiasco, very mild mannered)

Jordan Burroughs... thoughts?  (has he "ever" talked trash?)

The "BEST" in our sport understand and realize that this is actually an "art"... a "martial art" if you will... and respect their opponent like they respect themselves.  

The bravado may be good for ratings, may be good for MMA/Boxing, but, I feel detracts from the sport.

Get on the mat, do your job, pretend like you've been there before, and destroy your opponent.  Allow your actions to speak louder than your words...

Its a combat sport. Fans outside of wrestling want someone to either root for or root against. Things get heated in a match. Boxing and mma got big for a reason. You can be against that stuff, but that doesnt mean it shouldn't exist. Other people love that kind of stuff. You can be the best and not be humble, but people within our community like the humble attitude, which is why that is the norm. I feel like if ESPN did a special on Gilmans antics though, it would bring in fans, just to watch him.

Then I'm simply old-fashioned, out of touch, and out of date... because yes... I think the bravado is a waste of breath, waste of energy and a waste of time.  

I'd appreciate Gilman and his ACHIEVEMENTS much more if he were humble... our sport is NOT boxing... our sport is NOT MMA... our sport is what we make it though... and if all of our Top guys start doing this, then I too will distance myself from the sport.  Will it bring more fans?  Probably... 

But... ever see the movie Idiocracy?  yeah... it would turn into something kinda like that...

No, it's not boxing, or mma, but it also isnt thriving. Something has to change. I honestly feel that if ESPN did a special showing some of the antics that Gilman or other wrestlers like that did, it would bring some fans in. We have to do something. Sticking with the old school way will kill us.

No, it's not boxing, or mma, but it also isnt thriving. Something has to change. I honestly feel that if ESPN did a special showing some of the antics that Gilman or other wrestlers like that did, it would bring some fans in. We have to do something. Sticking with the old school way will kill us.

The same MMA fans who cheer this stuff boo the second a fight goes to the ground and looks anything like a wrestling match.  Our fan problem is not that we don't have enough trash talkers.  

I chose the word "degenerates" deliberately - Not to diminish Gilman, but more to bristle at the idea of more baggage being more interesting. I'd rather remain the dependably tough, hardworking, underrated and unexpectedly useful community that we are, than be the belligerent, loudmouth bunch of show-offs that this could become.

Thanks, Gilman. You continue to make expectedly bold and arrogant statements. We will silently cheer for you when you win, and exclaim in criticism when you lose! Soon, you'll graduate, and enter the world of grown ups. Hopefully, your exceptional work ethic will land you in a good place. You might even earn the privilege of representing our country, at which point I'll pray that I never have to see you act like the sore loser you were as an adolescent. 

Calling out the rival isn't bad at all. It's very interesting, obviously, but calling this behavior "good for the sport" is short sighted. "Wrestling" is already popularly perceived as degenerate theatre. I'd love to see more of the personality of our NCAA guys, but I sure hope I don't see anyone get into a pissing contest with Gilman. That will not end well. 

I chose the word "degenerates" deliberately - Not to diminish Gilman, but more to bristle at the idea of more baggage being more interesting. I'd rather remain the dependably tough, hardworking, underrated and unexpectedly useful community that we are, than be the belligerent, loudmouth bunch of show-offs that this could become.

Thanks, Gilman. You continue to make expectedly bold and arrogant statements. We will silently cheer for you when you win, and exclaim in criticism when you lose! Soon, you'll graduate, and enter the world of grown ups. Hopefully, your exceptional work ethic will land you in a good place. You might even earn the privilege of representing our country, at which point I'll pray that I never have to see you act like the sore loser you were as an adolescent. 

Calling out the rival isn't bad at all. It's very interesting, obviously, but calling this behavior "good for the sport" is short sighted. "Wrestling" is already popularly perceived as degenerate theatre. I'd love to see more of the personality of our NCAA guys, but I sure hope I don't see anyone get into a pissing contest with Gilman. That will not end well. 

To me personality is Sammy Brooks' awesome mullet interview.  Best interview ever.

The same MMA fans who cheer this stuff boo the second a fight goes to the ground and looks anything like a wrestling match. Our fan problem is not that we don't have enough trash talkers.

Trash talkers in all sports bring conversation, bring fans, either for them or against them. It makes it interesting. Michael Jordan, though he was the greatest of all time, also trash talked. People either liked it or hated it. But it brings conversation. Those MMA fans would hate a lot of wrestlers, but would love a Gilman type. Edited by maolsen

To me personality is Sammy Brooks' awesome mullet interview.  Best interview ever.

I loved that too! He didn't break character, it was entertaining, and most importantly, we saw him having a good time!

That's the good stuff, and I'm not excluding Gilman from that - I don't doubt that he's an honest fella, nor that he's being himself in such an interview. Unfortunately, we've also seen him be a childish prick when it comes to losing. I'm reluctant to celebrate anything about that guy for that reason. 

Gilman has always taken his L's on the chin like a man. If the one match with Waters makes him a sore loser then so be it, but Waters was just as much of a 'punk' in that match. Gilman had the obvious one with the slam, but Waters was giving him cheap shots the whole match. Not as easy to see if you're not paying close attention. 

Edited by LaxHawk174

That was an amazing interview. I also advocate putting that out there because people outside of our community will love it.

On another note, PSUMike, are you saying that a bigger version of a Gilmanish-tough-guy is more acceptable than a smaller one? If Gabe Dean was an angry, trash talking, sore loser, would you think he was more justified in being uncivilized? I don't get it. 

Which is more intimidating?

Here is the beauty of this; everyone doesn't have to be the same.  if you don't like him, root against him.  I don't think it is false bravado though.  I think he lives it. Many of us appreciate that aspect of his persona.    

As for Olympians being meek and humble, what about Tom Brands?  Wrestling has room for all types.  I knew far more Gilman types than the meek ambassadors while wrestling in college, although most pretended to be the later when dealing with the public/media.  Gilman doesn't pretend.  Some fans just can't wrap their minds around that.   

Here is the beauty of this; everyone doesn't have to be the same.  if you don't like him, root against him.  I don't think it is false bravado though.  I think he lives it. Many of us appreciate that aspect of his persona.    

As for Olympians being meek and humble, what about Tom Brands?  Wrestling has room for all types.  I knew far more Gilman types than the meek ambassadors while wrestling in college, although most pretended to be the later when dealing with the public/media.  Gilman doesn't pretend.  Some fans just can't wrap their minds around that.

Unfortunately, most wrestling fans are clueless.

When he goes into the real world, then yes that stuff needs to end. But in the world of competitive sports, its ok. If a middle linebacker said he was going to break a quarterback no one would bat an eye. When they showboat, atleast half the fans love it. Even in ncaa football they love it. These athletes arent living the same world we are right now, and they shouldn't be expected to. They are there to compete, and build a fanbase/brand so they can make money. If smack talk or crazy acts in the office would bring more money, people in the real world would be doing it.

The hard truth about all of this "act like you've been there before" is that we say more arrogant things to one another than we've ever heard from a competitor, but somehow many on this board who make those same comments demand something else from the wrestlers.

Why is it that a martial art sport such as sumo in Japan not only exists, but thrives, without "personalities" and macho talk? I am seriously asking that question, not trying to be a contrarian here. Sumo wrestlers are never in the news and don't talk smack and yet, the tournaments and wrestlers are revered and honored. It could just be a cultural/tradition thing, but the Japanese also embrace some of the sports we do in the West, e.g., baseball.

My point is, sumo thrives (if you get a chance to see a tournament unfold it really pulls you in) with that humble, low-key attitude, why can't wrestling? Does it have to have "flash" to survive in our culture?