MSU158

Boy do I love me some Gilman(More fuel for his haters)

Those that are truly "the best", are often times the most humble.  Let's ask our most recent Olympic Medalists if they trash talk, and walk around with an overflow of machismo... 

Kyle Snyder... what say you?  (one of the most humble you'll meet btw)

J'Den Cox... what say you?  (after the Beef Wellington into the Table fiasco, very mild mannered)

Jordan Burroughs... thoughts?  (has he "ever" talked trash?)

The "BEST" in our sport understand and realize that this is actually an "art"... a "martial art" if you will... and respect their opponent like they respect themselves.  

The bravado may be good for ratings, may be good for MMA/Boxing, but, I feel detracts from the sport.

Get on the mat, do your job, pretend like you've been there before, and destroy your opponent.  Allow your actions to speak louder than your words...

Jordan Burroughs made his twitter handle "All I See Is Gold" before he even won a major international tourney. That doesn't exactly scream humble.

Edited by wrestlingphish

Posting and assigning a handle of "all i see is gold" is aspirational... providing a goal, and objective, without the trash-talk or bravado of what Gilman says or does... 

It's the Egoism vs. Egotism conundrum... EVERYONE should be maximizing their self-interest and potential in this sport, but... is it at or not at the expense of the sport itself.  

Personally, i do feel that the bravado, machismo, heightened sense of superiority needs to and SHOULD exist in our sport... however, it should be demonstrated through the most amazing technique, strength, athleticism, etc.... and NOT through words. 

The more we accept this type of behavior in our sport, any sport, at work, on TV, etc., the "dumber" we all become.  It's the "circus" part of "bread and circus", and for you history buffs out there, that phrase should send shivers down your spine.  Become more troglodyte, embrace all the talk, or become more refined, and let amazing mat skills speak for themselves... 

And... I agree with the above poster... i "hate" no team, no individual, etc. in our great sport... as I am a fan of the sport.  I LOVE seeing total domination, a la Kyle Snyder, Zain, and Nolf completely wrecking their respective weight classes.  Do they have the "tude"?  They're damn good, but they are not on the same level of trash talk as Gilman, and quite frankly, are head and shoulders above their peers

Edited by treep2000

Gilman has always taken his L's on the chin like a man. If the one match with Waters makes him a sore loser then so be it, but Waters was just as much of a 'punk' in that match. Gilman had the obvious one with the slam, but Waters was giving him cheap shots the whole match. Not as easy to see if you're not paying close attention. 

Maybe I've been seeing him all wrong, but you and Vak are admittedly wearing Hawk-shades when you see him. 

My interest in Gilman certainly increased with this statement, and my initial reaction was that I'm OK with a guy like Gilman saying that. I still hope this remains an exception more than a rule.

Posting and assigning a handle of "all i see is gold" is aspirational... providing a goal, and objective, without the trash-talk or bravado of what Gilman says or does...

It's the Egoism vs. Egotism conundrum... EVERYONE should be maximizing their self-interest and potential in this sport, but... is it at or not at the expense of the sport itself.

Personally, i do feel that the bravado, machismo, heightened sense of superiority needs to and SHOULD exist in our sport... however, it should be demonstrated through the most amazing technique, strength, athleticism, etc.... and NOT through words.

The more we accept this type of behavior in our sport, any sport, at work, on TV, etc., the "dumber" we all become. It's the "circus" part of "bread and circus", and for you history buffs out there, that phrase should send shivers down your spine. Become more troglodyte, embrace all the talk, or become more refined, and let amazing mat skills speak for themselves...

And... I agree with the above poster... i "hate" no team, no individual, etc. in our great sport... as I am a fan of the sport. I LOVE seeing total domination, a la Kyle Snyder, Zain, and Nolf completely wrecking their respective weight classes. Do they have the "tude"? They're damn good, but they are not on the same level of trash talk as Gilman, and quite frankly, are head and shoulders above their peers

Only thing I will say that you have to remember. Gilman was ASKED questions. He didn't go out and volunteer his thoughts. He was asked questions and it was refreshing in his honest take on things whether people like it or not.

I have never once seen Gilman go out of his way to spew off at the mouth. His comments were always in response to a question posed to him.

Now for example the Downey kid. He turns me off because he's constantly spewing off on twitter, calling wrestlers bums (Nickal and Dean). Saying he will pin everyone, he's the greatest, etc. this turns me off #1 because no one as asking his opinion and # 2 he hasn't even wrestled in more than 15 or so

College match s in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is more intimidating?

Personally, as someone whose only physical fitness goal it to not get too fat, I know that 99% of NCAA wrestlers could kick my 170lb butt, and I'm pretty sure that's true of all adult men who aren't training to be athletes - that almost all NCAA wrestlers could beat up almost all other men. Sure, Dean would probably squash me into submission faster than it would take Gilman would break my arms off and choke me with them, but that's not the point.

My point is, why does it matter what size the person is, when they're acting in despicable ways? Is it any less despicable when they're too big to be defeated?

Personally, as someone whose only physical fitness goal it to not get too fat, I know that 99% of NCAA wrestlers could kick my 170lb butt, and I'm pretty sure that's true of all adult men who aren't training to be athletes - that almost all NCAA wrestlers could beat up almost all other men. Sure, Dean would probably squash me into submission faster than it would take Gilman would break my arms off and choke me with them, but that's not the point.

My point is, why does it matter what size the person is, when they're acting in despicable ways? Is it any less despicable when they're too big to be defeated?

Agreed, and no, not at all. It's just difficult to take it seriously.

Only thing I will say that you have to remember. Gilman was ASKED questions. He didn't go out and volunteer his thoughts. He was asked questions and it was refreshing in his honest take on things whether people like it or not.

I have never once seen Gilman go out of his way to spew off at the mouth. His comments were always in response to a question posed to him.

Now for example the Downey kid. He turns me off because he's constantly spewing off on twitter, calling wrestlers bums (Nickal and Dean). Saying he will pin everyone, he's the greatest, etc. this turns me off #1 because no one as asking his opinion and # 2 he hasn't even wrestled in more than 15 or so

College match s in his career.

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20170112/wrestling-isus-pat-downey-is-healthy-and-focused-after-recovering-from-rib-injury?start=2

Pretty good article on Downey.

Much ado about nothing.

Gilman didn't call out Picc or anyone in particular, he said it about the entire program - ergo John Smith.

It might be an issue if it weren't true...

But a little talk from a competitor from one of the 2 richest tradition-wise programs in the (collegiate) sport is no big deal.

It's not as if he was commenting about how no-one at the Iowa City Duals wanted to wrestle and they were a bunch of cowards or something similar. He was talking about a team that is ranked #1 in the country.

Gilman was likely echoing things said by the coaches leading up to this week and he's looking to instill some motivation in his team-members.  Leading from the front!

Yah, good on Thomas Gilman, it should get both sides fired up and boost attendance.

IMO most people don't have a huge issue with Gilman's trash talk or mat extracurriculars - they generate excitement and adds to storylines.  It's just really weird when he or his fans act all surprised when opponents retaliate, either physically or verbally.  I mean, this is a kid who says he purposefully tries to get under peoples' skins, and his coaches and teammates seem to encourage those antics.  You can't be shocked when fans cheer extra loudly against him or when an opponent shoves back (or cross-faces hard), that's Gilman's schtick.  It's not unlike fan reaction when self-branded "bad guys" like Grayson Allen take the floor or even when "heel" fake pro wrestlers get their due.  What does he expect?

Jordan Burroughs made his twitter handle "All I See Is Gold" before he even won a major international tourney. That doesn't exactly scream humble.

And let this be a lesson for anyone who publicly announces their personal goals... there will always be those who will try to bring you down

I mean outside of the stalling answer (which I would wager Picc gets dinged at least once) that's all Gilman really did here. He wants to go down there, whoop em, and go home. He's just a little rougher around the edges.

I like Burroughs and think he's a great ambassador for wrestling. His persona is much more refined now but he wasn't always the most humble guy. Does he show a little more respect for his opponents than Gilman? Definitely (except for the Ruskies).

And let this be a lesson for anyone who publicly announces their personal goals... there will always be those who will try to bring you down

Burroughs is the man and although he doesn't trash talk, I would agree that the "All I See Is Gold" handle isn't exactly humble, which was the adjective raised by the post who first mentioned him.

Edited by 1032004

I saw Gilman and Heil exchange some words after the dual was over on Twitter.

To be fair, Gilman lived up to his comments during his match and I find it hard to blame him that the rest of his team didn't show up and invade OSU like a clan of Vikings.