MSU158

Boy do I love me some Gilman(More fuel for his haters)

Something tells me he won't be firing any shots over PSU's way.

Then again, I love it so I hope he does.

I really hope he does. Brings more interest to duals and the sport at large.

I wish more guys would embrace the heel role. Imagine if Nolf talked about how he was going to tech everyone, and then did.

I really hope he does. Brings more interest to duals and the sport at large.

I wish more guys would embrace the heel role. Imagine if Nolf talked about how he was going to tech everyone, and then did.

Fans who think wrestlers should carry themselves like they are members of the UN would have heart attacks. 

Burroughs is the man and although he doesn't trash talk, I would agree that the "All I See Is Gold" handle isn't exactly humble, which was the adjective raised by the post who first mentioned him.

Thanks for validation of my point. You too are condemning a man for making his goal public. If you don't set your goal for "gold" you will probably be settling for silver or far less. I don't view this as having anything to do with humility, by posting a personal goal publicly he just opened an avenue for people to condemn.

Thanks for validation of my point. You too are condemning a man for making his goal public. If you don't set your goal for "gold" you will probably be settling for silver or far less. I don't view this as having anything to do with humility, by posting a personal goal publicly he just opened an avenue for people to condemn.

Having goals and being confident is great and I'm not condemning what Burroughs did, just stating that it wasn't humble. You might want to look up the definition of humble - "not proud or arrogant; modest." Proclaiming you're going to do something before you've actually done it is not humble.

Having goals and being confident is great and I'm not condemning what Burroughs did, just stating that it wasn't humble. You might want to look up the definition of humble - "not proud or arrogant; modest." Proclaiming you're going to do something before you've actually done it is not humble.

You once again are making my point...Don't share your goals publicly as there are people who will find fault (or condemn) such as you have just done (and so have I). I'm on your side bud... I just look at it as a future goal he set and put it out there publicly... You look at it as arrogance. Jordan Burroughs is everything but that.

Again... The guys at the top are representative of our sport.  They're the ones being asked the questions, or grabbing the mic from the nearest reporter.  None of our fellow wrestlers should be walking around like they are members of the UN, our Congress, whatever, but... I do have to ask this... 

Is this behavior "really" ok for our sport?  Are you more proud, both domestically, and abroad, with the old Tony Ramos "macho staredown" (as he got his butt handed to him by Yowlys), or more proud of Kyle Snyder, Jordan Burroughs, Logan Stieber, James Green, J'Den Cox (the list goes on...) of their personas?  

Gilman's trash talk does NOTHING but set him up for a bar that he may never reach.  Unless you're tech'ing/pinning everyone, and then going international and replicating the feat, then I suggest a bit of humility.  The bravado is false, and quite frankly, is disappointing to watch.  

Now... do I like it when Bo Nickal came up from pinning the Rutgers kid the other day, pumped beyond belief, and yelling out with pure adrenaline?  ABSOLUTELY.  Did I like it when Kyle Snyder draped the flag around his body after winning his first WC?  ABSOLUTELY.  Our sport is all about adrenaline... Our sport is all about man-to-man combat.  Each time someone runs their mouth, there is someone there to stomp you down.  Olympic Champs lose.  World Champs lose.  NCAA Champs lose.  Knock it off people... be humble.  Have some humility, while all the while clinging to that aspirational goal of becoming the absolute best.  THAT is what makes our sport great.  Not some trash-talking guy who... oh... in about 5 years, we won't be able to remember his name because he can't make the team at 57kg, 61kg or 65kg... 

Just sayin'... 

Wrestling is about whatever you want it to be, provided you follow the rules.  Just because you would like some athletes to behave like others doesn't mean they should or that everyone else agrees with you.  As far as personality being good or bad for the sport, I don't agree that everyone saying the same things and celebrating the same way is good for the sport.  

Again, you don't have to like him.  I certainly won't try to convince you to.  I bet many who share your feelings tune in more when he is on though because they want to see him lose.  

Those who enjoyed Thomas Gilman's pre-match interview will also like what Chandler Rogers and Anthony Collica said in the post-meet presser.  It was kind of perfect, everyone had a pretty good laugh:

Reporter:  What did Gilman's pre-match comments do for you guys?

Rogers:  I didn't hear him but I'll be praying for him, that's all I can say

Collica: I try not to listen to that kid, he's not the brightest

If that doesn't heat up the rivalry and get fans in seats, I don't know what will, lol!

Gosh, I wonder if people will be as fired up about Collica throwing a personal insult out there, lol.

Not that I care.  They won, let them talk their smack.  They earned it.  Well, Rogers earned it.  Collica didn't do anything (neither did Sorensen, before anyone starts calling it whining).  This kind of bad blood is good, IMO.

So almost everyone in this forum? (Com'on, at least once, no?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me tell you something. I have no respect for a wrestler that isn't part *******. You got to be an ******* to go out and beat some other guys ass, physically, in public. And not only that..but to RELISH it. To feel the rush of absolutely kicking the **** out of somebody who is doing his damndest to kick the **** out of you. There is nothing more pure this side of murder or love.

God I love it. Probably more than the 8 beers I've drank so far today.

Gosh, I wonder if people will be as fired up about Collica throwing a personal insult out there, lol.

Not that I care. They won, let them talk their smack. They earned it. Well, Rogers earned it. Collica didn't do anything (neither did Sorensen, before anyone starts calling it whining). This kind of bad blood is good, IMO.

Collica earned it too. Sorenson didn't intentionally lose the match. Collica's actions led to him winning the match. That's something. Edited by bigmik

I'd follow Matt Brown citizen solider. He may have some training by now and doesn't seem rash or impulsive. More Omar Bradley/Eisenhower and less Custer/Patton. But Custer worked most of the time too - eh, except that once ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it that a martial art sport such as sumo in Japan not only exists, but thrives, without "personalities" and macho talk? I am seriously asking that question, not trying to be a contrarian here. Sumo wrestlers are never in the news and don't talk smack and yet, the tournaments and wrestlers are revered and honored. It could just be a cultural/tradition thing, but the Japanese also embrace some of the sports we do in the West, e.g., baseball.

My point is, sumo thrives (if you get a chance to see a tournament unfold it really pulls you in) with that humble, low-key attitude, why can't wrestling? Does it have to have "flash" to survive in our culture?

I lived in Japan for over a decade and could not agree more.  Thank you for posting.