wrestlingphish

Dake officially back to 74kg

Also, for example, let's just say Dake wins the Open, gets the bye to the Trials finals and goes on to win a World medal. Does he and others still want the format changed? Or would they want to keep it as is where a World medalist gets a bye to Trials finals and wrestles the challenge winner that same day? 

Not being a wise guy, just asking a fair question.

Edited by 2td3nf

It's like you can hear DT's sigh of relief.

Dake has to be worried about his record of 0-123 against Taylor in fantasy wrestling. To make it worse Dake has not won even One Spanish Grand Prix while Taylor had two so far.

Getting real - this should push Jordan Burroughs so we find out if he has lost it at the very top level. If he can come through with a win at the trials he'll take another world title. Dake will push him and right now I bet it is even up based on the last time they wrestled.

Dake needs to wrestle some real people and win some real matches and stay real healthy else imaginary wins over JB and imaginary Spanish Grand Prix championships will be his future. Good luck Mr. Dake, expectations are high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The process ought to be designed to best determine the wrestler most likely to win a medal at World's/Olympics.  It should not be about someone earning an advantage.

I believe the process should be changed to be as follows:

1) If there is no returning medal winner at a weight.....

a)US Open is held and a National champ is crowned.

b) Trials part 1 are held.  Winner is crowned. [uS Open champ can choose to participate in Trials part 1 or sit out.]

c) If the same person who won the US Open also won Trials part 1, they earn a spot on the team.  

d) If different people won the US Open and Trials part 1, they wrestle at scratch weight in Trials part 2 in Colorado on a different date -- best 2 of 3.  Winner makes the team.

2)  If there is a returning medal winner at a weight.....

a) Returning medal winner gets automatic bye to finals of US Open -- which is held on day 2 of the US Open.  US Open champ is crowned.

b) Trials part 1 are held.  Winner is crowned. [uS Open champ can choose to participate in Trials part 1 or sit out.] 

c) If the same person who won the US Open also won Trials part 1, they earn a spot on the team.  

d) If different people won the US Open and Trials part 1, they wrestle at scratch weight in Trails part 2 in Colorado on a different date -- best 2 of 3.  Winner makes the team.

I also believe that the advantage given to the returning medal winner is only given if that person competed in at least two International tournaments (from a pre-defined list of specific tourneys) between Worlds/Olympics and the US Open.  By competed, I mean made weight and wrestled in at least one bout.

This approach accomplishes several things.

1. Ensures returning medal winners are in the mix of the at least one of the most decisive bouts in determining who makes the team.  

2. It protects against one of our top guys getting beat by some sort of fluke and missing the team,

3. It makes the US Open important to returning medal winners, thus elevating the significance of that event.

4, By having the (if necessary) bout at CO, it eliminates the costs of having a 3rd event at major venue.

5. It adds another date on the calendar for fans to watch this great sport...The "if necessary" date in CO. 

Edited by Angry_Fish

The process ought to be designed to best determine the wrestler most likely to win a medal at World's/Olympics. It should not be about someone earning an advantage.

I believe the process should be changed to be as follows:

1) If there is no returning medal winner at a weight.....

a)US Open is held and a National champ is crowned.

b) Trials part 1 are held. Winner is crowned. [uS Open champ can choose to participate in Trials part 1 or sit out.]

c) If the same person who won the US Open also won Trials, they earn a spot on the team.

d) If different people won the US Open and Trials, they wrestle at scratch weight in Colorado on a different date -- best 2 of 3. Winner makes the team.

2) If there is a returning medal winner at a weight.....

a) Returning medal winner gets automatic bye to finals of US Open -- which is held on day 2 of the US Open. US Open champ is crowned.

b) Trials part 1 are held. Winner is crowned. [uS Open champ can choose to participate in Trials part 1 or sit out.]

c) If the same person who won the US Open also won Trials, they earn a spot on the team.

d) If different people won the US Open and Trials, they wrestle at scratch weight in Colorado on a different date -- best 2 of 3. Winner makes the team.

I also believe that the advantage given to the returning medal winner is only given if that person competed in at least two International tournaments (from a pre-defined list of specific tourneys) between Worlds/Olympics and the US Open. By competed, I mean made weight and wrestled in at least one bout.

This approach accomplishes several things.

1. Ensures returning medal winners are in the mix of the at least one of the most decisive bouts in returning to the team. It protects against one of our top guys getting beat by some sort of fluke and missing the team,

2. It makes the US Open important to returning medal winners, thus elevating the significance of that event.

3, By having the (if necessary) bout at CO, it eliminates the costs of having a 3rd event at major venue.

4. It adds another date on the calendar for fans to watch this great sport...The "if necessary" date in CO.

We will call it the Dake amendment. Edited by tbert

It will be really nice if JB runs through the challenge tourney and then runs through the best of 3 finals so all this p!ssing and moaning about medalists getting byes to the finals will die down.

Disagree.  It's a tremendously unfair advantage.  The field should be the same for everyone at the World/Olympic trials.  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

Some people go to the olympic trials as spectators.  You can't have the best part of the event not happen there.  

Fair comment.  But I suspect this would only happen in a minority of the weights.  I suspect the winner of US Open would also win Trials Part 1 in a minority of the weights.

I doubt it would affect attendance or viewership of Trials Part 1 materially.  If this happened, my suggestion would be that Trials Part 2 be held the same weekend as part 1, but on the following day.  This has drawbacks too though, but I believe my original proposal, as well as this tweak to it would be far superior than the current process.  The current process is actually affecting which weights the wrestlers choose to compete.  The drawback(s) to my plans eliminate (or greatly reduce) that likelihood at the expense of minor, IMO, inconvenience to some (not all) fans.

Thanks for the comment though.  Your point is legitimate.