125: No. 17 Barlow McGhee (MIZ) dec. Justin Patrick (UB): 3-2
133: No. 12 John Erneste (MIZ) dec. No. 17 Bryan Lantry (UB): 8-5
141: No. 9 Jaydin Eierman (MIZ) dec. Jason Estevez (UB): 6:12
149: No. 4 Lavion Mayes dec. (MIZ) Colt Cotten (UB): 8-3
157: Phyllip DeLoach (MIZ) dec. Alex Smythe (UB): 7-4
165: No. 4 Daniel Lewis (MIZ) maj. dec. Austin Weigel (UB): 12-0
174: Dylan Wisman (MIZ) dec. Muhamed McBryde (UB): 8-3
184: Brett Perry (UB) dec. Matt Lemanowicz (MIZ): 2-1
197: No. 16 Nate Rose (UB) tech. fall Jayden Bears (MIZ): 17-0 (4:57)
HWT: Austin Myers (MIZ) dec. Jake Gunning (UB): 6-1

Mayes legit punched his opponent,:

http://www.ubbullrun.com/wrestling/2017/1/12/14259764/punching-is-not-allowed-in-ncaa-wrestling

20170112_Cotten_punch.gif

It was reviewed and UB was awarded a penalty point.

But appears should be a DQ, 6pt for UB for match win & subtract 1 team point from Mizzu & wrestler sits out next event. Unless I'm missing something, thought that used to be the rule?

Watched it live. Buffalo had collar tie and under chin, pulling Mayes for a few steps. Once Buffalo had the tie and started pulling, Mayes started tapping the chin hand almost immediately but ref let it continue. That's when the body shot happened. Ref went to video review but no DQ. No fireworks in handshake line afterwards and Mayes did go through.

I agree you should be DQ'ed for a punch like that, but Cotten was wrestling dirty throughout the match.  Earlier he was penalized a point for smacking Mayes in the head, at one point Mayes let out a yell because Cotton was bending his fingers back trying to escape, and then just about 2-3 seconds before the punch Mayes was trying to signal the ref that Cotten was choking him under the head tie, and the ref did nothing.  So it's not like it was a punch out of the blue, it was in response to the choke.  I've been watching Mayes wrestle for the last 4 years and have NEVER seen him do anything unsportsmanlike.  So it's a pretty good bet that it was retaliation for the way Cotten was wrestling.

Edited by KCMO2

I'm not defending his response because I think it was wrong, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that in Mayes' mind, it was a justified response.

Edited by KCMO2

Watched it live. Buffalo had collar tie and under chin, pulling Mayes for a few steps. Once Buffalo had the tie and started pulling, Mayes started tapping the chin hand almost immediately but ref let it continue. That's when the body shot happened. Ref went to video review but no DQ. No fireworks in handshake line afterwards and Mayes did go through.

So it may very well be that the ref saw the choke before the punch in the video review, hence a reasonable call. The video above doesn't show all & doesn't show what the ref reviewed.

Not defending him because I agree you should be DQ'ed for a punch like that, but Cotten was wrestling dirty throughout the match.  Earlier he was penalized a point for smacking Mayes in the head, at one point Mayes let out a yell because Cotton was bending his fingers back trying to escape, and then just about 2-3 seconds before the punch Mayes was trying to signal the ref that Cotten was choking him under the head tie, and the ref did nothing.  So it's not like it was a punch out of the blue, it was in response to the choke.  I've been watching Mayes wrestle for the last 4 years and have NEVER seen him do anything unsportsmanlike.  So it's a pretty good bet that it was retaliation for the way Cotten was wrestling.

I'm not defending him but here's a paragraph of me explaining why it was justified....

That was more tongue in cheek but Waters was doing little cheap shots that whole match. 

KCMO2, you were defending Mayes any way you slice it. Much like Iowa fans defended Gilman. I am pretty sure I can give a reasonable argument as to why Gilman felt he was justified. Don't be so outwardly hypocritical.

Ok, fair enough.  After re-reading my initial response maybe I was defending him, so I edited it and took that part out.  But I still feel that while the response was not appropriate, Cotten was asking for it.  Don't like it, TS.