Sign in to follow this  
FLONYC13

Upset of the Week!

My upset of the week: Gross dec. Brock. Gross has a single overtime loss on the year to a very game Montoya. Don't get me wrong I think Kaid is an absolute stud, but I think we have to add context to his win against clark. I don't think he had that controversial 2 against Clark and I also think Clark is far from 100%. And just to be clear, I'm not an IOWA fan.  POST YOUR UPSET OF THE WEEK! 

This upset could absolutly happen. Brock struggled to get out from under Clark, and Gross is a different animal on top. Brock needs to get multiple takedowns and avoid having to go underneath, Gross may pick top and will need to get turns not just riding time to win, IMO.

My upset of the week, Preisch over Realbuto.

I also think we'll see an upset in the Iowa/PSU dual, just not sure how big of an upset we'll see. Carton over Gulibon or Stoll over Nevills would qualify as an upset, but not a huge upset. Maybe something unexpected like Gunther over Joseph? Joseph has had gas tank issues in the past, Iowa guys known for their tanks and pushing the pace, at Carver-Hawkeye, maybe just maybe? Ok probably not, but I think Gunther over Joseph is far more likely than any of the PSU big 3 going down.

Edited by MA_Wrestler

This upset could absolutly happen. Brock struggled to get out from under Clark, and Gross is a different animal on top. Brock needs to get multiple takedowns and avoid having to go underneath, Gross may pick top and will need to get turns not just riding time to win, IMO.

I also think we'll see an upset in the Iowa/PSU dual, just not sure how big of an upset we'll see. Carton over Gulibon or Stoll over Nevills would qualify as an upset, but not a huge upset. Maybe something unexpected like Gunther over Joseph? Joseph has had gas tank issues in the past, Iowa guys known for their tanks and pushing the pace, at Carver-Hawkeye, maybe just maybe? Ok probably not, but I think Gunther over Joseph is far more likely than any of the PSU big 3 going down.

Gunther over Joseph? That's pretty out there. Good luck with that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunther has a 0.10 percent chance he is beating Joseph. 

Upset I want to see. No brainer. Suriano over Gilman. Won't predict it (yet) though. 

The upset I will predict is Colton McCrystal over Tommy Thorn. That might not be considered an upset by some rankings, but I used wrestle stat. 

Others worth watching not including the obvious (Massa - I Mar) matches or those already mentioned. Lower ranked guy first, higher ranked guy in bold. 

Ethan Ramos takes on Zahid Valencia. Last time that went down Zahid won 11-10., but Ramos was coming on strong at the end. 

Nathan Butler vs. Tanner Hall. Butler lost in TB2 last time they met, but Butler has been on a down streak of late. Can he turn it around? 

Micic over Zane Richards. Is this even an upset now? Micic might be higher rated? 

Piotrowski vs. Austin Assad. Myles Amine vs. Zac Brunson

Justin Oliver vs. Lavion Mayes.

Jack Mueller vs. "Pal Joey" Dance

Edited by TBar1977

I don't recall John Smith ever having a guy avoid bottom during the regular season.  He didn't even let Gelogaev do it and he despised bottom.  My guess is we see Brock underneath for better or worse.

Suriano over Gilman--- This is from the gut!

On paper 30% chance Suriano win---- accomplished 5th year SR VS True Frosh

Gilman is huge for the weight---the match is in Iowa--Gilman very good!

if this upset happens It will be interesting to see how Gilman and Brands react.

Suriano over Gilman--- This is from the gut!

On paper 30% chance Suriano win---- accomplished 5th year SR VS True Frosh

Gilman is huge for the weight---the match is in Iowa--Gilman very good!

if this upset happens It will be interesting to see how Gilman and Brands react.

I will join you on this one. Suriano has risen to every challenge and I think he keeps rising. I will up the ante too: I think he dominates on the feet and wins easily.

When did Joseph have "gas tank issues" in the past? 

He would have if he had not followed it up with an "I don't believe this....." statement.

I believe it enough to predict it, right? I just didn't want to get flamed for seven pages.

Nolf is clearly one of the best P4P wrestlers in the country, but he does have weaknesses (who doesn't?). He can get sloppy when in beast mode. Also, I've noticed Nolf tends to give up on certain positions a little sooner than I'd expect from a guy of his caliber when he is very confident (which is always... except against Imart) because he "knows" he can just restart from a fresh position or escape quickly and then rattle off half a dozen unanswered TDs.

Kemmerer can scramble well enough to capitalize on Nolf's mistakes if Nolf comes out guns blazing, which Nolf may do given the "big brother" dynamic between the two. Kemmerer is also shifty enough to contain Nolf a few times, although I am not confident that he can withstand 7 minutes of Nolf trying to big brother him. But the thread title is Upset of the Week, so picking a slight favorite to win doesn't count.

I wouldn't bet very much on it (i.e. I'd be willing to bet MSU158's max if I got 2:1 odds, but that's about it), but it's seriously my pick this week and not some random attempt to capitalize on the least likely upset of the week.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I believe it enough to predict it, right? I just didn't want to get flamed for seven pages.

Nolf is clearly one of the best P4P wrestlers in the country, but he does have weaknesses (who doesn't?). He can get sloppy when in beast mode. Also, I've noticed Nolf tends to give up on certain positions a little sooner than I'd expect from a guy of his caliber when he is very confident (which is always... except against Imart) because he "knows" he can just restart from a fresh position or escape quickly and then rattle off half a dozen unanswered TDs.

Kemmerer can scramble well enough to capitalize on Nolf's mistakes if Nolf comes out guns blazing, which Nolf may do given the "big brother" dynamic between the two. Kemmerer is also shifty enough to contain Nolf a few times, although I am not confident that he can withstand 7 minutes of Nolf trying to big brother him. But the thread title is Upset of the Week, so picking a slight favorite to win doesn't count.

I wouldn't bet very much on it (i.e. I'd be willing to bet MSU158's max if I got 2:1 odds, but that's about it), but it's seriously my pick this week and not some random attempt to capitalize on the least likely upset of the week.

Ok, I'll give you the not wanting to get flamed for seven pages argument. Last year I did for guaranteeing Nolf would make the finals and had the odds with Martinez at 60/40 for Martinez. 

That having been said you post read more like an "I'll throw this out there as a guess and if it happens I'll come back and say "See, See, I told you so" than an actual prediction. 

Edited by Zebra

The Nolf/Kemmerer prediction may not be as wild as some think.  They're both W PA kids (District 7) and both trained with the Young Guns under Strittmatter so they may know each other pretty well.

This could play a big role in the Nolf/Kemmerer matchup. Also Nolf is good, but people have to remember that he lost twice last year. He's certainly beatable.

This could play a big role in the Nolf/Kemmerer matchup. Also Nolf is good, but people have to remember that he lost twice last year. He's certainly beatable.

Both times on a TD to an NCAA champ, who he pinned earlier in the season. Other than that he's pretty much destroyed everybody else around.