Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

PSU - IOWA predictions

When was the last time Rutherford's been taken down, anyway?

I am not sure, but he didn't look good.  Perhaps a good wake-up call?  Perhaps Nolf is handling him in practice too much?  Anyway, this could be a good thing.  I doubt it'll be this close again, but this is why they wrestle. 

What an absolutely stellar match.  Great job by both guys.  Sorensen can beat Retherford!  Will he?  I don't know.

To be fair, everything will have to go right.  We will see soon enough. 

I am not sure, but he didn't look good.  Perhaps a good wake-up call?  Perhaps Nolf is handling him in practice too much?  Anyway, this could be a good thing.  I doubt it'll be this close again, but this is why they wrestle. 

I forget the match but Retherford has been taken down this year at least once.

If Sorenson didn't score his takedowns, Retherford dominates the match. Maybe not score wise, but like he did in his last decision match against Sorenson. He was still able to get his takedowns against a good defensive wrestler like he always does. The difference is Sorenson found his offense.

The difference was that Sorensen made adjustments from bottom to avoid the RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here’s my overall take.

Suriano was circling backwards the entire match. He should have been hit for stalling several times. Sure he stayed backing up in the center but he took 1 half shot in the first 6:30. Gilman was wrestling to not lose; he will not do that again.

I do not know exactly how bad Clark is hurt. That was a match that should have lasted no more than 4 minutes and it went the full 7.

Guilbon needs to either pull his head out of his butt or immediately get to 133. Wrestling like that will not cut it in March.

Was Retheford sick? I doubt we’ll see him like that again.

Once Nolf got going he showed that he’s going to win every match this year. Next time may not go the full 7 minutes.

Joseph has some talent but he has to learn you can’t let off the gas against college wrestlers. Even average college wrestlers are good and will take advantage if you let them.

Hall needs to wrestle better than that. He’s got the talent and has shown it but that was a totally lackluster performance.

Nickal is the kind of guy you cannot make a mistake on or he will make you pay. Good reaction and positional awareness.

McCutchen is slow and plodding like Godzilla, unfortunately there are several other “Monsters” in that weight class who will beat the giant lizard.

Too bad for Stoll. That weight class is wide open after the top 4. Nevills should be in that top 4.

Edited by Zebra

PSU looks like a team in preseason.  You can tell they haven't wrestled tough matches yet this year.  Retherford looked punch drunk on his feet halfway through the 3rd.  Great job by him to push through though.  It's impressive they look even this good in hostile territory with so little competition so far this year.

Not sure, thought Suriano, Guilibon, Nolf, Nickal, and Neville looked quite good. 

Zain had the same type of match against Clagon last year.  Everybody is entitled to a bad night.  

He'll be back to his dominance at the Big10 tournament.

Maybe, and although stats won't prove it, he has looked "off" to me the matches.  I think Zain will get it together, but Jordan, Collica, and Sorenson have reason to hope. 

I am not sure, but he didn't look good. Perhaps a good wake-up call? Perhaps Nolf is handling him in practice too much? Anyway, this could be a good thing. I doubt it'll be this close again, but this is why they wrestle.

He didn't look good, because Sorenson actually had offense. He got his takedowns like he always does. Sorenson wrestled better then he ever has against Retherford. Thats why Retherford "didnt look good" Retherford hasn't pinned/teched Sorenson every time they have wrestled. Retherford has dominated, but if Sorenson didn't score his takedowns, Retherford dominates just like he did the first time they wrestled.

If Sorenson didn't score his takedowns, Retherford dominates the match. Maybe not score wise, but like he did in his last decision match against Sorenson. He was still able to get his takedowns against a good defensive wrestler like he always does. The difference is Sorenson found his offense.

In his last decision match, didn't he score a takedown and get a ton of riding time? He wasn't guaranteed to duplicate that performance had Sorenson not scored. He didn't end regulation with a riding time point. He didn't ride for the entire 30 seconds during both OT ride outs.

Not sure, thought Suriano, Guilibon, Nolf, Nickal, and Neville looked quite good. 

Nickal did.  Nevills crushed an overmatched guy.  

Suriano backed up the entire match and even when losing made very little real effort to score late.  I would give odds that Nolf wins by more than 6 next time.  I thought he was flat and didn't wake up until half way through the match.  

Gulibon had a come from behind win over a top 20 guy.  If the expectations with Gulibon have fallen so far that this is a good performance, that says a lot.  

In his last decision match, didn't he score a takedown and get a ton of riding time? He wasn't guaranteed to duplicate that performance had Sorenson not scored. He didn't end regulation with a riding time point. He didn't ride for the entire 30 seconds during both OT ride outs.

Has Sorenson ever looked that good against any of the top guys? Retherford didnt look as good as he usually does, because Sorenson wrestled his best match in college. Sorenson, for the first time against an elite guy, looked exciting. This match was about Sorenson wrestling well. Not Retherford not setting up shots well, which was what you said. If your arguement was that Retherfords defense wasnt as good as normal, I'd have less of an arguement. Retherfords setups arent why the match was that close. It was Sorensons takedowns Edited by maolsen

125:  Suriano needs to commit to some shots prior to the 3rd period.  Gilman is tough to score on.  Nice win for Gilman, but, Suriano proved he can hang with the best.

133:  Carpenter always gives 100%, but, Clark is in another league.  I was hoping George could keep it to a major, but, it became clear that wasn't going to happen as the match went on.

141:  This could be a big win for Gulibon.  Something mentally clicked for him in that 3rd period.  He isn't a great chain wrestler, but, he has a nice shot.  He needs to get in deep on the shot or he struggles to finish.  Terrible defense in the 3rd by Carton.  

149:  I have to give credit where it is due.  Sorensen wrestled a phenomenal match.  I didn't think he could ever take Zain down (or would even truly attempt to) and he did it twice.  Clutch escape and takedown by Zain to even get it into O.T.  Sorensen also did a great job on bottom.  That was what wrestling is all about.  My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking.  No excuses from this PSU fan, Sorensen showed me something I wasn't aware he had in him.

157:  I would discredit Kemerer for being defensive, but, Nolf doesn't even give guys a chance to be offensive.  He just never, ever stops pushing the pace.  I don't know if I've ever seen anyone with a bigger gas tank than Nolf.  I was very impressed with Kemerer's scrambling ability in the 1st period, but, Nolf just wore him down.

165:  Cenzo seemed to gas after a solid 1st period.  He was getting in on the double with ease in the 1st, but, then he allowed himself to get tied up in the 2nd and 3rd (probably because he was tired), which slowed down his offense.

174:  I know that everyone is going to be disappointed with Mark Hall.  I was slightly disappointed myself.  However, I am confident that he will be fine.  Getting thrown into a match at HCA against a 5th year Senior, returning All-American is a tall task.  Hall showed flashes of what he can bring to the table (his 2nd takedown on the duck was beautiful), but, he also showed that he is human and a true freshman.  I think he will make some noise in St. Louis, but, credit to Meyer for pulling off a great win.

184:  Bo is so fun to watch.  No matter what the score, you can never count him out of a match.  In this case, it was over before it started.  That spladle was odd.  He had it locked up, but, had to struggle to get his leg in and finish it.  He must be ridiculously strong despite his lanky build.

197:  McCutcheon and Wilcke are both way too small for 197.  I was disappointed that McCutcheon gave up the tying TD in the 3rd, but, he did what he had to and gutted out a tough win.  My expectations aren't real high at this weight.  McCutcheon is a grinder, but, he is extremely small for this weight class (Same for Wilcke)

285:  Nevills with a rare case of having a huge size advantage just bullied his way to a win.  I hate seeing that injury to Sam Stoll.  Wrestlers work so damn hard.  It really sucks to have it taken away in back to back seasons.

I thought I was going to nail my 24-11 prediction (though it wouldn't have been close to how I expected them to get there), but, these matches were much closer, in many weights, than I had expected.  Hats off to Iowa, as they definitely came to wrestle.  Also, one has to always appreciate any win in that arena.  They don't come easy or often.

Great dual.  Very entertaining to watch.

Has Sorenson ever looked that good against any of the top guys? Retherford didnt look as good as he usually does, because Sorenson wrestled his best match in college.

I think both Retherford and Sorenson looked less than their best. I think Sorenson can wrestle a lot better, but the same goes for Retherford.

Also Retherfords setups and early shot attempts were bad. There is more to that than Sorenson's defense. That is a lack of solid technique on Retherford's part. For whatever reason, he was forcing things tonight when they weren't there.

More aggressive than Gilman.

Are you kidding?  He ran from him by circling inside the inner circle for the first 5 minutes.  He refused to engage, refused to attack, refused to tie up, and made zero attacks.  Gilman chases him that entire time.  Then when the match was decided, he made a few half shots in the last minute that didn't even elicit a full sprawl from Gillman.  

If you think Suriano was the more aggressive wrestler you have a shocking level of bias.  

Nickal did.  Nevills crushed an overmatched guy.  

Suriano backed up the entire match and even when losing made very little real effort to score late.  I would give odds that Nolf wins by more than 6 next time.  I thought he was flat and didn't wake up until half way through the match.  

Gulibon had a come from behind win over a top 20 guy.  If the expectations with Gulibon have fallen so far that this is a good performance, that says a lot.  

I will watch again, but thought Suriano held center quite well, and Gilman was more reluctant to engage. 

I will watch again, but thought Suriano held center quite well, and Gilman was more reluctant to engage. 

The announcers even commented on how well Suriano held center. You are spot on. Gilman typically DOMINATES the mat and relentlessly backs opponents up. Suriano was rarely even close to the edge. 

At 125, If that is the Suriano that comes out, Gilman shouldnt be worried. He was never close to anything that was going to be a score. That being said, he could have purely been seeing what he can do to get in on Gilman. If that's the case, he could steal a win. Im not a fan of either team, I like penn states offensive mentality, and that iowa generally will try to break you, but I'm not rooting for either team. But if i werent looking into it too much a and just watching the match , Gilman will win every match this year.

Are you kidding?  He ran from him by circling inside the inner circle for the first 5 minutes.  He refused to engage, refused to attack, refused to tie up, and made zero attacks.  Gilman chases him that entire time.  Then when the match was decided, he made a few half shots in the last minute that didn't even elicit a full sprawl from Gillman.  

If you think Suriano was the more aggressive wrestler you have a shocking level of bias.

Suriano had his back to the center the entire 3rd period with Gilman having his back to the edge the whole time. Suriano took 3 shots in the 3rd period to Gilman's 0. If the script is flipped, Iowa fans are on here begging for stalling for like 4 pages worth of threads. With all that said, Gilman deserved the victory tonight as he capatilized on the takedown. I think this was a preview of the Big 10 and NCAA finals and I wouldn't be shocked if Suriano comes out on top of one of those matchups.

I think both Retherford and Sorenson looked less than their best. I think Sorenson can wrestle a lot better, but the same goes for Retherford.

Also Retherfords setups and early shot attempts were bad. There is more to that than Sorenson's defense. That is a lack of solid technique on Retherford's part. For whatever reason, he was forcing things tonight when they weren't there.

When has Sorenson ever looked better then that. Defensively maybe he's looked better, but overall?

When does Iowa give that Brands brothers a bid hug, thank them, and then pull out the checkbook and Tom Ryan and knock off PSU?  Iowa is trending the wrong way.  Or maybe not, but its time to ask the question.

Nope, I am not kidding.  Wow, need to see your definition of chase. 

In regard to bias, why would I...because I disagree with you?  I call it as I see it; I don't have any team in particular.  In fact, not a big fan of New Jersey.  Gilman made one solid attack in the 1st period and didn't do anything going forward.  I thought that Suriano held the center better.