Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

PSU - IOWA predictions

Wow, I can't believe this nonsense.  I can't remember a dual where both teams slugged it out in the middle of the mat like they did.  Congratulations to both teams.  Reminds me of Teddy's famous speech..

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. 

Also, while I am on the topic of great wrestling.  I like PSU but you have to be impressed with how well coached Iowa is.  It is very rare that you see a guy struggle to get off bottom from Iowa and their head/hands defense is awesome.  Two very well coached teams, I just think Cael has more talent to work with.

Edited by pennsyrules

Also, while I am on the topic of great wrestling. I like PSU but you have to be impressed with how well coached Iowa is. It is very rare that you see a guy struggle to get off bottom from Iowa and their head/hands defense is awesome. Two very well coached teams, I just think Cael has more talent to work with.

Great post.

Iowa grades

125:  Gilman not as active as he could have been, but also never in danger of losing the match.  Suriano didn't engage for the vast majority of the match.

133:  Clark dominated, as he should have.

141:  Disappointing result from Carton.  Not because he lost, but HOW he lost.  He fell apart and was barely defending in the third.

149:  Match of the year.  Sorensen was right there with Retherford on his feet, but Retherford's superiority on the mat was the difference.  Once we hit OT, Retherford was clearly just waiting for the rideouts.  Sorensen either needed to get after it more in the neutral portions OR be a little smarter after Retherford escaped from Sorensen's second takedown.

157:  Kemerer showed nice defense, but that's it.  I think he has the talent to wrestle with Nolf, but this was domination.  Never close to a TD.

165:  Gunther is who he is.  Very limited, but strong.  Joseph needs to get that tank in order if he's going to score big points.

174:  The second peak of the dual (after 149).  Very bold and showy of Cael to pull Hall's RS for the Iowa dual.  I respect that power move.  It backfired, but still.  Hall's talent is clearly there, but he's definitely small and will struggle against bigger guys with tanks and good mat wrestling.

184:  Great 38 seconds from Brooks.

197:  Wilcke continues to be better than I thought but not good enough to matter at the NCAA Tournament.  Gotta be a letdown for Penn State fans that this match went the way it did.

HW:  Holloway just isn't that good.  He was gassed by the second.  Dominant performance from Nevills, as it should have been.

Well I was speaking euphemistically when I said 6:30. I would have thought that was obvious but maybe not. He did move forward the last 30 seconds and Gilman did have about 20 second of RT so maybe in reality it was 4:30, or 4:39, or 5:01 if you add up all the time, but I promise you if you watch that match with a critical eye looking at his feet you will see he did exactly what I said. Lots of small 5-6 inch steps backwards in relation to Gilman's 5-6 inch steps forward. Gilman did not press the issue and the ref was not going to call stalling in that situation even though it was clearly warranted.

Interesting. I will watch the match again and keep this in mind.

I have already stated my disagreement. What else do you want? Suriano stood toe to toe with Gilman for 7 minutes and Gilman took 1 shot the whole match and danced the rest of it. Those were his own words, btw. If Gilman was so much better he'd have figured out a way to show it last night and he did not. The two are very close.

Well if you are going to be this one sided and refuse to recognize the facts of the dual and rewatch them and answer legit and pertinent questions then I wish you would stop posting because your are clearly a blind homer who adds little to nothing besides "PSU CAN DO NO WRONG!" But that isn't gonna stop happening so idk maybe suck less as a poster?

Edited by wrestlingphish

Well if you are going to be this one sided and refuse to recognize the facts of the dual and rewatch them and answer legit and pertinent questions then I wish you would stop posting because your are clearly a blind homer who adds little to nothing besides "PSU CAN DO NO WRONG!" But that isn't gonna stop happening so idk maybe suck less as a poster?

You are butthurt. I get it.

I don't have an issue with small backward steps while not leaving center. Lots of good wrestlers do that effectively against highly aggressive wrestling (IMart vs Nolf). What Suriano lacked was an effective set up and solid shot to exploit (overly? Gilman doesn't become overly aggressive often) aggressive pursuit. Through my PSU glasses, I'm hoping Suriano can develop the shot that wins later down the road. He has the tools in neutral to do so. We'll see if he solves the puzzle. Gilman is not an easy target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone is suggesting small backwards steps by themselves constitute stalling. It's the combination of small backwards steps and lack of engagement that is in question. Gilman didn't help the case since he himself wasn't exactly out for blood after the first attack. But that should be irrelevant if the refs were perfect, which they never are.

I wouldn't have called Suriano for stalling because he stayed in the center and Gilman didn't force anything.  

And this is all that is being said. Gilman wrestled better by virtue of him converting his first period TD. He won. These things are both true. 

If Lee and Warner redshirt next year.....

125- Suriano / Wagner

133- Cortez / Laux

141- N. Lee / Happel or Turk

149- Retherford / Sorensen

157- Nolf / Kem

165- Joseph / Marinelli

174- Hall / Young

184- Nickal / Wilcke or Bowman

197- Cutch or Cassar or Rasheed / Holloway or Wilcke or Bowman

Hwt- Nevills / Stoll or Costello or Holloway

YES

125- Suriano / Wagner

133- Cortez / Laux

157- Nolf / Kem

165- Joseph / Marinelli

174- Hall / Young

YES

That is likely wrestled at Bryce Jordan. Could be a long day for Iowa.

Edited by TBar1977

My thoughts:

125 - Yes, the final score was a 1 point match but Suriano was never close to anything offensive. It's pretty clear that Gilman is a full step above Suriano right now. I don't see Suriano beating him. 

133 - Clark did what he needed to do. Carpenter was just severely overmatched. Played out as it should have.

141 - Took Jimmy a bit to get going but once he did, he looked great. Started off with the same issues he normally has not being able to finish but he looked very good in the 3rd. Still needs to start stronger and work on finishing but I'm happy with the performance. 

149 - Zain did not look good, period. He was sluggish and slow. Off night or sick. Sorenson wrestled him well but they are pretty clearly different level wrestlers. 

157 - This is the first time I've seen Nolf really struggle to finish shots. But his pressure was just too much. He completely gassed Kemmerer out by the 3rd and took over. Kemmerer looked very good but Nolf is just too good, too well conditioned, and too strong. 

165 - Cenzo started strong but I think he just gassed out. Needs to work on that if he expects to finish as high as most hope. Clearly has the talent when fresh. 

174 - I was very vocal about keeping Hall in RS this season. It's unnecessary to pull it. This match showed why. He's just too small right now for 174. If he wrestles like he did at the Scuffle, I think he can beat anyone. If he wrestles like he did on Friday, then I'm not sure he scores much in March. Geno is at least consistent. 

184 - Bo is a freak. I still think Dean will beat him but I have no reason to count him out. He's just so dangerous. 

197 - Oh Cutch. There was no reason for that match to be that close. At the minimum, he should have won a clear decision if not bonus. If he can get his **** together, I'll be more optimistic. But until then, I don't know what to think.

HWT - Nevills beat the hell out of an overmatched opponent. Not much to take away. Like 133. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting small backwards steps by themselves constitute stalling. It's the combination of small backwards steps and lack of engagement that is in question. Gilman didn't help the case since he himself wasn't exactly out for blood after the first attack. But that should be irrelevant if the refs were perfect, which they never are.

Do you think Kemmerer stalled against Nolf?

And this is all that is being said. Gilman wrestled better by virtue of him converting his first period TD. He won. These things are both true. 

I feel that Gilman deserved the win, just surprised by his lack of aggressiveness against a TF when trying to set a tone.  He got the win, so that's the important thing. 

125- Suriano / Wagner

133- Cortez / Laux

157- Nolf / Kem

165- Joseph / Marinelli

174- Hall / Young

YES

I am not sure why Lee would redshirt since he will be as every bit as prepared as Suriano.  I know it is reported that he is undersized, but he doesn't look that undersized to me (very big legs), and he has a lot of time left.  If you are as good as he is, you don't have to be big for the weight. 

I am not sure why Lee would redshirt since he will be as every bit as prepared as Suriano.  I know it is reported that he is undersized, but he doesn't look that undersized to me (very big legs), and he has a lot of time left.  If you are as good as he is, you don't have to be big for the weight. 

I agree. He doesn't need to, but he should.  Iowa isn't winning with him next year.  They need to delay his eligibility.   3 years of Lee w/out Nolf, Nickal, Nevills