Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

PSU - IOWA predictions

Did Sam Stoll get dinged up last weekend? If he is good to go, I think he could get the win over Nick Nevills since it'll be his first time (and a few others') wrestling at Iowa. I know these wrestlers are used to competing in front of big crowds, but CHA is a whole other thing I think. It's the same reason why I think Thomas Gilman will have that much more of an edge over Nick Suriano.

Good point. Considering the biggest crowd Penn State has wrestled in front of this year was probably at the Keystone Classic, it will be interesting to see if they can handle the pressure of the hostile Iowa crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. Considering the biggest crowd Penn State has wrestled in front of this year was probably at the Keystone Classic, it will be interesting to see if they can handle the pressure of the hostile Iowa crowd.

Didn't they sell out the BJC for the Lehigh dual?

SC_Wrestling, on 18 Jan 2017 - 9:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Didn't they sell out the BJC for the Lehigh dual?

Maybe they wrestled behind that crowd.

Stall calls and then taking advantage of poor shots caused by those stall calls is 100% of his offense against anyone in the top 12. 

If Stoll can't get to his "offense" against Nevills, it's going to be a long night for him, especially on bottom. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Guest Kingsland

125 Gilman dec Suriano 3-0

133 Clark md Carpenter 7-0

141 Guilibon dec Carton 7-3

149 Retherford dec Sorenson 7-6

157 Nolf md Kemerer 7-10

165 Joseph md Gunther/St. John 7-14

174 Meyer dec Morelli 10-14

184 Nickal dec Brooks 10-17

197 McCutcheon dec Wilke 10-20

285 Nevilles dec Stoll 10-23

23-10 Psu

Did Sam Stoll get dinged up last weekend?  If he is good to go, I think he could get the win over Nick Nevills since it'll be his first time (and a few others') wrestling at Iowa.  I know these wrestlers are used to competing in front of big crowds, but CHA is a whole other thing I think.  It's the same reason why I think Thomas Gilman will have that much more of an edge over Nick Suriano.

I also thought Stall got dinged up last week, after he hit hard out of bounds in the third there was no pushing from him and I felt that's why he got taken down?

My take, FWIW: 

125:  Gilman dec. Suriano.  3-0 Iowa

* I can honestly see Gilman getting the Major here.  I think Suriano is due for his "Freshman Wakeup Call".  If Hall can have it vs. Brucki, Suriano can have it vs. the #1 guy at 125, that is a senior, and is quite frankly running through the weight class.

133:  Clark TF Carpenter:  8-0 Iowa

*  With Cortez out, any of the backups are going to be dismantled handily.  I think Clark is closer to 100% than folks think.  I think Brock is that good.

141:  Carton dec. Gulibon:  11-0 Iowa

* Calling it here.  Carton upsets Gulibon in a wild and crazy match.  Wouldn't be surprised if there are some warnings made to the wrestlers/bench for how physical it's gonna get.  The place will be rockin', and Iowa absolutely needs this match to keep it competitive.

149:  Zain MDec. Sorenson:  11-4 Iowa

* I know it's been close before.  But... Zain is distancing himself from the pack even further.  It's a major this time. 

157:  Nolf MDec. Kemmerer:  11-8 Iowa

* THE match of the night, but... shut down by Nolf fairly quickly.  1st period is close, as they feel each other out.  Maybe Nolf goes up 2-1 or 4-2/4-3 (with Kemmerer with a surprise TD).  Nolf turns it on in the 2nd and 3rd to pull away. 

165:  Joseph dec. Gunther:  11-11 TIE

* I have yet to see evidence of Joseph being on "that next level".  Is he good?  Absolutely.  Is he IMART, MASSA, IJO good?  Unsure yet... but... the sheer fact that he's in the conversation already is a good thing for Joseph.  I think he's held to a decision.  A decisive decision, but a decision. 

174:  Morelli dec. Meyer:  14-11 PSU

* In slight upset, Morelli pulls it out with a decision.  I like Meyer, but... I have some doubts.

184:  Nickal WBF Brooks:  20-11 PSU

* Yup... calling this one too.  Nickal is going "beast mode".  The match is super close, just like with Gravina.  Brooks gets out of position, being overly aggressive with his "strength advantage", and boom, Nickal sticks him. 

197:  Cutch MDec. Wilke:  24-11 PSU

* Cutch is too much, gets in a groove, and takes it to him.

HWT:  Stoll dec. Nevills:  24-14 PSU

*  In another slight upset, Stoll slows down the match and gets a last second takedown to win it.  Crowd erupts, kinda, as they now realized they got beat by PSU.

I think Iowa wins by DEC at 125/141/174. Clark gets bonus, either major or pin IMO. Iowa holds PSU to DEC at 149/157/184. PSU possible bonus at 165. But Iowa fails to get an upset win at 197/285 and loses the dual. PSU leading by 1-2 points heading into hwt.  

Two great coaching staffs competing with loaded line-ups.  No matter how I look at it, this Penn State Team should win.  Iowa conditioning is legendary, but even with the CHA Crowd, I don't see too much momentum gained from Penn State guys gassing at the end.  It may happen somewhere in the line-up, but their big guns are as well conditioned as anyone, anywhere.

I'll go 19-15 PSU. 

Kind of serious question - What is Stoll's offensive go to TD for 2 points ?  That pushing thing was comical but effective. Terrible officiating though.

He's getting around to shooting eventually but guys won't wrestle with him in the center.

I'm just kidding, but people actually think that.

I'll take a swing at this

125 gilman by dec      3-0    iowa

133 clark by mdec      7-0    iowa

141 carton by dec     10-0    iowa

149 zr by dec            10-3    iowa

157 nolf by mdec      10-7    iowa

165 joseph by mdec 10-11  PSU  

174 meyer by dec     13-11  iowa

184 nickal by dec      13-14  PSU

197 matt m by dec    13-17  PSU

UNL nevills by dec    13-20  PSU

125 Gilman DEC 3-0

133 Clark PIN 9-0

141 Carton DEC 12-0

149 Zain 12-4 MDEC (I could also easily see a decision)

157 Nolf 12-7 DEC (changing my mind slightly as I almost want to lean toward a major...but I will stick with decision)

165 Joseph MDEC 12-11

174 Meyer DEC 15-11

184 Nickal DEC 15-14 (could also see a Nickal Pin)

197 Cutch  DEC 15-17

HVY Neville Dec 15-20

20-15 PSU. 

Now, what is the over/under on stall calls against Suriano at Iowa?  If it is 2.5, who takes the over/under? 

Gilman D Suriano

Clark MD whoever

Gulibon D Carton

Retherford D Sorensen

Kemmerer D Nolf (it was my upset of the week pick so I'm stuck with it)

Joseph tech whoever (since the Bull gets no pull)

Meyer D Morelli

Nickal D Brooks

McCutcheon D Wilcke

Neville D Stoll

It'll be ugly and not close. But Gilman will make a statement and not give up any offensive points. Kemerer may shock the world.

In regard to Kemmerer/Nolf, I suppose anything is possible, but I just don't see how Kemmerer can win since he will have to win the take-down battle and I just don't see it.  I am sure Nolf will get sloppy and give up a take-down or two, but I can't see Kemmerer stifling Nolf's offense.  This said, things happen, so we shall see. 

I like it--except I think Suriano dec Gilman---and I think the Cortez is back---Clark DEC over Cortez--- I wont touch 141--I have faith but it is fading

Suriano is tough, but to expect him to beat Gilman at Iowa is asking a lot.  Perhaps Big 10s or NCAAs, but not at Iowa at this point.  Suriano is tough, though, so I doubt he will go in with any doubt and I am sure he won't be intimidated. 

I'm not sure how this match will go. I think a Big 10 or NCAA match will be a lot more interesting. Kemmerer might have issues the first time with the blitzkrieg. If he stays focused and motivated, he should have plenty of opportunity to score points. In this match as well as in the future, unless Nolf changes his style drastically.

Perhaps he doesn't need to change his style drastically, but rather tighten a few things up?  Perhaps not even that as his only losses are to Martinez (the 2 for 2 champ), and I think that Nolf did Martinez a favor by allowing him to slow things down.  I've had this discussion before, and I still believe this. 

Did Sam Stoll get dinged up last weekend?  If he is good to go, I think he could get the win over Nick Nevills since it'll be his first time (and a few others') wrestling at Iowa.  I know these wrestlers are used to competing in front of big crowds, but CHA is a whole other thing I think.  It's the same reason why I think Thomas Gilman will have that much more of an edge over Nick Suriano.

He looked gimpy to me.  If Nevills can circle and not get pushed around, I think he will win rather easily.

Perhaps he doesn't need to change his style drastically, but rather tighten a few things up?  Perhaps not even that as his only losses are to Martinez (the 2 for 2 champ), and I think that Nolf did Martinez a favor by allowing him to slow things down.  I've had this discussion before, and I still believe this.

Nolf has holes in his game. He has to, at the very least, "tighten a few things up". I view the Martinez/Nolf matches similar to the Martinez/Murphy match last year at Big 10s. That is, Martinez made Nolf look much better than what he actually is.

Also keep in mind Nolf was winded in the Big 10 finals against a struggling Martinez.