Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

PSU - IOWA predictions

Nolf has holes in his game. He has to, at the very least, "tighten a few things up". I view the Martinez/Nolf matches similar to the Martinez/Murphy match last year at Big 10s. That is, Martinez made Nolf look much better than what he actually is.

Also keep in mind Nolf was winded in the Big 10 finals against a struggling Martinez.

Everyone should struggle as well as Isaiah Martinez. 

Sometimes when I get down, I think about how good I have it in life compared to a lot of people.  Its important to keep things in perspective; "I may have had a tough day at work, but at least I'm not struggling like dominant two-time champ Isaiah Martinez" I tell myself

The amount of people doubting nolf now is mind boggling.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We have been given so many reasons to doubt him. Two one take down match loses to IMart and didn't get bonus points vs. Joe Smith the first time or Nick Brascetta. Even going back to his redshirt year a close loss to James Green. 

Sometimes when I get down, I think about how good I have it in life compared to a lot of people.  Its important to keep things in perspective; "I may have had a tough day at work, but at least I'm not struggling like dominant two-time champ Isaiah Martinez" I tell myself

Hahahahahahaha

We have been given so many reasons to doubt him. Two one take down match loses to IMart and didn't get bonus points vs. Joe Smith the first time or Nick Brascetta. Even going back to his redshirt year a close loss to James Green. 

But can't you see the obvious. If he was any good he'd have won 2 gold medals by now. 

Okay and at what point has Kemmerer shown he has anything for nolf this season?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

125 Gilman  I by dec    3-0   Iowa
133 Clark   I by maj    7-0   Iowa
141 Carton  I by dec   10-0   Iowa
149 Zain R  P by dec   10-3   Iowa
157 Nolf    P by dec   10-6   Iowa
165 Joseph  P by dec   10-9   Iowa
174 Meyer   I by dec   13-9   Iowa
184 Nickal  P by dec   13-12  Iowa
197 Wilcke  I by dec   16-12  Iowa
285 Nevills P by dec   16-15  Iowa

Losing to OK State will help Iowa tonight

Clark with the only bonus points as Hawkeyes rise to the occasion at home

Iowa leads wires to wire with big hero of the night Wilcke

125:  Gilman decision Suriano:  3-0 Iowa

This will be a great match, but, I'll go with the RS Senior over the true Freshman

133:  Clark tech Carpenter:  8-0 Iowa

Carpenter always gives effort, but, talent will show here.  It could be a pin.

141:  Gulibon decision Carton:  8-3 Iowa

Complete toss-up bout.  It all depends which Jimmy shows up.  I'm predicting good Jimmy shows.

149:  Retherford major Sorenson:  8-7 Iowa

Sorenson won't be looking to win, so, he will make it difficult for Zain.  I still think Zain finds a way to the major.

157:  Nolf major Kemerer:  11-8 PSU

Kemerer is great, but, I don't think he is ready for what Nolf brings.  I'm seeing a few picking the upset.  I think a tech or pin by Nolf is more likely than a Kemerer win.

165:  Joseph major Gunther/Moody/St. John:  15-8 PSU

Joseph has put the injury and weight issues behind him.  

174:  Meyer decision Morelli:  15-11 PSU

Another complete toss-up.  I'll be shocked if this one is decided by more than 2 points.  I gave the first toss-up to PSU.  Giving this one to Iowa.

184:  Nickal decision Brooks:  18-11 PSU

This one could be fun.  Neither is afraid to lock up and throw.  That could lead to a fall, but, I'm calling a 4/5 point decision for Bo.

197:  McCutcheon decision Wilcke:  21-11 PSU

Both are undersized, which really favors McCutcheon.  He will struggle against full-sized 197's.

285:  Nevills decision Stoll:  24-11 PSU

Stoll seemed injured, and Nevills will make full use of his snatch single and riding ability.

I'm looking forward to a great dual tonight.

with 12,000 crazy Iowa fans yelling S T A L L I N G!!  Nevills will need 4 take downs to over come the 4 stalling and 2 escape points awarded (gifted) to Stoll.  4 take downs ain't gonna happen.  19-12 Iowa

125:  Gilman decision Suriano:  3-0 Iowa

This will be a great match, but, I'll go with the RS Senior over the true Freshman

133:  Clark tech Carpenter:  8-0 Iowa

Carpenter always gives effort, but, talent will show here.  It could be a pin.

141:  Gulibon decision Carton:  8-3 Iowa

Complete toss-up bout.  It all depends which Jimmy shows up.  I'm predicting good Jimmy shows.

149:  Retherford major Sorenson:  8-7 Iowa

Sorenson won't be looking to win, so, he will make it difficult for Zain.  I still think Zain finds a way to the major.

157:  Nolf major Kemerer:  11-8 PSU

Kemerer is great, but, I don't think he is ready for what Nolf brings.  I'm seeing a few picking the upset.  I think a tech or pin by Nolf is more likely than a Kemerer win.

165:  Joseph major Gunther/Moody/St. John:  15-8 PSU

Joseph has put the injury and weight issues behind him.  

174:  Meyer decision Morelli:  15-11 PSU

Another complete toss-up.  I'll be shocked if this one is decided by more than 2 points.  I gave the first toss-up to PSU.  Giving this one to Iowa.

184:  Nickal decision Brooks:  18-11 PSU

This one could be fun.  Neither is afraid to lock up and throw.  That could lead to a fall, but, I'm calling a 4/5 point decision for Bo.

197:  McCutcheon decision Wilcke:  21-11 PSU

Both are undersized, which really favors McCutcheon.  He will struggle against full-sized 197's.

285:  Nevills decision Stoll:  24-11 PSU

Stoll seemed injured, and Nevills will make full use of his snatch single and riding ability.

I'm looking forward to a great dual tonight.

I see it pretty much the same way although I think Retherford and/or Nolf may not get bonus. Hope to be wrong there.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Keep in mind that at Big 10s Martinez beat Berger 14-11, and needed a takedown in the last 30 seconds to beat Murphy 5-4. The talk of the 157 lb bracket up to the finals was about how Martinez wasn't looking like himself and the possible reasons why that was the case.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. Far greater wrestlers than Martinez have struggled on the mat at times. See Jordan Burroughs at the Olympics. John Smith at his last Olympic trials. Cael at trials vs Fullhart. And the list goes on.

Keep in mind that at Big 10s Martinez beat Berger 14-11, and needed a takedown in the last 30 seconds to beat Murphy 5-4. The talk of the 157 lb bracket up to the finals was about how Martinez wasn't looking like himself and the possible reasons why that was the case.

He does that sometimes. He still wins when it matters. He has a bunch of close matches. His semis last year was basically lost.

Mad props to vsnej for busting out the monospaced font, nice and clean.  You the real MVP...

Will the Iowa fans collectively yell stalling on Sorenson, when he fails to take a shot for 7 minutes...or, is that only reserved for the other team?

That would never happen.  There are ~1,000+ knowledgeable wrestling fans at CHA (similar, perhaps more than most places) but its the other 10 to 12k that probably watched some HS wrestling but don't know the college rules and last time there heard the guy next to them yelling stalling ... so ... have figured out by now that any who are not wearing black are stalling.

I remember one match, the Iowa wrestler was flat on his stomach making no attempt to build up, top wrestler was trying to turn him, the CHA masses were yelling S T A L L I N G and sure enough ref calls stalling on the top man.  No stalemate - stalling.

Now the new rule changes have made it to where Iowa doesn't really push and shove like they used to and the other teams don't play the edge like perhaps they did years ago, but much of the calls from the CHA masses remain the same, again its not from their best wrestling fans.