Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

PSU - IOWA predictions

PSU looks like a team in preseason.  You can tell they haven't wrestled tough matches yet this year.  Retherford looked punch drunk on his feet halfway through the 3rd.  Great job by him to push through though.  It's impressive they look even this good in hostile territory with so little competition so far this year.

PSU looks like a team in preseason. You can tell they haven't wrestled tough matches yet this year. Retherford looked punch drunk on his feet halfway through the 3rd. Great job by him to push through though. It's impressive they look even this good in hostile territory with so little competition so far this year.

I don't believe their "so little competition" played a role at all in this match.

You don't have to wrestle top competition week after week in order to wrestle at your highest level. Look at the international scene.

Edited by bigmik

Great adjustment by Sorensen on bottom - keeping left elbow tucked in tight to the body to prevent Zain getting either under the arm or slipping in a leg. Completely neutralized RT during regulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nevermind then.  When I made my post I didn't realize you didn't believe it played a role.

It's not necessary to wrestle "top" competition week after week in order to get to your best wrestling. In light of what we see at the international level year after year, I'm not sure why that myth still exists.

Great adjustment by Sorensen on bottom - keeping left elbow tucked in tight to the body to prevent Zain getting either under the arm or slipping in a leg. Completely neutralized RT during regulation.

Agreed. Also, great lateral movement that I've never seen from him before against Zain. Very well-coached. Zain is just too complete and strong.

That's why I said I didn't think Retherford would get bonus.  He might be the best top wrestler in the country at any weight.  In neutral he is merely the best in the weight class.  Top is also where he physically breaks guys (opposed to Nolf who does it in neutral).  Last year when Collica just escaped from bottom it turned into a 2 point match (albeit one Collica had zero chance of winning).  If Sorenson was able to ride a little longer off his TDs he might have won it.  But he almost looked surprised after scoring each time and immediately gave up the escape.

Not what I meant, he looked close to losing against Clagon.

Like I said, I think it's more likely that Zain had a bad night than it is that Sorenson closed the gap that much.

You're just making a wrong-headed comparison.  Zain beat Clagon like 1-0.  Here the match was 9-8 with both guys getting multiple TDs.