Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Mega v McDonough

Big heart by McDonough, but Mega outwrestled him.

I think that Mega was the aggressor for the first two periods. But by the middle of the third period, McDonough seemed to grab some of the momentum.

If you were looking for McDonough domination, it wasn't there. But I wasn't expecting it. Instead I saw McDonough grow stronger towards the end of the match and figure out how to get it done. Again, great effort by both wrestlers.

Ok. I have to weigh on the match.

It was every bit the match I anticipated.

Loved how Megs ran back to the center on every break in action. That alone would create a lot of doubt in most wrestlers. I was confused on his strategy in the ot. Did he think he was going to get the ref to give him a point against McD in a 30 sec. ot period? Also, I thought Megs did the better job in regulation of controlling the ties. Shut down McD on their feet.

McD is an absolute stud. Nothing pretty here but as he said, it's about finding a way to win. I really like this kid and think he is one of the toughest kids I have seen in a long while. Technically and mentally.

Congrats to both wrestlers on showcasing what a wrestling match should be. Good positioning, hard fought action, and the desire to break your opponent. Nothing better when you see it out of both athletes!

Obviously as a Penn State fan, I want nothing more than to see Megaludis beat him. However, I must say that McDonough is the perfect athlete that I would want my kid to follow. His toughness, heart, mental toughness cannot be duplicated.

Big heart by McDonough, but Mega outwrestled him.

I think that Mega was the aggressor for the first two periods. But by the middle of the third period, McDonough seemed to grab some of the momentum.

If you were looking for McDonough domination, it wasn't there. But I wasn't expecting it. Instead I saw McDonough grow stronger towards the end of the match and figure out how to get it done. Again, great effort by both wrestlers.

i am confused by the swing of momentum. mega was close to finishing two single legs, one at the end of regulation and one at the end of ot. normally in that position mcd turns the corner and re-attacks the legs for a cradle. mega had all the momentum going into the rideouts and used bad tactics and lost the match.

Very glad this topic comes back up. Mega had a lot of doubters out there, and honestly, a lot (NOT ALL, but quite a few) of IA guys bashing him and dubbing him "Megastaller" and the like. Lots of stuff about his style being boring and not the way to wrestle. I always wondered if they ever watched him wrestle against anybody except McD - a situation where you had a true freshman going up against a RS Junior on his way to a 2nd NC and 3rd finals appearance.

The kid is a joy to watch - very technical, great motor, very smart (except for in the 1st 2OT period last night, lol) wrestler. Really special wrestler - should win some NCs in his career.

I don't see any of them posting about him now.

By the way, tip of the cap to McD. Whether you think Nico "out wrestled" him or not (not sure how he did that when the score ended up 2-1 McD), McD took the match from him in OT. He did what he had to like a 2xNC will.

Very glad this topic comes back up. Mega had a lot of doubters out there, and honestly, a lot (NOT ALL, but quite a few) of IA guys bashing him and dubbing him "Megastaller" and the like. Lots of stuff about his style being boring and not the way to wrestle. I always wondered if they ever watched him wrestle against anybody except McD - a situation where you had a true freshman going up against a RS Junior on his way to a 2nd NC and 3rd finals appearance.

The kid is a joy to watch - very technical, great motor, very smart (except for in the 1st 2OT period last night, lol) wrestler. Really special wrestler - should win some NCs in his career.

By the way, tip of the cap to McD. Whether you think Nico "out wrestled" him or not (not sure how he did that when the score ended up 2-1 McD), McD took the match from him in OT. He did what he had to like a 2xNC will.

-----

ricky, as an Iowa fan, I've never bashed Megaludis, and personally thought he looked better than McD for most of the match. McD won it on heart in OT. Nico is quicker, but McD often finds a way to scramble out or end up in a stalemate, even after a guy has gotten in deep on his legs. I'll be rooting for McD to win in March, but Megaludis presents the biggest challange, imo, and is razor close.

-----

ricky, as an Iowa fan, I've never bashed Megaludis, and personally thought he looked better than McD for most of the match. McD won it on heart in OT. Nico is quicker, but McD often finds a way to scramble out or end up in a stalemate, even after a guy has gotten in deep on his legs. I'll be rooting for McD to win in March, but Megaludis presents the biggest challange, imo, and is razor close.

Most of us realize, that when two guys like this are so close, eventually the previous "loser" will eventually pull one out. The trick is to win in the last match of the season!! :-)

Palmer Metcalf, Caldwell Metcalf, Gable Owing etc ..

-----

Most of us realize, that when two guys like this are so close, eventually the previous "loser" will eventually pull one out. The trick is to win in the last match of the season!! :-)

Palmer Metcalf, Caldwell Metcalf, Gable Owing etc ..

------

They often do, no doubt. But nothing is written in stone.

McIlravy v Bono

-----

No, I should rephrase that there are a lot of IA fans who do respect Megaludis, but there were a few that were pretty relentless about him - especially after he took McD into OT. And they were pretty vocal about it on these boards.

You are right about McD - so many times you see him give up the single only to come around and get the TD and/or possibly a cradle with his length. You saw Nico combat that in this match immediately going head under. I don't think he was that close to finishing the first two times he was in deep, but the 3rd time at the end of regulation he was. He probably needed about 5 or so more seconds. You can see him reaching with his right arm - if he gets under McDs right arm there, McD is going to be put in danger and is going to give up the ankle if this occurs in the middle of the match or there's going to be NF.

It will be interesting to see the adjustments for the next match. I've got to figure McD is going to be working on some kind of new setup against Mega to get his offense going. He did not seem as if he could get any shots off in this match and I don't think he can count on his counter offense to be as effective now. Of course, Nico has yet to finish a shot against him - it is conjecture that he is getting closer, but it still hasn't happened in 3 matches.

-----

No, I should rephrase that there are a lot of IA fans who do respect Megaludis, but there were a few that were pretty relentless about him - especially after he took McD into OT. And they were pretty vocal about it on these boards.

You are right about McD - so many times you see him give up the single only to come around and get the TD and/or possibly a cradle with his length. You saw Nico combat that in this match immediately going head under. I don't think he was that close to finishing the first two times he was in deep, but the 3rd time at the end of regulation he was. He probably needed about 5 or so more seconds. You can see him reaching with his right arm - if he gets under McDs right arm there, McD is going to be put in danger and is going to give up the ankle if this occurs in the middle of the match or there's going to be NF.

It will be interesting to see the adjustments for the next match. I've got to figure McD is going to be working on some kind of new setup against Mega to get his offense going. He did not seem as if he could get any shots off in this match and I don't think he can count on his counter offense to be as effective now. Of course, Nico has yet to finish a shot against him - it is conjecture that he is getting closer, but it still hasn't happened in 3 matches.

McD is going to be working on some kind of "new" setup? (FWIW, I wish he would work on angles a bit more). He does the SAME thing, all the time. You can set your watch by it. It wins him matches because nobody can take him down, and he counters well for those that try, which they don't do very often. Most are content to hang on the head and keep the legs back as far as they can.

McD has a pretty long stretch of no bonus point wins (6 matches in a row), which is damn rare in his career. Whatever he's doing, it isn't working as far as widening the gap, he's actually come back to the pack, which is bothersome. That said, he's one tough cookie, and he's still undefeated.