TBar1977

After what you saw tonight, who is your favorite at NCAA

With Hall, PSU is a heavy favorite.

I wouldn't say heavy favorite but it does improve their chances. They need to drop Guilbon to 133 or they won't score more than 4-5 points at 133/141 combined. That's a killer.  

Edited by Zebra

They are going to have 4 guys score pretty good but so will Oklahoma State and Ohio State. It's what the other guys score that will matter and having two weight classes at near 0 points will hurt in comparison to those other two schools.   

Penn St didn't look great and still beat Iowa in Carver by a wide margin. I still think it's close between them and Ok St at this point, but think Penn St will get it done. Maybe Zain won't major Sorenson at NCAAs, but he'll still likely bonus his way to finals. Same with Nolf. 

I am picking Okie State. Penn State hadn't wrestled any tough competition until last nite. Not the way to prepare for winning the NCAAs

They lost 3 matches: 2 true freshman against All-Americans and a guy that has more heart than talent got worked by a 2 time finalist.

It's getting towards the end of Jan and they wrestle Ohio State next week.  Penn State will have plenty of tough competition in the next month and a half. They missed all of 1 tournament because of weather. Those 4 or 5 matches aren't going to determine the season and NCAAs,

The B1G and their coaching staff will prepare them for winning the NCAAs.  They've had some experience doing that. If they don't win it, it's not because they missed Midlands or the Scuffle (where, btw - Hall beat the Nos 5 and 6th ranked wrestlers).

The bonus points from Nickel, Nolf, and Retherford are the equivalent of another high placing AA. Adding iin Hall, Suriano, Nevills, and Joseph makes them an overwhelming favorites.

Barring injury, I will be shocked if the team race is still competitive Saturday night.

The bonus points from Nickel, Nolf, and Retherford are the equivalent of another high placing AA. Adding iin Hall, Suriano, Nevills, and Joseph makes them an overwhelming favorites.

Barring injury, I will be shocked if the team race is still competitive Saturday night.

I don't see it that way if you actually crunch the numbers. I don't want to make a ridiculously long post(I have already done realistic projections per weight for the top 4 teams) But, if you do the math, what is the high end total you would have for PSU? Even if you give 70 to retherford, Nolf and Nickal, you still need 40 from the rest to get to 110 and OkState has that potential easily and even Iowa and tOSU can get there.

PSU has more high end potential than OkState, but are far less proven from top to bottom. I do believe adding Hall made them the favorite, but he showed he can be beaten by two different fringe AA candidates this year. Joseph didn't exactly look like a sure fire AA at a very tough weight. Suriano is the real deal, but I don't see March bonus from him. Finally, Nevills looks good, but 285 is usually thin for bonus and I don't see him touching the top 3. If they get 40 from the "Other 7" and 70 from the top 3, that is the team performing near its high end.

PSU may win, but OkState will be in contention Saturday night and don't be surprised if either tOSU or Iowa(if Stoll is truly done that chance is much slimmer)is also there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see it that way if you actually crunch the numbers. I don't want to make a ridiculously long post(I have already done realistic projections per weight for the top 4 teams) But, if you do the math, what is the high end total you would have for PSU? Even if you give 70 to retherford, Nolf and Nickal, you still need 40 from the rest to get to 110 and OkState has that potential easily and even Iowa and tOSU can get there.

PSU has more high end potential than OkState, but are far less proven from top to bottom. I do believe adding Hall made them the favorite, but he showed he can be beaten by two different fringe AA candidates this year. Joseph didn't exactly look like a sure fire AA at a very tough weight. Suriano is the real deal, but I don't see March bonus from him. Finally, Nevills looks good, but 285 is usually thin for bonus and I don't see him touching the top 3. If they get 40 from the "Other 7" and 70 from the top 3, that is the team performing near its high end.

PSU may win, but OkState will be in contention Saturday night and don't be surprised if either tOSU or Iowa(if Stoll is truly done that chance is much slimmer)is also there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sense a departure from your previous tone on this issue where you were all about Oklahoma State winning. Was it Hall's redshirt that changed your POV, or are you still of the mind it will be Okie State?