Angry_Fish

PSU vs tOSU

Just to be controversial on the subject I am amending my above prediction at 174lbs. to HALL by DEC. I am also amending my 141 from toss up to Gulibon by DEC. 

I didnt believe your first prediction

I like Nevills as a top 4 guy, but I still think it's bonus.  Snyder brings something that heavyweights just don't see.  

And I would bet Nevills is totally non-competitive with Varner in the room as a comparison point.  

Lets just say I am factoring into that predication the wear and tear of travel and wrestling in the Yarygin. Certainly wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong, Snyder is an incredible talent.  

Are we 'still' thinking that Snyder "only decisions" Nevills?  How much more does Snyder have to do/show/prove besides his World Championship, Olympic Championship, and NCAA HWT Championship (over the reigning 2x NCAA HWT Champ) to quit the comparison logic of how Nevills is going to be a "surprise" or a "world beater".  All evidence points towards a butt-whoopin' put on by Snyder.  

If one thinks Nevills can hang with Gwiz... right here, right now, then sure... maybe...  but he can't.  Neither can Medberry.  

Suriano md Rodriguez 4-0 PSU

Tomasello tech Law 5-4 tOSU

Guilibon dec Plethcher 7-5 PSU

Zain dec Jordan 10-5 PSU

Nolf pin Ryan 16-5 PSU

Joseph MD Bircher 21-5 PSU

Hall tech tOSU backup 26-5 PSU

Nickal MD Martin 30-5 PSU

Moore dec Cutch 30-8 PSU

Snyder md Nevills 30-12 PSU

I don't see Jordan wrestling this week. If he does I have Hall by dec

Only match I'm not confident is Guilibon. Very much a toss up but I'll give him edge as he appears very confident right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

OK, we now know BoJo is back and have seen a few more meets.  Also know who is healthy (pretty much everyone who is not out-for-the-year), other than BoJo will likely still not be 100% by Friday.

Change any opinions or new ones to be offered?

I like Nevills as a top 4 guy, but I still think it's bonus.  Snyder brings something that heavyweights just don't see.  

And I would bet Nevills is totally non-competitive with Varner in the room as a comparison point.  

Yeah I agree. Even as a Penn State fan, I don't think Nick makes it out of there without giving up at least a major. Snyder is just a different type of animal. 

Are we 'still' thinking that Snyder "only decisions" Nevills?  How much more does Snyder have to do/show/prove besides his World Championship, Olympic Championship, and NCAA HWT Championship (over the reigning 2x NCAA HWT Champ) to quit the comparison logic of how Nevills is going to be a "surprise" or a "world beater".  All evidence points towards a butt-whoopin' put on by Snyder.  

Olympics & Worlds are so in the past but ..

Let's say if Snyder were to travel to some far off remote region, like say Siberia, and win some obscure tournament, like say Yarygin, then he's gonna tech or pin Nevills or whatever he wants to do with him.  But till then it's pretty much a coin flip ...  ;_;

125 - Suriano major Rodriguez (4-0 PSU) * Could be worse than major
133 - Tomasello fall Carpenter (6-4 OSU) * Tech or pin
141 - Gulibon decision Pletcher (7-6 PSU) * Give the toss-up to the experience
149 - Retherford major M. Jordan (11-6 PSU) * Could be regular, but, always danger of fall with Zain
157 - Nolf fall Ryan (17-6 PSU) * Tech or pin
165 - Joseph decision Burcher (20-6 PSU) * Could be major
174 - Hall decision B. Jordan (23-6 PSU) * Bo is slight favorie, but, I'm not even sure he wrestles.  Not 100%
184 - Nickal decision Martin (26-6) * Could be major or pin.  I don't think Nickal ever loses to Martin again
197 - Moore decision McCutcheon (26-9) * Moore slight favorite due to big size advantage
285 - Nevills fall Fox (32-9) or Snyder major Nevills (26-13) * Snyder on another planet, as Nevills is right there with Medberry

Obviously, I see everything close going PSU's direction. Bo Jordan isn't 100% and I think Hall wants to show what he is capable of.

Moore will major Cutch at least. He is on another level. Cutch is getting love because he moved up and is working hard, but he hasn't finished shots well against anyone highly ranked.

Moore's takedowns are amazing. He gets takedowns against everyone, including Pfarr and Cox.

Kind of like the falcons, Moore will score on everyone, but can lose because of his defense. Cutch doesn't have the offense to make that a problem.

Moore will major Cutch at least. He is on another level. Cutch is getting love because he moved up and is working hard, but he hasn't finished shots well against anyone highly ranked.

Moore's takedowns are amazing. He gets takedowns against everyone, including Pfarr and Cox.

Kind of like the falcons, Moore will score on everyone, but can lose because of his defense. Cutch doesn't have the offense to make that a problem.

Honestly thought this would be a close decision but you've convinced me that Moore can Bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're overrating Moore's offense. He is capable of losing matches because of his defense and offense. He's not yet elite in either category.

I think you're overrating Moore's offense. He is capable of losing matches because of his defense and offense. He's not yet elite in either category.

Who would he need to do to have elite offense? He has takedowns in every match, including against #1 and #2 in his weight class.

First guy to take down J'Den since the 2015 NCAAs when Snyder and McIntosh did it. Jden's known for having close matches but his take down defense is elite.

On top of that, I'm not relying on one match. He had first takedown on Pfarr as well. 

Last week the consensus pick was Moore by decision, because Wilke hasn't been majored all season and has wrested a handful of ranked guys. 

To support the all offense claim, he also only has 2 matches where he scored fewer than 5 points - 1 was against J'den (scored 4) and one in a 2-1 win against Army at Cliff Keen (not sure where in the bracket this was, but it is pretty normal during a tournament for this to happen sometimes).

At 20-2, he has 5 pins, 3 techs and 6 majors. Out of the remaining 6 wins (all regular decisions), 3 were at Cliff Keen.

He is an offensive monster. The best way to beat him is to outscore hi. He has solid takedown defense, but may need some work on bottom. 

He is going to be a contender after this season. This guy trains with Snyder, Martin and Bo Jordan every day, plus Tervel and the rest of the staff, that has proven some incredible development recently, especially at the upper weights. 

He is an offensive monster. The best way to beat him is to outscore hi. He has solid takedown defense, but may need some work on bottom. 

Or hold him down like Jden did for around two two and half minutes. I don't think Cutch has the riding ability.

Or hold him down like Jden did for around two two and half minutes. I don't think Cutch has the riding ability.

Agreed. His bottom game has looked acceptable, but not elite.

I imagine the game plan will be to ride him for as long as possible, which reduces the time on the feet and could tire him out.

First guy to take down J'Den since the 2015 NCAAs when Snyder and McIntosh did it. Jden's known for having close matches but his take down defense is elite.

I don't believe that Cox is wrestling at his best this season for some reason. Cox didn't give up any takedowns at the Olympics did he? Moore is pretty good, but I don't see him as world-class. I think a lot of guys could have taken down Cox that day that normally wouldn't be able to, but I could be wrong.

Suriano Major/Tech - 5-0 PSU

Nato Tech/Pin - 5-6 tOSU

Swing bout...hard to pick - if this was the second dual of the weekend I'd be way more confident in Pletcher

Pletcher dec - 5-9 tOSU

Zain Major - 9-9

Nolf tech/pin - 15-9 PSU

Joseph Major - 19-9 PSU

Another tough one. With Bo's injury this is an exceptionally hard pick.

Bo dec - 19-12 PSU

Bo Major/Pin - 23-12 PSU

Moore major - 23-16 PSU

Snyder Major - 23-20

In matches I have it 5-5. Bonus is likely the difference here, although I do have tOSU winning the two closest ones (141, 174). Bo could also get the pin, Snyder could get the major, Vincenzo could be anywhere from a regular dec to a tech, Nolf could decide to tech, Zain could be anywhere from a decision to a pin, Suriano could pin, etc.

PSU has to be the favorite here. They are heavy favorites in in 4 matches (not including 184), while tOSU is a heavy favorite in 2 weight classes (not including 197).

tOSU can win, but they need to win at least 5 matches and out bonus tOSU. Technically they can just win the swing matches and don't need any major upsets.

Edited by Housebuye