Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

PSU vs Ok St Dual

I think people are drawing the wrong conclusion from that Sorensen/Retherford match. They are thinking Sorensen has finally caught up to Retherford and has a real chance.

I think Retherford had a bad night (for him) and Sorensen had the match of his life. Wouldn't expect to see another match like that between those two.

They haven't had an individual team dominate score wise like some great single teams of the past, but the 6 (going on 7) year stretch is amazing, and maybe the best ever.  They are dealing with 2 recent multi champion dynasties still near their peak, and they're crushing both of them.  

Danny had the Hawkeyes winning it all 9 years in a row.

Cael & Co are good but not there yet.

Penn state is a clear favorite in 4 weights:

125 (+1), 149, 157 (+1), 184

OSU is a clear favorite in 2 weights:

133 (+3), 141

There are 4 relative toss up weights:

165, 174, 197, 285

It's not inconceivable that penn state loses this dual. But everything would have to break for OSU, if I'm being honest I would favor PSU at 165, 174 and 285. There are a bunch of legitimate pinners in this dual for both teams though. Will look forward to watching this.

125---PSU  MD  4-0

133--OSU  TECH 5-4

141--OSU  DEC   8-4 (JG LOOKING COULD BUT I CANT CALL THE WIN FOR HIM HERE)

149--PSU MD      8-8 (AT LEAST A MD)

157  PSU   TECH 13-8(COULD BE A FALL)

165  PSU  DEC     16-8

174  PSU  DEC      19-8

184  PSU  DEC    22-8  (MAYBE MD OR FALL)

197  OSU DEC     22-11

HWT  PSU  MD   26-11

THIS IS HOW i SEE IT

Predicting that #7 will pin #4 is absurd, ridiculous, outlandish, idiotic, unreasonable, incongruous, silly and illogical (says Mr. Spock) 

Seriously though, here is the top 10 Div I Fall leaders as of Feb 1. Note 4 PSU wrestlers and no Rogers so it does appear that his reputation as a prolific pinner has been overstated. 

1 Gabe Dean Cornell 184 14 34:42

2 Chad Walsh Rider 165 12 53:23

3 Zain Retherford Penn St. 149 11 35:04

4 Bo Nickal Penn St. 184 11 37:08

5 Adam Mackie Lock Haven 174 10 14:34

6 Ross Larson Oklahoma 285 10 23:58

7 Evan Fidelibus Rider 141 9 25:00

8 Mark Hall Penn St. 174 9 29:25

9 Jason Nolf Penn St. 157 9 29:30

10 Patrick Quinlan Frank. & Marsh. 141 9 38:44

...pinning an "Eastern" thing ?

when was the last time Micah Jordan was tech fall???? but Zain did..

and that was the first time MJ had wrestled Zain.  By that logic we could go with:  last time ZR wrestled a top 2 guy it went TB-2, last time AC wrestled a top 2 guy it went TB-2 but he gave up fewer point so he must have better defense thus AC wins.  Stupid argument, just like the "MD or better" could happen but nothing from past to support it.

and that was the first time MJ had wrestled Zain.  By that logic we could go with:  last time ZR wrestled a top 2 guy it went TB-2, last time AC wrestled a top 2 guy it went TB-2 but he gave up fewer point so he must have better defense thus AC wins.  Stupid argument, just like the "MD or better" could happen but nothing from past to support it.

it is prediction thread--that is how I see the match ...no need to get your panties in a bunch..

it is prediction thread--that is how I see the match ...no need to get your panties in a bunch..

here's a prediction:  we know 133 & 141 are locks for OSU, already settled the 149 issue, CR always pins his man 2 weeks after pinning himself (PSU only opponent that wkend), KC always wins the rematch after a loss, and AS has never been beat by a guy who lost to Brooks Black.  Those 6 wins with the pin really oughta do it.  And if you believe that I've got some beach front property for sale in central PA.  ;)

Well, for at least 40 years I wondered why someone didn't realize that with a good coach that could unify the talent, one of the schools in Pennsylvania would murder all of us.  Now that Cael has done it, I don't know if we will ever get that genie back in the bottle.  If anyone is going to beat them, it may take all of us to take it as a challenge.  They have a team this year that will go through St Louis like a dose of Epsom salts.  Maybe only 7 AA's, but 3 with bonus points all the way to the finals is like two more low AA's.  Y'all need to stop hating on my Cowboys and join us, the Hawks, the Buckeyes, and everyone else to just slow the Nittany Lions down enough where someone else can have a shot.

Well, for at least 40 years I wondered why someone didn't realize that with a good coach that could unify the talent, one of the schools in Pennsylvania would murder all of us.  Now that Cael has done it, I don't know if we will ever get that genie back in the bottle.  If anyone is going to beat them, it may take all of us to take it as a challenge.  They have a team this year that will go through St Louis like a dose of Epsom salts.  Maybe only 7 AA's, but 3 with bonus points all the way to the finals is like two more low AA's.  Y'all need to stop hating on my Cowboys and join us, the Hawks, the Buckeyes, and everyone else to just slow the Nittany Lions down enough where someone else can have a shot.

Good idea. OSU likely has the best shot to beat them this year, so everyone needs to allow the OSU wrestlers to bonus them, and give your best shot against PSU wrestlers. Next year tOSU likely has the best shot so we need to give the same help to tOSU. Iowa likely has the best shot in 2019, so hopefully the assistance will be reciprocated. Isn't it great when we all work together to beat PSU?

Hey it works for me!  Trust me, if this could have been done in any way shape or form, we would have done it during Iowa's 9 consecutive streak.  When Cael was at Iowa State his guys were very hard to score on, but they weren't the wrecking machines that his good wrestlers have become at PSU.  The Nittany Lions wrestle like it's supposed to be done.  Can you even imagine the carnage they would have administered back in the days of 8 minute matches?  He's found his stride and it's going to be a long time before his dynasty even gets passed to another leader.  Fun times to follow the sport. 

Good idea. OSU likely has the best shot to beat them this year, so everyone needs to allow the OSU wrestlers to bonus them, and give your best shot against PSU wrestlers. Next year tOSU likely has the best shot so we need to give the same help to tOSU. Iowa likely has the best shot in 2019, so hopefully the assistance will be reciprocated. Isn't it great when we all work together to beat PSU?

Not a bad idea except for the SquawkEyes. With Brands coaching they won't win another title.

125:  Suriano MD Piccinnini 4-0

133:  Brock TF Carpenter 4-5

141:  Heil DEC Gulibon 4-8

149:  Retherford MD Collica  8-8

157:  Nolf MDEC Smith  12-8

165:  Joseph DEC Rogers 15-8

174:  Hall DEC Crutchmer 18-8

184:  Nickal MD Boyd 22-8

197:  Weigel Dec Mccutheon 22-11 (I'll take Mccutheon over White if White starts)

HW:  Nevills DEC Schaefer 25-11

I don't see this being remotely close.  I think Okie State has a better chance of the upset in a tournament format, this seems like a horrible matchup for them

I don't think this dual is close at all.  Hope I'm wrong though.

125- Suriano Maj 4-0PSU

133- Brock TF 5-4 OSU

141- Heil dec 8-4 OSU

149- Zain dec. 8-7 OSU

157- Nolf maj. 11-8 PSU

165- Joseph dec. 14-8 PSU

174- Hall dec. 17-8 PSU

184- Nickal dec. 20- 8 PSU

197- McCutcheon dec. 23-8 PSU

285 Nevillis dec. 26-8 PSU

149:  Retherford Dec Collica  7-8

157:  Nolf TF Smith  12-8

165:  Rodgers DEC Joseph 12-11

174:  Hall DEC Crutchmer 15-11

184:  Nickal DEC Boyd 18-11

197:  Weigel Dec Mccutheon 18-14

HW:  Nevills DEC Schaefer 21-14

PSU wins just about any way you slice it.  It will get very ugly if none of the 3 tossups go OSU's way (165, 197, 285).

149:  Retherford Dec Collica  7-8

157:  Nolf TF Smith  12-8

165:  Rodgers DEC Joseph 12-11

174:  Hall DEC Crutchmer 15-11

184:  Nickal DEC Boyd 18-11

197:  Weigel Dec Mccutheon 18-14

HW:  Nevills DEC Schaefer 21-14

PSU wins just about any way you slice it.  It will get very ugly if none of the 3 tossups go OSU's way (165, 197, 285).

There seem to be a thousand scenarios where PSU wins it.  Given the way the two teams looked the last few meets everything would have to go right for OSU and PSU would need to be a bit off their game.

But, lets start with your scenario as the base and say OSU wrestles Rogers at 165 (Rogers is a pinner and Rodgers hasn't pinned anyone the last two years)  ;)

so now we have 21-17 ... flip one match at 149, 174, or 285 and you've got 18-20  :)