Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Midlands NOT on Iowa's schedule

It would be great if Iowa is there. This will be the 50th Midlands tourney.

Lots of very cool things are planned. I highly recommend attendance for this gala affair.

Here is your 'news flash' for the 50th:

All 10 of the original champs are alive ! Wow, and what a tough group of wrestlers they were......indeed.

How about if we pitch in to help (Ken Kraft-& tourney staff) make it all a huge success. An all-session pass is a great Christmas gift for any wrestling fan.

Lots of very cool things are planned. I highly recommend attendance for this gala affair.

All 10 of the original champs are alive ! Wow, and what a tough group of wrestlers they were......indeed.

How about if we pitch in to help (Ken Kraft-& tourney staff) make it all a huge success. An all-session pass is a great Christmas gift for any wrestling fan.

Just couldn't help yourself, huh? :roll:

The speculative rationale that Andy Hamilton offered via twitter was that Midlands this year is Saturday/Sunday (12/29 and 12/30), and the Ohio State dual would have been a quick turnaround being that first Friday (1/4).

I don't THINK "Grapple in the Garden" was that much of a factor in the decision.

It is disappointing to see Midlands decline in terms of competition. It is probably still the #2 tournament of the year behind the NCAAs. But the rise of the Scuffle plus teams backing out of having a big midseason test has made it less than it used to be.

There is an Open Tournament they are probably interested in that could pay dividends...Not sure if the "Black and Gold" ever entered it!!!

P.S. You have to wrestle the Best to be the "Best" ;)

Well , okay. However, don't most of us have those special times in our sport ? And those special 'wrestling people' who made a big impact on us and our successes ? And , perhaps some failures , along the line.

For me.....one of those people is Coach Ken Kraft (still 'coach' in my minds eye). As well as those people in the sport of wrestling that made this Christmastime tourney what it is today. Great wrestling and loads of fun for you hard core fans ......and the casual fan.

So, perhaps you can forgive when I bally-hoo the Midlands and its 50 years of memories ? With special thanks to those other 9 wrestlers. I look forward to our 'get together'.

Five Words ......... just could not resist a reply. ;)

OOOPS- PUT MY REPLY BEFORE THE QUOTE BELOW.

Just couldn't help yourself, huh? :roll:

I have been to about 6-7 Midlands from 1980-2005 so it has been a few years I am trying to get a group of us to meet there always has been some good wrestling. Some of the matches that stick out in my mind that I was lucky enough to see were Schultz/Schalles, Schultz/Banach, Fried/Brands. I wish more post grads would step on the mat one last time against those college kids. Denny I enjoy hearing your stories on the past greats by the way.

Yo Always,

Thank you for the kind words.

About this topic.........I sure hope that I have not done a hijack job on this one ? Although title does mention Iowa and Midlands.

Denny I don't think you have done any hijacking at all. I am not sure why Iowa is not going to Midlands kind of a bummer for Iowa fans but still will be some great wrestling.

Two points of divergence between Iowa's schedule this year and Oklahoma State's last year, one not-so-obvious, and one obvious, respectively:

1. Oklahoma State didn't wrestle on back-to-back days at all this past year prior to NCAA's, and the one opportunity a couple of their wrestlers would have had was quashed by the women's basketball coach being killed in a plane crash (one of the postponed duals was the day before the All-Star Classic, which Oliver and Parks both participated in). On the other hand, Iowa will have back-to-back regular season weigh-ins (and the second one is at the more difficult scratch-weight, rather than the scratch+1 present in multi-day tournaments), as the Buffalo dual is the day after the Grapple at the Garden.

2. Iowa wrestles in a conference with a multi-day tournament, whereas Oklahoma State did not (and does not).

I suspect #1 is going to be more important, but unfortunately, there isn't a way to control for one without the other.

It is disappointing to see Midlands decline in terms of competition. It is probably still the #2 tournament of the year behind the NCAAs. But the rise of the Scuffle plus teams backing out of having a big midseason test has made it less than it used to be.

I don't know how you would consider Midlands the #2 tourny only behind NCAA's. #2 is clearly the Scuffle. Have you had a chance to look at the list of participating teams? Pretty outrageous for a midseason tournament. #3 would either be Midlands or Reno, I haven't looked at the teams in those yet, but it would seem that Midlands could actually be the #4 tournament of the year. Pretty sad since it used to be the toughest when all the grads would come back and compete.

I don't know how you would consider Midlands the #2 tourny only behind NCAA's. #2 is clearly the Scuffle. Have you had a chance to look at the list of participating teams? Pretty outrageous for a midseason tournament. #3 would either be Midlands or Reno, I haven't looked at the teams in those yet, but it would seem that Midlands could actually be the #4 tournament of the year. Pretty sad since it used to be the toughest when all the grads would come back and compete.

Reno isn't even the #1 tournament held in the state of Nevada. I seriously hope you're thinking of Cliff Keen Las Vegas.

Midlands is almost certainly ahead of Reno, even without Iowa.

It took a while for the Midlands to earn the reputation of where the elite meet to compete and unfortunately over the past decade or so its lost that luster. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

It took a while for the Midlands to earn the reputation of where the elite meet to compete and unfortunately over the past decade or so its lost that luster. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

Why exactly aren't we seeing post graduates like we used to? Joe Williams competed in what, six Midlands tournaments after graduating?? It seems year in and year out the number of post graduates competing in the tournament gets less and less. Hell, I don't think there was even a handful last season. I miss that and would like to see it again.

Why exactly aren't we seeing post graduates like we used to? Joe Williams competed in what, six Midlands tournaments after graduating?? It seems year in and year out the number of post graduates competing in the tournament gets less and less. Hell, I don't think there was even a handful last season. I miss that and would like to see it again.

The answer to that is not difficult. Two factors come to mind:

First, international freestyle wrestling has diverged a lot from folkstyle in recent years. Guys who are seriously training for the former are not about to take chances on injury wrestling in folkstyle tournaments.

Second, with more financial support and the development of OTC and the regional training centers, freestyle wrestlers get a lot more competition opportunity here and internationally. There is no need to go to the Midlands for competition.

Reno, the Big 10 tourney, all of the conference tourneys for that matter.

There are others. However, my point is that international wrestling has not (and likely will not) have much "divergence" from these always fan favorite folkstyle tournaments.

The Midlands tournament will be just fine 'in and of itself.' Be kind my fellow fans. We are all in it together. Folk, GR, FS.........it's all our sport.......wrestling.