Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Gabe Dean

I think his hodge bid is securely above nolf martinez or retherford. Its not head and shoulders above, but I think he is officially superior in every criteria at this point. 

Unfortunately I am one of those who think Snyder is the only choice and was last year too...

Being a 3Xer and a senior in a tough weight helps, but as of now, Nolf is doing better in point differential (adjusted) against ranked wrestlers. 

Nolf- 14.752/ 7 minutes  (Berger, Kemerer, Parsons, Short, Van Brill)

Dean- 12.740/ 7 minutes (Boyd, Gamble, Geer, Zavatsky, Ellingwood, Gravina)

Deans schedule is harder and "point differential against ranked wrestlers" isn't a criteria. Strength of schedule, and dominance are. 

He should be the Hodge leader.  Just pointing it out.   Though not a criteria, I think it's a decent metric for dominance.

Edited by LemonPie

I actually think of Bo Nickal upsets Gabe Dean, the way he is going it will end up being his Hodge. This assumes he remains unbeaten. 

Can't we all agree that whoever wins the last match Saturday night, March 18, will be the Hodge winner?

Remember the voters tend to give a lot of weight to the overall career, or at least it would seem that way. Last year Dieringer won it when you could definitly say Retherford was more dominant in terms of major/tech/pin. Assuming Dean wins out, he will have the exact same career NCAA finishes as 'Ringer, 3/1/1/1, not to mention being the only guy to beat Ruth in three years and winning 3 titles in an incredibly deep weight class.

He should be the Hodge leader.  Just pointing it out.   Though not a criteria, I think it's a decent metric for dominance.

Here's how to get to these numbers

PD/7 minutes= [(Points For adjusted/# of match seconds)*420] - [(Points against adjusted/#match seconds)*420]

So in the case of a fall, record the points at time of fall (add back points) along with number of seconds in match

Dean vs. Gamble- 15-4 at 276 seconds

Dean vs. Ellingwood- 8-1 at 175 seconds

Dean vs. Zavatsky 19-4 at 300 seconds

Dean vs. Gravina 16-3 at 420 seconds

Dean vs. Boyd 7-2 at 420 seconds

Dean vs. Geer 16-6 at 420 seconds

# match seconds = 2,011

PF (adjusted) = 81

PA (adjusted) = 20

PF/7 minutes = (81/2,011)*420= 16.917

PA/7 minutes = (20/2,011)*420= 4.177

PD/7 minutes = 12.74

Nolf vs. Berger 15-7 at 420 seconds

Nolf vs. Kemerer 9-4 at 420 seconds

Nolf vs. Parsons 10-4 at 139 seconds

Nolf vs. Short 18-4 at 224 seconds

Nolf vs. Van Brill 22-4 at 249 seconds

#match seconds = 1452

PF (adjusted) = 74

PA (adjusted) = 23

PF/7 minutes = (74/1,452)*420 = 21.405

PA/7 minutes = (23/1452)*420 = 6.653

PD/7 minutes = 14.752

Remember the voters tend to give a lot of weight to the overall career, or at least it would seem that way. Last year Dieringer won it when you could definitly say Retherford was more dominant in terms of major/tech/pin. Assuming Dean wins out, he will have the exact same career NCAA finishes as 'Ringer, 3/1/1/1, not to mention being the only guy to beat Ruth in three years and winning 3 titles in an incredibly deep weight class.

Spot on. Last year I was listening to Rowlands and Askren talk about the upcoming Hodge vote and Askren had a vote as a former winner. Most of what he talked about was career based and he went with Ringer for that reason. 

Thought a few guys would appreciate that vid. Reasonable facsimile of "Destroyer of Worlds" nickname.

Here's what I know: if you're wrestling Dean & he steps into a bow-and-arrow, your world WILL BE destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's how to get to these numbers

PD/7 minutes= [(Points For adjusted/# of match seconds)*420] - [(Points against adjusted/#match seconds)*420]

So in the case of a fall, record the points at time of fall (add back points) along with number of seconds in match

Dean vs. Gamble- 15-4 at 276 seconds

Dean vs. Ellingwood- 8-1 at 175 seconds

Dean vs. Zavatsky 19-4 at 300 seconds

Dean vs. Gravina 16-3 at 420 seconds

Dean vs. Boyd 7-2 at 420 seconds

Dean vs. Geer 16-6 at 420 seconds

# match seconds = 2,011

PF (adjusted) = 81

PA (adjusted) = 20

PF/7 minutes = (81/2,011)*420= 16.917

PA/7 minutes = (20/2,011)*420= 4.177

PD/7 minutes = 12.74

Nolf vs. Berger 15-7 at 420 seconds

Nolf vs. Kemerer 9-4 at 420 seconds

Nolf vs. Parsons 10-4 at 139 seconds

Nolf vs. Short 18-4 at 224 seconds

Nolf vs. Van Brill 22-4 at 249 seconds

#match seconds = 1452

PF (adjusted) = 74

PA (adjusted) = 23

PF/7 minutes = (74/1,452)*420 = 21.405

PA/7 minutes = (23/1452)*420 = 6.653

PD/7 minutes = 14.752

I think its more accurate to just figure out the average amount of team points per match. 

I think his hodge bid is securely above nolf martinez or retherford. Its not head and shoulders above, but I think he is officially superior in every criteria at this point.

Unfortunately I am one of those who think Snyder is the only choice and was last year too...

If Bo wins, which seems possible, I wonder if Bo gets it.

Nolf, Rutherford, Snyder and iMar all have to be considered as well.

If Rutherford doesn't get it this year and iMar wins his 4th title next year, Rutherford may never get it.

If Bo wins, which seems possible, I wonder if Bo gets it.

Nolf, Rutherford, Snyder and iMar all have to be considered as well.

If Rutherford doesn't get it this year and iMar wins his 4th title next year, Rutherford may never get it.

Wouldn't Retherford match with Sorensen set him back in Hodge consideration?

It could, but if he comes back and obliterates him at big tens and ncaas, you could make a case for zain maybe being sick and still gutting out the win. Edited by tec87

1 match that he ended up winning? I don't think so. He has literally bonused the rest of his matches. If he continues to look dominant, he is certainly in the hunt.

Little to no chance unless Imart and Retheford also lose. Does not have the career to back up his season.

I know I know. It seems to me like going undefeated in the most stacked division and beating a dominant two time champ who would've gotten the Hosge with a win, should factor in.

I wonder if they will just give it to Snyder, just to acknowledge how crazy good he is.

The safe picks are Dean, Rutherford, and iMar

I know I know. It seems to me like going undefeated in the most stacked division and beating a dominant two time champ who would've gotten the Hosge with a win, should factor in.

I wonder if they will just give it to Snyder, just to acknowledge how crazy good he is.

The safe picks are Dean, Rutherford, and iMar

He will be MOW at NCAAs if he beats Dean, but the hodge will go to Retherford or Imart (assuming they both also go undefeated).

I would have no issue with Snyder getting it either, but I'd lean more toward giving it to him next year as a career award given his truncated seasons.