Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Gabe Dean

He will be MOW at NCAAs if he beats Dean, but the hodge will go to Retherford or Imart (assuming they both also go undefeated).

I would have no issue with Snyder getting it either, but I'd lean more toward giving it to him next year as a career award given his truncated seasons.

next year might have iMar though. Theoretically he may have only 1 loss and be a 4 timer

Why isnt Tomasello in the conversation as well?  If he rolls Clarke, I think you have to have him in conversation. 

You don't have to at all. Dean's win over ruth, retherfords win over steiber, and even Nolfs pin of Imar all separate them from Tomasello. Additionally all are more dominant than Tomasello.

for the record i repeat that Snyder is the only choice. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

You don't have to at all. Dean's win over ruth, retherfords win over steiber, and even Nolfs pin of Imar all separate them from Tomasello. Additionally all are more dominant than Tomasello.

Disagree, Tomasello beat 2xer Delgado.  Not to mention weight class he is in (historically).  I think he is in the conversation, especially if he beats Clark convincingly. 

Agree about Snyder, btw.  Match count will down him, but he truly is...wait for it ... DESTROYER OF THE WORLDS (and Olympics)!!!!

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Agreed on everything but your last sentence. Why is Snyder the only choice for a folkstyle award? I have no doubt he is the best overall wrestler in college today but per the actual criteria for the award, he isn't really in the running.

Disagree, Tomasello beat 2xer Delgado. Not to mention weight class he is in (historically). I think he is in the conversation, especially if he beats Clark convincingly.

Agree about Snyder, btw. Match count will down him, but he truly is...wait for it ... DESTROYER OF THE WORLDS (and Olympics)!!!!

I'm a NaTo fan, but bou have to admit Stallgado was a shadow of himself due to injury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dean will win the Hodge overwhelmingly, unless he loses a match somewhere, which I consider unlikely. It's not a career award, true, but they always count the career as well. I read on Unicorn's twitter that he didn't think Dieringer deserved the Hodge last year. He didn't say who should've (or if he did I didn't see it), but guessing he liked Retherford.

Regarding Tomasello, he's a great wrestler, but he doesn't have the stats Dean, Nickal, Nolf, etc have. Also regarding Tomasello beating DelGado...yeah, he beat Delgado. A GIMPY Delgado not even close to the top of his game. I don't think Delgado even placed at NCAAs his senior year.

Wow, I never really thought of this, but Imar, Retherford and Snyder will all be seniors next year. Lets say for the sake of argument Dean wins the Hodge this year (very possible) that means next year two of those three will never win a Hodge trophy in their amazing careers. One would have to figure if Imar runs the table and is a 4 timer in two different weights with 1 career loss and with 165 being very deep and talented this year and next, he would have to win it.

That scenario would mean Zain freakin Retherford, the guy who pins and bonuses at a ridiculous rate, would never win a Hodge. Nor would Kyle Snyder, who has a world and Olympic gold medal while still in college and will possibly have another title before next March. Granted international competition isnt supposed to be taken in to account, and to be fair Snyder doesnt wrestle as many college matches as these other guys, but still.

If I'm not mistaken they gave a co-Hodge winner one year didnt they? I wonder if that comes into play at some point?

If I'm not mistaken they gave a co-Hodge winner one year didnt they? I wonder if that comes into play at some point?

Yes, Sanderson and Ackerman were both Hodge recipients in 2001.  However, the circumstances were a lot different from what's being discussed here.  For example, Ackerman had four (4) losses that season.  His award was more about his inspiring story as a double amputee than his wrestling prowess. I doubt that we'll see co-Hodge winners again, but I suppose its possible.

2001 was a special circumstance when they last gave a Co-Hodge and it just might make sense again for next year.  Snyder deserves special recognitin for what he will have accomplished in wrestling, but Rehterford/Imar will be more deserving by the rules of the Hodge and sharing an award with Snyder will not diminish their accomplishments in the least.

Edited by Jim L

Wouldn't you have a hard time giving a season long folkstyle trophy to someone who only, purposely, participates on a part-time basis?

Wouldn't you have a hard time giving a season long folkstyle trophy to someone who only, purposely, participates on a part-time basis?

Given how much better he is than everyone else, I agree with hammer and have no problem with it.  I understand if others do, though.  

he participates on a part time basis because the other portion of time he is subjecting himself to an insane schedule so he can compete against the best wrestlers in the world. he isn't off playing the violin. 

he participates on a part time basis because the other portion of time he is subjecting himself to an insane schedule so he can compete against the best wrestlers in the world. he isn't off playing the violin.

Agreed. But it is a different sport. And I'm not one of those guys who thinks freestyle and folkstyle are so far apart that you absolutely cannot look at freestyle results and gain insights into a folkstyle matchup. But case in point: Mark Hall. It's hard to give Snyder more credit for doing great things in freestyle when it's a folkstyle award and there are guys like Dean, Nolf, and Retherford who are wrestling full seasons and destroying competition.

Also, I absolutely hate to say this, but Snyder's freestyle record for this folkstyle season includes a loss and does not include any world titles.

How can you be the most outstanding college wrestler of the year if you only have a third of the matches of the other candidates?  I just don't get it.  I know there are criteria, and certain criteria obviously would be weighed heavily in favor of Snyder, but what about record?  Isn't it  a college wrestling award and not a wrestling award?  Is it who is the best or who performed the best?  Or maybe a bit of both which is what leads to the discussion to begin with?   

who wins, senior year Dean vs senior year Ruth? Dean vs Herbert? Greg Jones? I'll skip way further back and lots of good grapplers....Mark Schultz? Ed Banach?

Given the names thrown out I'll take Schultz for the Title. When Mark was on no one could beat him.