headshuck

Bo pinned himself

All kidding aside, I almost laughed out loud when I read the thread that lambasted the Hawkeye report posters for claiming Bo had pinned himself. This Flo video angle reminds me you can never be too sure of anything in wrestling from just one view. Brooks was flat as a pancake, but Bo wasn't too many milliseconds behind him. He might've gotten away from a double-pin because the ref was so focused on Brooks's shoulder blades. Bo should take a page out of Nick Simmons' book and hip away from the spladle a bit to be able to lean back all the way without pinning himself. The East Lansing Strangler was the master of this move.

That was a sweet single by Brooks, by the way. This angle shows how perfectly he set it up and executed it. The finish... well, not so much. I'm sure Terry Brands is going to have a few thousand words of advice on that one since his go-to finish from that position is the perfect way to avoid getting spladeled or crotch-lifted.

What call does a ref make if both wrestlers are simultaneously pinned?  Is there a rule in place for this?

I'm not sure about the rule book, but I think what it matters in those kind of situations is who is controlling the action and the other wrestler. Bo wanted to put Brooks in that situation and pin him, after the initial single the latter was not controlling the action anymore, so Bo was clearly controlling him when he hit that spladle and even if he was flat on the mat, he put Brooks in that place and held him there until the fall (control of the action and the wrestler), not the other way around.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

I'm not sure about the rule book, but I think what it matters in those kind of situations is who is controlling the action and the other wrestler. Bo wanted to put Brooks in that situation and pin him, after the initial single the latter was not controlling the action anymore, so Bo was clearly controlling him when he hit that spladle and even if he was flat on the mat, he put Brooks in that place and held him there until the fall (control of the action and the wrestler), not the other way around.

As far as I know, control is not a criterium for a fall. I guess it's just a judgement call for the official to decide which wrestler is on his back first, and there can be no ties. Kind of like how there are no ties in reaching 1st base in baseball on a ground ball.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Spot on. Getting locked up in a Spladle is a very effective strategy for drawing the refs attention to the fact the other wrestler has put you on your own back. I'm pretty sure Brands has told Brooks to try and avoid this the next time. 

Edited by TBar1977

What call does a ref make if both wrestlers are simultaneously pinned?  Is there a rule in place for this?

2.13.7 Simultaneous Falls. When any part of both shoulders (or part of both scapulae) of both wrestlers are simultaneously held in contact with the mat for one second, the referee shall award the fall to only one wrestler.  In such situations, the referee should pretend that he doesn't notice that the winning wrestler was also pinned.  If the losing wrestler's coach challenges the call, remind him that falls are not reviewable by loudly proclaiming; "Getthe****outtahere Dickweed, you can't challenge a pinfall."