headshuck

Bo pinned himself

There can only be sim​simultaneous pins if you believe the universe is digital, not analog. That is the shoulders touch in the same corpuscle of time. I would imagine the smallest unit of time to be no more than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds. So of course true simultaneous pins must be pretty darn rare, even if time is digital.

However, since video review is not allowed, it comes down to human sight refreshing, which I guess to be about 1/60th of a second.

I can't believe people want Bo called for the pin there. Seriously? Are you trying to discourage interesting moves?

The totally ridiculous part is that Brooks is bundled up tighter than all the fed ex packages in Memphis. It would hardly be good to reward his position of 0 percent control a fall over the position of the offensive wrestler with 100 percent control. It could begin to make sense if the offensive wrestler starts to lose full control and the defensive wrestler is then in a superior position not necessarily needing control, but not being fully controlled either.

There can only be sim​simultaneous pins if you believe the universe is digital, not analog. That is the shoulders touch in the same corpuscle of time. I would imagine the smallest unit of time to be no more than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds. So of course true simultaneous pins must be pretty darn rare, even if time is digital.

However, since video review is not allowed, it comes down to human sight refreshing, which I guess to be about 1/60th of a second.

You can't just account for human sight refreshing, but also the error that will accompany that measurement.  If the difference of when the simultaneous pin starts is within that error (to a reasonable confidence interval), you can't really distinguish who was pinned first.  

The totally ridiculous part is that Brooks is bundled up tighter than all the fed ex packages in Memphis. It would hardly be good to reward his position of 0 percent control a fall over the position of the offensive wrestler with 100 percent control. It could begin to make sense if the offensive wrestler starts to lose full control and the defensive wrestler is then in a superior position not necessarily needing control, but not being fully controlled either.

From where I sat he had Bo's leg and arms locked right where he wanted them.

The defensive pin is the most ignorant rule in wrestling and does absolutely NOTHING for the sport.  It only discredits it.  

Those who pound their chest and say "He should just stay off his back" are the people killing excitement and creativity in the sport.

Being close to pinning yourself can be easily rectified by treating it the same way we do stalling.  It is simple-->verbally warn someone they are close to pinning themselves.  

If they don't move, slap the mat.

But calling a defensive pin when someone is actually trying PIN the other wrestler just makes our sport more conservative and not exciting.

I find the people who vehemently defend the defensive pin because "they should stay off their back" are the same people who would like more riding time--another great way to create a BORE-FEST.

As Ben-A-The Man says--> Get rid of riding time. 

Correct me if I am wrong but at no time can you ever look at a still photo and day that a pin has occurred. The "pin" must be held at least a second in college. Now, do most officials follow that rule? Hell no! They call a pin so fast it looks like a freestyle match at the world championships.

Correct me if I am wrong but at no time can you ever look at a still photo and day that a pin has occurred. The "pin" must be held at least a second in college. Now, do most officials follow that rule? Hell no! They call a pin so fast it looks like a freestyle match at the world championships.

Not sure if you're aware, but this thread was initiated with a link to a VIDEO of a co-pinfall.  

Sorry, this is still not the smallest unit of time. ;)

Why does this argument never come up when discussing the Hendricks-Churella situation with Kessel?  This has always been my argument for that case.