Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

Alton's gas

PSU just isn't a one of the better conditioned teams.

i have to wonder how their guys will hold up in the wrestlebacks if they have to wrestle more than once in a session at nationals against other studs who are well conditioned.

Guest Hammerlock3

I worthwhile question, but as of late they are so good in march I won't comment.

PSU just isn't a one of the better conditioned teams.

i have to wonder how their guys will hold up in the wrestlebacks if they have to wrestle more than once in a session at nationals against other studs who are well conditioned.

fair question about A Alton, but Dylan proved he could handle it

after his loss to St John in quarters he ran off wins against Kreimier from AFA, then 3 studs in a row in Green, Sanjaa (OT), and Welch

Listen, I agree some wrestlers may not quite have the lungs that others have and that could be the case with AA. However , there are few wrestlers who I look forward to watching than the Alton's. they are great for the sport and I wish more kids would wrestle like them. Their styles; mix of upper body throws with power doubles is going to take much more out of a wrestler than many other more boring styles. We teach young kids the ultimate goal is to pin your opponent and with the Alton's, that's what u get. I wish the criticisms would stop on these kids. Their style is similar to Caldwell's and he faced similar criticisms but did get himself a national title.

Listen, I agree some wrestlers may not quite have the lungs that others have and that could be the case with AA. However , there are few wrestlers who I look forward to watching than the Alton's. they are great for the sport and I wish more kids would wrestle like them. Their styles; mix of upper body throws with power doubles is going to take much more out of a wrestler than many other more boring styles. We teach young kids the ultimate goal is to pin your opponent and with the Alton's, that's what u get. I wish the criticisms would stop on these kids. Their style is similar to Caldwell's and he faced similar criticisms but did get himself a national title.

Dude, if you think your the only Alton fan, your completely wrong. We are all fans and I absolutely love watching them wrestle. As much as any other PSU wrestler. Fact is, lungs need work or the problem needs fixed. Maybe it's a weight issue, who knows. A buddy of mine said he had to cut 10 pounds before the Nebraska match. In order to compete in March though, these issues need fixed. That's not an unfair criticism.

AAlton's gas/adrenaline dump problem reminds me a little of Kolat during the early part of his college career (@ Penn State). Cary's tendency to go full bore during the first period would sometimes hurt his performance late in the match. His losses to Ironside (in Carver-Hawkeye) and Mohammadi (Oregon St., in the '94 NCAA semis) come to mind.

Well here is a question on the Alton's. During their suspension, were they practicing with the team or were they even on the mat much? I know they wrestled in a couple opens but if you aren't actually on the mat every day wrestling, your conditioning can take a hit. You can run as much as possible but it isn't the 100% answer for having good conditioning in a match.

Fair statement tec. Wrestling live does have a different impact on building endurance than any running or practice can have. I am sure that they were practicing each day, and even wrestling some tourneys, but they still looked a bit lacking on gas. Maybe it was the level of competition, or maybe it is just their style that is working against them.

I fared much the same in HS (regarding the gas tank), but it took a while for me to find that I was more of a sprinter than a distance guy, and I had to pace myself to be sure that I had gas in the third. My focus was usually on the pin, so I worked so hard the first and second that I usually had nothing left for the third. After a while I found that I had to back off a bit, attack a situation if it presented itself, but not force the issue so much. Over time I found some fuel left in the third, but my overall pin percentage also dropped. I would think that the Altons would already have found this formula, but their style may still be so explosive early that they still don't have much left.

As a fan of great wrestling, I hope that they will find their breath. But as someone who does not particularly care for PSU at this time, it wouldn't bother me if they didn't either.

Sometimes it's not the lungs, but the body itself. Cardio/Lungs is all good, yet ....

If a guy is not staying balanced with electrolytes, blood sugar etc .. It will look like a lung issue, when in fact the body/muscles are not getting the O2 it needs, because the O2 carrying capacity of the blood is compromised, due to bad nutrition, low blood sugar etc .

At one point it time I had 3 duels in one week at 118#, and by the 3rd dual i was just gassed ... couldn't make it out of the 2nd period. In disgust, I blew out my diet, pork'd out and put on about 15#'s. Had to cut hard to get back down, yet the confusing thing was ... I FELT GREAT!! And wrestled my best ...the following week.

Evidently my blood carrying capacity was messed up, from starving my self (essentially)

His gassing could be a sign of bad nutrition, imbalance of H20, etc .. I find it hard to believe that the PSU guys are not getting the work-outs they need, to stay in Cardio "shape". Also if dehydrated too much, again that compromises the capacity of the blood to carry O2.

Something is not right, yet I find it hard to believe it's strictly his inability, or lack of effort, to get into top level wrestling condition.

JMO

Only one Alton wrestles this way.

Only one Alton wrestles this way.

I've been watching them both since they were young and I've seen both of them wrestle this way.

PSU (under Cael) always seem to peak by Big10s......so I'm not worried about their apparent lack of conditioning right now.

Now, if we see this continue at Big10 tourney....then I'll start to worry for NCAAs.

PSU (under Cael) always seem to peak by Big10s......so I'm not worried about their apparent lack of conditioning right now.

Now, if we see this continue at Big10 tourney....then I'll start to worry for NCAAs.

JMO, but it seems like a major issue right now. It's not like it's showing at the end of 3. I see some tiring in the 1st. Anyone else?

JMO, but it seems like a major issue right now. It's not like it's showing at the end of 3. I see some tiring in the 1st. Anyone else?

Now, you are exaggerating a bit. I've not seen him tiring in the 1st periods. In fact, in each of his last two matches, he was extremely impressive in the first 1.5 periods. It seems in the middle of the 2nd, you can see some tiring. I'm still in the camp that he will be fine come March, and there is more to it than just not being in shape, which I don't think is the case.

Now, you are exaggerating a bit. I've not seen him tiring in the 1st periods. In fact, in each of his last two matches, he was extremely impressive in the first 1.5 periods. It seems in the middle of the 2nd, you can see some tiring. I'm still in the camp that he will be fine come March, and there is more to it than just not being in shape, which I don't think is the case.

Double watch his last 3. Trust me, I hope for nothing more than to say your right, but I'm having some doubts. I feel bad for AA because its not him at all. I'm thinking weight may be an issue.

Double watch his last 3. Trust me, I hope for nothing more than to say your right, but I'm having some doubts. I feel bad for AA because its not him at all. I'm thinking weight may be an issue.

Yeah, I'm curious as to what it is as well. It may have something to do with his style, as he goes all out off the whistle, usually looking for the fall. However, there are other wrestlers who work hard from the first whistle, who don't gas out in the 3rd. Andrew is talented enough to hang in there with ANYONE, but, I agree that this issue, whatever is causing it, is a threat to hold him back from his potential. I've followed the Altons for a LONG time, and they are two of my all-time favorites. They are both great kids, and I just hope Andrew gets it corrected, whatever "it" is.

Yeah, I'm curious as to what it is as well. It may have something to do with his style, as he goes all out off the whistle, usually looking for the fall. However, there are other wrestlers who work hard from the first whistle, who don't gas out in the 3rd. Andrew is talented enough to hang in there with ANYONE, but, I agree that this issue, whatever is causing it, is a threat to hold him back from his potential. I've followed the Altons for a LONG time, and they are two of my all-time favorites. They are both great kids, and I just hope Andrew gets it corrected, whatever "it" is.

Me too. I'm actually from Lycoming county which is right next to them. Andrew can absolutely hang with anyone in regards to potential. It's just when the body says no, that's lights out. I've been there...