STEW

2019-2022 Championship Sites

I thought this was suppose to be announced this past December but I haven't heard anything about it and can't find anything by doing a google search. Anyone have any info? Hoping there are some new destinations added to the mix...

Edited by STEW

I did see that Little Caesars Arena, which will become the home of the Detroit Pistons and Red Wings next year, submitted bids to host all four years of the Wrestling Championships.

I went to the NCAAs in Detroit and it was awful.  The hotels and restaurants were 20+ minutes from the arena.  There was no convention space for the fan expo so it was in tents in the parking lot in 25 degree weather.  Hopefully the new arena you mentioned is more centrally located and has the surrounding infrastructure to make the event enjoyable.

Considering how many Division I schools are in the eastern part of the country, there is no good reason for having it in St. Louis every year.

I like the East/Mid West rotation.

However, St Louis is the best, and I'm an East Coaster.

NYC was better and not as expensive as I thought it would be.

Philly was ok at best.  Too much driving for my liking.

I'm interested in how it is going to be next year in Cleveland.

I went to both Philly in 2011 and NYC in 2016 and here are the all-session prices:

2011 Wachovia Center - Section 217A $135.00

2016 Madison Square  - Section 204  $235.00

The seats in Philly were great sight-wise but very uncomfortable for long periods.

The seats in NYC were awesome bar-stool type with a counter to put drinks & food on.  Right below us there were flat screens everywhere. 

This was way better then Philly - but $100 difference also.

How much do all-session tickets cost in St Louis ?

I went to both Philly in 2011 and NYC in 2016 and here are the all-session prices:

2011 Wachovia Center - Section 217A $135.00

2016 Madison Square  - Section 204  $235.00

The seats in Philly were great sight-wise but very uncomfortable for long periods.

The seats in NYC were awesome bar-stool type with a counter to put drinks & food on.  Right below us there were flat screens everywhere. 

This was way better then Philly - but $100 difference also.

How much do all-session tickets cost in St Louis ?

The Wells Fargo Center (Formerly Wachovia Center) did do some upgrading this past off season inside the arena. Also Xfinity live, which was being built while NCAA's were going on in 2011, is a cool bar to hangout at in between sessions and only about 100 yards from The Well. So Philly has done some upgrading. It is a bit far from center city, but the subway takes you right to the Well for only a couple bucks. 

I think Nashville would be a great city to Host. The Bridgestone Arena seats 20,000 and located in the Heart of the City. Plenty of Hotels and places to eat plus the weather is usually pretty nice.

What school or conference would host the championships?  

I went to the NCAAs in Detroit and it was awful.  The hotels and restaurants were 20+ minutes from the arena.  There was no convention space for the fan expo so it was in tents in the parking lot in 25 degree weather.  Hopefully the new arena you mentioned is more centrally located and has the surrounding infrastructure to make the event enjoyable.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Palace+of+Auburn+Hills,+Championship+Drive,+Auburn+Hills,+MI/Little+Caesars+Arena,+66+Sibley+St,+Detroit,+MI+48201/@42.5168858,-83.4488548,84866m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x8824ead179e0b38f:0x4b741e0e512f828a!2m2!1d-83.2457019!2d42.697087!1m5!1m1!1s0x8824d2cad3b54e5f:0x21f1ad1bf53c314e!2m2!1d-83.0554329!2d42.341078 

Looks like all of your complaints would be remedied.  

I went to the NCAAs in Detroit and it was awful. The hotels and restaurants were 20+ minutes from the arena. There was no convention space for the fan expo so it was in tents in the parking lot in 25 degree weather. Hopefully the new arena you mentioned is more centrally located and has the surrounding infrastructure to make the event enjoyable.

Completely agree. I have been to every NCAA since 2000, and Detroit was easily the worst overall experience.

Edited by Show_Me

Then I'd have no issue with it.

To me the key factors are;

1) nearby quality convention space for the fanfest

2) nearby restaurants and hotels (a plus if it's held downtown and it's a cool downtown).

3) cost 

4) ease of travel and access from airport to hotel to arena.  Don't make me rent a car.

Almost everyone does this well.  STL does it very well.  I wasn't in NY or Philly as my job has not been wrestling the last few years so I don't get to attend every year.  OKC was fun and has a good downtown.  

Completely agree. I have been to every NCAA since 2000, and Detroit was easily the worst overall experience.

Back in 2007, NCAAs were held way out in Auburn Hills, a suburb approximately 40 minutes from Detroit.  Little Caesars Arena is right downtown, and Detroit has a lot of new hotels and restaurants.