Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

i would oppose duals too if i kept taking losses

i would oppose duals too if i kept taking losses each year even though i had what everyone was calling unbeatable teams in the start of the season

2011 lost to iowa at home in a head to head wins nationals in a mashed up field of teams

2012 lost to minnesota at home in a head to head wins nationals in a mashed up field of teams

2013 lost to iowa but is favorite in a head to head wins nationals in a mashed up field of teams

no wonder cael doesnt want things to change

it could probably be worse if he wrestled tough duals outside of the big 10

duals dont draw fans ha ha this dual probably sold more tickets than we available to the public for desmoine

I watched the dual and it was a great atmosphere that probably helped Iowa win the three close matches at 1256, 157, and 174. Penn State was looking very tough in those matches, but it seemed like the Iowa fans just willed it.

Great dual and very good for college wrestling. It would have been fun to see the Iowa fans storm the mats after the win.

i would oppose duals too if i kept taking losses each year even though i had what everyone was calling unbeatable teams in the start of the season

2011 lost to iowa at home in a head to head wins nationals in a mashed up field of teams

2012 lost to minnesota at home in a head to head wins nationals in a mashed up field of teams

2013 lost to iowa but is favorite in a head to head wins nationals in a mashed up field of teams

duals dont draw fans ha ha this dual probably sold more tickets than we available to the public for desmoine

Maybe I am wrong here, but didn't Brands oppose it also? Maybe I am dreaming or senile, but for some reason I think that was the case also. Maybe it was Koll? Can't remember.

is it too late for penn state to accept an invitation to the national duals?

do they think they can beat the only undefeated team in the country oklahoma state

best team until proven otherwise is oklahoma state

penn state has some good individuals

Maybe I am wrong here, but didn't Brands oppose it also? Maybe I am dreaming or senile, but for some reason I think that was the case also. Maybe it was Koll? Can't remember.

No, you're right, it was Brands. Of course, Brands also said he supported it two years to the day before he opposed it (during a TDR interview about them not attending National Duals).

brands takes his team to it and was in favor of supporting it but wanted some changes

sanderson was the only one that came unglued and tried to rally all his drones to preserve his legacy

This is just silly. An intelligent coach recruits and makes roster choices based on the current scoring system. Cael has done that better than any other coach. His team is again the favorite to win at NCAAs.

I doubt Gulibon gets redshirted under a dual championship scenario. I doubt Brands signs two 125ers to sit behind McD for a year when he has pressing needs at other weights. A dual system would change every team's approach towards filling out their roster.

The point is you build your team to win championships. That's the way it is.

I would swap weights between DT and Brown, and try to recruit a little better at 133-141. Unless you're minnesota, no one recruits well at HWT. The top 10 just sort of happens from anywhere.

Who is the small guys coach at PSU? I forget.

This is just silly. An intelligent coach recruits and makes roster choices based on the current scoring system. Cael has done that better than any other coach. His team is again the favorite to win at NCAAs.

I doubt Gulibon gets redshirted under a dual championship scenario. I doubt Brands signs two 125ers to sit behind McD for a year when he has pressing needs at other weights. A dual system would change every team's approach towards filling out their roster.

The point is you build your team to win championships. That's the way it is.

Spot on.

When the system changes, Cael, et al, will adjust to the new rules. Until then, the championship TEAM is determined at Nationals in March. We'll see what happens. I don't see PSU as a lock -- the favorite, yes -- but not a lock.

What would be most interesting to me is if two champs were crowned and coaches had to balance the two competing needs. But so long as there is a single champ crowned, the NCAA decides how that champ is crowned. And PSU has been that team the last two years. These facts are undeniable.

I would swap weights between DT and Brown, and try to recruit a little better at 133-141. Unless you're minnesota, no one recruits well at HWT. The top 10 just sort of happens from anywhere.

um, Jimmy Gulibon, who has two wins over a certain blue chip Cornell recruit, will be at 133 next year and Zane Retherferd is coming in at 141 next season. I don't think you can recruit those weights better then that.

um, Jimmy Gulibon, who has two wins over a certain blue chip Cornell recruit, will be at 133 next year and Zane Retherferd is coming in at 141 next season. I don't think you can recruit those weights better then that.

Brands did

The championship is decided currently by the tournament at the end of the season. So, PSU lost a dual meet the previous two years and then won the national championship. Who cares ? Does losing a dual meet diminish their accomplishment ? Under the current format, PSU is going for their 3rd straight national championship in March. I wouldn't mind seeing a format where there is a national duals champion and a national tournament team champion, but, that isn't where we are right now.

The championship is decided currently by the tournament at the end of the season. So, PSU lost a dual meet the previous two years and then won the national championship. Who cares ? Does losing a dual meet diminish their accomplishment ? Under the current format, PSU is going for their 3rd straight national championship in March. I wouldn't mind seeing a format where there is a national duals champion and a national tournament team champion, but, that isn't where we are right now.

17000 people in corn country cared last night. it doesn't diminish the accomplishment, but it calls into question whether or not we determine the championship in a way that is best for the future growth of the sport.

17000 people in corn country cared last night. it doesn't diminish the accomplishment, but it calls into question whether or not we determine the championship in a way that is best for the future growth of the sport.

Like I said, I would like to see two champions crowned (Dual & Tournament Teams).

There's always been a distinction drawn between a dual team and a tournament team regardless of a recognized NCAA championship. The weight of the distinction depends on who won where and when.

I'm really high on Retherford, but if PSU wants him to be competitive at 141 right out of the gates next season as a true freshman they better get him hitting the weights & beefing up. I've seen some of his matches this year as a HS 138 pounder and he looks way undersized.

The championship is decided currently by the tournament at the end of the season. So, PSU lost a dual meet the previous two years and then won the national championship. Who cares? Does losing a dual meet diminish their accomplishment ? Under the current format, PSU is going for their 3rd straight national championship in March. I wouldn't mind seeing a format where there is a national duals champion and a national tournament team champion, but, that isn't where we are right now.

I'm guessing Cael cares. I even think his wrestlers care and maybe PSU's fans care. I think you might be one of the few who might not care. But really I think you care too.

No, you're right, it was Brands. Of course, Brands also said he supported it two years to the day before he opposed it (during a TDR interview about them not attending National Duals).

Way to reinvent history. Brands' statement supporting duals was made after he chose not to compete in the old format held at UNI (Cedar Falls). At the time he made his case for non-participation in that specific competition, but indicated this was not his general position and that Iowa would certainly participate in subsequent years.

His statement two years later was in response to the NWCA-proposed format and the NCAA recognition of the duals as the only championship competition they were prepared to certify.

Don't try to obfuscate and confuse the issue.