Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Lehigh vs Virginia Tech

This looks like a pretty good dual. Would love to be able to watch this one, guess I'll have to settle for Iowa/Ohio St. With Cornell's win over Lehigh last week, a Lehigh upset here would make the dual series selection for the 2-5 or 6 non Big10 teams interesting and complicated.

125: Dance vs Cruz, I'm taking the favorite Dance, but Cruz has seemed to look pretty good as of late so an upset here isnt out of the question. 3-0 VT

133: Not sure what we see here, any Lehigh insiders know if Parker will be back? Virginia Tech insiders, will we see Gustafson? This could be a battle of backups, which would probably make this a tossup. Parker vs Gustafson would be good match, Parker ranked higher but right off injury who knows what to expect. 3-3 tie

141: Cruz vs ?, again looking for help, will this be Norstrem? Either way favor Lehigh. 6-3 Lehigh

149: Chisko vs Gardner, close match rankings wise, I think 7 vs 9 depending which rankings you like. Battle of two PA boys, Chisko the bigger name recruit who already has an AA and Gardner just tough as nails and improving evey year. Close match but I'm boring and will take the favorite Chisko. 6-6 tie

157: Kutler vs Mastriani/Blees: Dont think it matters who VT uses, Mastriani may keep it closer but Kutler wins this one comfortably. 9-6 Lehigh

165: Minotti/Longo/Walter vs ? : Who knows who Lehigh will be using this week, but they all seem to be on the same tier for the most part this year with Minotti not seeming to be able to get right health wise. No McFadden coming out of redshirt, cant recall the name of the guy who has been starting for VT. Personally I thought Blees would go 65, figured maybe the cut to 57 may have been part of why he hasnt panned out relative to expectations so far. Regardless who goes here, I'll take Lehigh. 12-6 Lehigh

174: Preisch vs Epperly: Probably the best match of the dual. Last week I picked Preisch to upset Realbuto, 4-4 match and a no control fall kills me. Dont think I'll take him in this one, but just because of that he'll probably win, so apologies for the curse Epperly! Expecting a good one, once again picking the favorite, Epperly. 12-9 Lehigh

184: Zavatsky vs Gentile: These last 3 weights are where it gets one sided, so unless Lehigh has pulled some upsets and wrapped it up by now, VT rolls in the last three. Zavatsky so good on top I'm thinking major at least here. 13-12 VT

197: Haught vs Haas: No contest really, but dont think of Haught as a bonus point machine, so maybe just a regular decison. 16-12 VT

285: Walz vs Vollaro: I know the Vollaro family a little bit, use to go to the same room Doug came up thru and remember watching him get pounded every day in practice until his growth spurt came around 8th grade. Have always loved following him and how well hes done, not a lot of guys come from our area to do well in D1 or at Fargo. Rooting Vollaro, but dont think his in in Walz league, so I must pick Walz here. 19-12 VT final

This looks like a pretty good dual. Would love to be able to watch this one, guess I'll have to settle for Iowa/Ohio St. With Cornell's win over Lehigh last week, a Lehigh upset here would make the dual series selection for the 2-5 or 6 non Big10 teams interesting and complicated.

125: Dance vs Cruz, I'm taking the favorite Dance, but Cruz has seemed to look pretty good as of late so an upset here isnt out of the question. 3-0 VT

133: Not sure what we see here, any Lehigh insiders know if Parker will be back? Virginia Tech insiders, will we see Gustafson? This could be a battle of backups, which would probably make this a tossup. Parker vs Gustafson would be good match, Parker ranked higher but right off injury who knows what to expect. 3-3 tie

141: Cruz vs ?, again looking for help, will this be Norstrem? Either way favor Lehigh. 6-3 Lehigh

149: Chisko vs Gardner, close match rankings wise, I think 7 vs 9 depending which rankings you like. Battle of two PA boys, Chisko the bigger name recruit who already has an AA and Gardner just tough as nails and improving evey year. Close match but I'm boring and will take the favorite Chisko. 6-6 tie

157: Kutler vs Mastriani/Blees: Dont think it matters who VT uses, Mastriani may keep it closer but Kutler wins this one comfortably. 9-6 Lehigh

165: Minotti/Longo/Walter vs ? : Who knows who Lehigh will be using this week, but they all seem to be on the same tier for the most part this year with Minotti not seeming to be able to get right health wise. No McFadden coming out of redshirt, cant recall the name of the guy who has been starting for VT. Personally I thought Blees would go 65, figured maybe the cut to 57 may have been part of why he hasnt panned out relative to expectations so far. Regardless who goes here, I'll take Lehigh. 12-6 Lehigh

174: Preisch vs Epperly: Probably the best match of the dual. Last week I picked Preisch to upset Realbuto, 4-4 match and a no control fall kills me. Dont think I'll take him in this one, but just because of that he'll probably win, so apologies for the curse Epperly! Expecting a good one, once again picking the favorite, Epperly. 12-9 Lehigh

184: Zavatsky vs Gentile: These last 3 weights are where it gets one sided, so unless Lehigh has pulled some upsets and wrapped it up by now, VT rolls in the last three. Zavatsky so good on top I'm thinking major at least here. 13-12 VT

197: Haught vs Haas: No contest really, but dont think of Haught as a bonus point machine, so maybe just a regular decison. 16-12 VT

285: Walz vs Vollaro: I know the Vollaro family a little bit, use to go to the same room Doug came up thru and remember watching him get pounded every day in practice until his growth spurt came around 8th grade. Have always loved following him and how well hes done, not a lot of guys come from our area to do well in D1 or at Fargo. Rooting Vollaro, but dont think his in in Walz league, so I must pick Walz here. 19-12 VT final

Patriot League Network should have it.

VT is in for a long night if they show up thinking this.

Totally agree. There are enough close matches that they have to perform.

Dance is something like 3-0 vs Cruz I think. He absolutely should win. With that said, if he takes Cruz for granted he will lose.

It kind of reminds me of the Iowa vs PSU dual, in that the good guys from Iowa went against even better guys from PSU, making the dual hard to win.

It will take a Preisch win and some bonus, maybe a fall for Lehigh to pull it out. And both Cruz needing to win.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I would agree. Randy Cruz winning shouldnt be an issue, Darian would need to upset, Preisch would need to upset, their backup 33 needs to win (tough thing to ask if Gustafson wrestles, maybe not to tough if it's Latona?), they need to hold serve where favored and not get bonused from 84-285, or at least maybe in just 1 of the 3 with 84 being probable bonus. None of those thngs are out of the question, but asking for them all in one night might be too much, IMO.

Totally agree. There are enough close matches that they have to perform.

Dance is something like 3-0 vs Cruz I think. He absolutely should win. With that said, if he takes Cruz for granted he will lose.

It kind of reminds me of the Iowa vs PSU dual, in that the good guys from Iowa went against even better guys from PSU, making the dual hard to win.

think the only time they've met in college was 2014 NCAAs where Dance won 4-1. they were 'seeded' to face off in quarters last year but both lost in rd of 16. Joey needs this one to keep a shot at #1 seed at NCAAs  

think the only time they've met in college was 2014 NCAAs where Dance won 4-1. they were 'seeded' to face off in quarters last year but both lost in rd of 16. Joey needs this one to keep a shot at #1 seed at NCAAs  

You think Dance could have a shot at the 1? I assume that would be predacated on Gilman taking a loss and Dance running the table? If Dance and Gilman are both undefeated, I'm not sure how Dance could possibly get the 1. Big 10 champ vs ACC champ, if Gilman were to run the table it would in all likelihood mean two wins over #3 Suriano, wins over #4 and #5 Lambert and Lizak (probably multiple over Lizak, dual and Big10 semis), and Dance's best wins would be Mueller, Cruz and Josh Rodriguez. Dont see much chance of Dance over Gilman, unless Gilman loses and Dance doesnt.

You think Dance could have a shot at the 1? I assume that would be predacated on Gilman taking a loss and Dance running the table? If Dance and Gilman are both undefeated, I'm not sure how Dance could possibly get the 1. Big 10 champ vs ACC champ, if Gilman were to run the table it would in all likelihood mean two wins over #3 Suriano, wins over #4 and #5 Lambert and Lizak (probably multiple over Lizak, dual and Big10 semis), and Dance's best wins would be Mueller, Cruz and Josh Rodriguez. Dont see much chance of Dance over Gilman, unless Gilman loses and Dance doesnt.

yes, Dance needs to win to keep a shot at getting #1 seed, which would be predicated on Gilman losing. Agreed, no chance Dance gets #1 if they both go in undefeated. 

My guesses:

Dance 3-0 VT

Gus 6-0 VT

Cruz 6-5 VT

Chishko 9-5 VT

Kutler 9-8 VT

Lehigh 9-12 Lehigh

Epp 12-12

ZZ 16-12 VT

Haught 19-12 VT

Walz 22-12 VT

Lehigh needs a couple of upsets but there are definitely some opportunities for that. I'm nervous about 125 and 174. Joey makes me nervous just based on his last 2 post season performances - and he can be too conservative. Epp has a tenancy to start slow and give up the 1st takedown. Both have been on fire lately so we'll see. Also 149 - Chishko has been sick and it's close even if he is healthy.

Edited by HokieFan