TobusRex

Most Unpopular NCAA champs

Cornell's Dake was an arrogant fellow. That seems to be a. characteristic of Koll's guys.

Kinda makes sense though. 1) Cornell is one of the best wrestling schools in the country despite being a small private school, 2) Cornell is arguably the best academic school in the NCAA (Harvard and Brown would argue otherwise). So those guys are good wrestlers getting a free ride to one of the best schools in the world? Hell, if I was one of those guys I probably couldn't wear a hat.

How about Chris Taylor? I remember in the days of unlimited HWT that pretty much everybody rooted against the biggest guys. Taylor was immense, and pinned the hell out of people for a couple years in NCAAs. I bet he was wildly reviled outside ISU circles.

How about Chris Taylor? I remember in the days of unlimited HWT that pretty much everybody rooted against the biggest guys. Taylor was immense, and pinned the hell out of people for a couple years in NCAAs. I bet he was wildly reviled outside ISU circles.

Actually, he was pretty popular.

Kinda makes sense though. 1) Cornell is one of the best wrestling schools in the country despite being a small private school, 2) Cornell is arguably the best academic school in the NCAA (Harvard and Brown would argue otherwise). So those guys are good wrestlers getting a free ride to one of the best schools in the world? Hell, if I was one of those guys I probably couldn't wear a hat.

Nice complement to Cornell but Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, and some others would debate #2. And do you know if they all had so much financial need that they have a free ride? Recall there are no Merit scholarships (academic, athletic, or otherwise) in the Ivy League.

Saying all the best Cornell guys are arrogant -- not right. Nahshon, Dean, Bosak, Lewnes, all impress me as pretty humble guys. Some are a bit cocky, I don't mind, we need some of that in the sport.

I can only go back a couple of decades but my top three would be:

1. Mocco - which made it so special when Konrad beat him.

2. Metcalf - he was such an unrepentant ass kicker.

3. Hendricks - dude embraced the black hatted cowboy role.

Special mention for my personal choice Esposito - King of the lung time outs.

I believe there is a two time NCAA champ that is probably unpopular with 47â„… of all Americans.

Jimmy Jordan.

We interviewed the Congressman a few months ago, and he was a great guy...here's our 100% politics free discussion, which includes a breakdown of his first title, won against John Smith: 

https://soundcloud.com/diplosport/diplosport-podcast-114-jim-jordan