TobusRex

Most Unpopular NCAA champs

Kurt Angle for going WWE and then once in WWE he regularly got the 'you suck' chants.

as for forum chatter, other than good ol' Suzie Shagwell a lot of people got on Varner's case 'Varnish' and all that. This of course pre Oly Gold.

Some loon from NY used to regularly chastise his state brethren Nickerson for not being in same league as a bunch of guys from the 70s.

Mocco/Metcalf/Hendricks

Rosholt

Fox

Gallick

Perry (both Mark and Chris)

Special mention for Matt Valenti, the least mentioned 2xer ever.

Who didn't like Valenti? You? Why?

And on Askren (someone mentioned him above), I don't get it -- fans I listened to all loved him.

Why was fox disliked? If your talking about the heavy from northwestern

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I can't speak for others, but he was just generally unlikable in style and personality.  I remember at Natty Duals in the UNIdome one year, Fox was ranked #1 and his opponent was unranked.  His team needed a major to tie and a tech or pin to win.  He did absolutely nothing but stand around all match won like 2-1 or something, and then stood up flexing for the crowd and yawlping like he'd just won the Olympics.  His team lost.  After that, I never liked the guy.  Completely without justification, but that's the beauty of being a fan.

Who didn't like Valenti? You? Why?

And on Askren (someone mentioned him above), I don't get it -- fans I listened to all loved him.

OP says "unpopular" not disliked.  I just thought his complete lack of popularity was noteworthy.  He's actually a good dude.  And there were plenty of posters on here who disliked Askren's arrogance and shenanigans, despite his performance backing them up.

OP says "unpopular" not disliked. I just thought his complete lack of popularity was noteworthy. He's actually a good dude. And there were plenty of posters on here who disliked Askren's arrogance and shenanigans, despite his performance backing them up.

Askren was pure comedy. At national duals at UNI he slapped his hands together, then pointed at Zeke Jones, and proceeded to pin AA Herrington in 1 min. After pinning ? From OK st he danced around the ring like he was riding a horse with an invisible lasso & then looked at John Smith for a response. He borrowed the 165lbrs singlet and changed under the bleachers because he forgot his. In the finals he bumped to 184 and beat Kish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba got a lot of boos for slaying the unicorn.

Bubba was cheered by all for his pinfall of the Unicorn.

Although, he was hated for his previous bouts with Sir Metcalf.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

Actually, he was pretty popular.

Very popular, IMO.  Remember, Taylor was an Olympian in both Greco and freestyle during the summer between his junior and senior years at ISU.  He was also a very humble guy with a self-deprecating sense of humor. The title of his biography (The Gentle Giant) kind of sums up his personality.  Gone way to soon.  RIP, Big Man.

518PQF96VNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'll just add Matt Brown to this list, not because he is an unlikeable person or people rooted against him.  Just that I remember 174 that year being one of the most boring weights i've ever seen, and he happened to be the guy that won it.  

Tsirtsis is another NCAA champ that wrestled especially boring matches.  Still, I was happy to see him win after what happened to his brother.  

I believe there is a two time NCAA champ that is probably unpopular with 47â„… of all Americans.
Jimmy Jordan.

You're greatly overestimating both the number of Americans who have heard of him and the number who he'd be popular with if they had.  

2) Cornell is arguably the best academic school in the NCAA (Harvard and Brown would argue otherwise). So those guys are good wrestlers getting a free ride to one of the best schools in the world? Hell, if I was one of those guys I probably couldn't wear a hat.

We're talking about the Ag school here. Yeah, it's still pretty good..But it's not really the same thing. Also i've never met anyone who argued that Cornell is as good as Harvard, Stanford, or Princeton.  

I'll just add Matt Brown to this list, not because he is an unlikeable person or people rooted against him.  Just that I remember 174 that year being one of the most boring weights i've ever seen, and he happened to be the guy that won it.  

Tsirtsis is another NCAA champ that wrestled especially boring matches.  Still, I was happy to see him win after what happened to his brother.  

You're greatly overestimating both the number of Americans who have heard of him and the number who he'd be popular with if they had.  

We're talking about the Ag school here. Yeah, it's still pretty good..But it's not really the same thing. Also i've never met anyone who argued that Cornell is as good as Harvard, Stanford, or Princeton.  

Many people go to the Ag school at Cornell because it's easier to get accepted, and it is cheaper.  Many people in the Ag school also take as many courses in the private colleges (Arts, Engineering) as they are allowed); I knew a girl who met the ChemEng. requirements while also being in the Ag school.

Of course, there are exceptions to the "b-b-but Ag School!" meme.  Some samples:

125:  Hotel Admin (Baughman), Architecture (Overhiser)

133:  ILR (Lehr), Engineering (Tucker)

141:  Engineering (Koll, with a 4.0 GPA)

149:  Engineering (Furnas)

174:  Realbuto Academic All-Ivy 2015

184:  Business (Dean; also Academic All-Ivy 2015, 2016)

Tsirtsis was the most boring non-heavyweight champ I've ever seen.

I actually enjoyed watching Chris Perry wrestle. He was pretty good, 2 x champ, but there wasn't much margin between him and the other 3 or 4 top guys. I really enjoyed those  tense matches against Brown, Storley, Evans. His Sr year nobody gave him a chance against Howe and Perry took care of business. He impressed me, frankly. I know a lot of people hate him cuz of the close matches and the crab rides (I think that's what it's called, right?), but he wasn't breaking any rules.

Some of the Iowa wrestlers show poor sportsmanship. Doesn't bother me much, but I think it reflects poorly on their coaching staff/discipline. I don't remember antics like Metcalf throwing headgear or **** talking like Gilman when Gable was coach. On the other hand I saw Gable throw a chair across Gallagher Hall at a dual in the late 70's, lol.