TobusRex

Most Unpopular NCAA champs

Askren was pure comedy. At national duals at UNI he slapped his hands together, then pointed at Zeke Jones, and proceeded to pin AA Herrington in 1 min. After pinning ? From OK st he danced around the ring like he was riding a horse with an invisible lasso & then looked at John Smith for a response. He borrowed the 165lbrs singlet and changed under the bleachers because he forgot his. In the finals he bumped to 184 and beat Kish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is funny.  Any links to these antics?

I heard that as a senior in HS, Askren showed up for the state finals in a suit and tie with a briefcase that contained his headgear. The guy is definitely on a different level in both funk and comedy.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I heard that as a senior in HS, Askren showed up for the state finals in a suit and tie with a briefcase that contained his headgear. The guy is definitely on a different level in both funk and comedy.

Here's the link to the T-Row & Funky Show where Ben talks about that tournament. It starts around the 35 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/JLe5E79rUIA

Edited by Stl

This is funny.  Any links to these antics?

No sorry - all from my memory. Stuck with me because every match he had me laughing my a$$ off. I mean what wrestler lips off to Zeke Jones & John Smith? Same tourney Perry threw his shoes away in the trashcan right next to me after losing to Hendricks. Brands came by 10 seconds later and picked them out of the trash. Had a coaches pass that weekend - saw a lot of stuff you don't see from the stands. 

Very popular, IMO.  Remember, Taylor was an Olympian in both Greco and freestyle during the summer between his junior and senior years at ISU.  He was also a very humble guy with a self-deprecating sense of humor. The title of his biography (The Gentle Giant) kind of sums up his personality.  Gone way to soon.  RIP, Big Man.

518PQF96VNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I "wrestled" him at a camp in PA when I was 13 years old.  He "wrestled" my brother and I at the same time.  

I was 75 lbs.  

My brother, 110.  

He foot swept both of us.  

He was pretty quick for a big guy.  

He died within 5 years after that. It was a sad moment.

What did he do?

He won Heavyweight in 2001.  Four matches went to OT and 3 of those went to ride out (The not OT win was 3-2).  If I remember correctly when he went to ultimate ride out he won every coin flip, chose bottom, and escaped to win.

Edited to add scores

He won 2-1 TB, 4-2 OT, 3-2, 2-1 TB, and 2-1TB.

Edited by tommytechnique

I "wrestled" him at a camp in PA when I was 13 years old.  He "wrestled" my brother and I at the same time.  

I was 75 lbs.  

My brother, 110.  

He foot swept both of us.  

He was pretty quick for a big guy.  

He died within 5 years after that. It was a sad moment.

at Russ Houck's camp? I attended one summer and he must've had half of the Olympic team there as clinicians ....also loved the technique sessions on outdoor mats under the picnic pavilions by the lake.

[quote name="Billyhoyle" post="253947" timestamp="148

You're greatly overestimating both the number of Americans who have heard of him and the number who he'd be popular with if they had.]

Re:

Maybe overestimated somewhat, but I bet his name is more recognizable to more Americans than any other on this list. Every true liberal would know him as a leader of tea party and a slayer of HRC. I doubt many know he was an NCAA champion though.

Edited by tbert

Sitting on the john, reading these posts and laufhing my ass off. Personal opinions - Askren was a total douche, Nelson was the most boring I ever saw live and the other genrleman was right... I have never seen a crowd as happy someone.lost as it was Zadick at the nationals.

He won Heavyweight in 2001. Four matches went to OT and 3 of those went to ride out (The not OT win was 3-2). If I remember correctly when he went to ultimate ride out he won every coin flip, chose bottom, and escaped to win.

Edited to add scores

He won 2-1 TB, 4-2 OT, 3-2, 2-1 TB, and 2-1TB.

Edited by LoStNuMbEr