Sign in to follow this  
nom

Bo Jordan - rankers explain yourself

I wrote plenty on this in another thread. But I'd like those that do rankings to defend having him at #1.

It is the end of January. We are 3 MONTHS in to this season. Guy has missed a ton of action. His match vs Meyer looked pretty poor. Did NOTHING until OT.

Do you really look at his body of work for this season - again three months old - and how he has looked this season, and TRULY believe he is THE BEST in the weight class RIGHT NOW?

I can not see a reasonable rational person saying they do believe this.

Do you think rankings should be impacted when a guy wins, if he doesn't look good doing it? I don't.

I can see why Zahid may have an argument here, but nobody else.

Bo has lost to two people in college. One graduated and one is in a different weight class.

The argument about years past is stale. We are THREE months into this season. He should have dropped down the rankings prior to yesterday. His performance yesterday just confirms this.

Do you believe he is the BEST RIGHT NOW in the weight class? If tourney was today, he would be the champ? No, I don't think you do.

Do you think rankings should be impacted when a guy wins, if he doesn't look good doing it? I don't.

Bo has lost to two people in college. One graduated and one is in a different weight class.

A rsFr looked better last night than Bo has looked against Isaac. 

The argument about years past is stale. We are THREE months into this season. He should have dropped down the rankings prior to yesterday. His performance yesterday just confirms this.

Do you believe he is the BEST RIGHT NOW in the weight class? If tourney was today, he would be the champ? No, I don't think you do.

It is like football. Once they make the mistake of placing a guy at #1, they never drop him until he actually loses. I would bet on Zahid if they wrestled, but every time that match comes up Bo is nowhere to be found. Happened 3x so far. 

Rankings are not tournament placings

174 NCAA final will be Valencia v Hall, unless they somehow end up on the same side of bracket. Jordan does not have the explosive offense of either of these two. In fact, nobody at that weight has their offense. Not a slight to Jordan, Epperly or Reabulto...but these two can do things that the others can't.

Hall is just getting warmed up and will be in peak form by March.

I agree he should have been ranked 1 preseason and he hasn't lost yet. Do the rankings really matter at this point? Jordan has Hall next week and he has the Big10s. If he goes they unscathed he will stay number 1. If he loses he won't. Not sure how you can drop him because he won ugly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

174 NCAA final will be Valencia v Hall, unless they somehow end up on the same side of bracket. Jordan does not have the explosive offense of either of these two. In fact, nobody at that weight has their offense. Not a slight to Jordan, Epperly or Reabulto...but these two can do things that the others can't.

Hall is just getting warmed up and will be in peak form by March.

Hall is liable to look MUCH better come March 16 - 18. His history says this is so, plus you add in the Cael Sanderson Penn State effect and it makes a lot of sense. Hall is also a very intellectual wrestler. He learns his lessons very fast. If he gets Meyer again I not only think he wins, but he wins easily. 

Hall is liable to look MUCH better come March 16 - 18. His history says this is so, plus you add in the Cael Sanderson Penn State effect and it makes a lot of sense. Hall is also a very intellectual wrestler. He learns his lessons very fast. If he gets Meyer again I not only think he wins, but he wins easily. 

TBar I agree with all of this but not sure about the bolded above....clue me in on this perspective.

TBar I agree with all of this but not sure about the bolded above....clue me in on this perspective.

Noting that he has lost very few times in his wrestling life to date, still when you look at times that he has lost before he seems to figure out a better way to wrestle that person. Bo Nickal has seemed to be an exception to that rule, but Bo has been a tough out for a lot of people. 

If Bo is in the finals at NCAAs, do you agree he should be ranked where he is right now? Or is this a problem with rankings rules?

I did not know there were actual ranking rules. Could you provide a link to the rules?

I am only referring to where he is ranked right now, and to be consistent with what I have always believed I think rankers should rank guys based on who they feel are the best guys until proven otherwise. If they did this then you could see where some or most might have ranked BoJo #1 to start the year and where some and perhaps most would not rank him #1 today, especially when you consider BoJo had three times the opportunity to just show up and wrestle Zahid and on each occasion he was not there. With a new baby I totally get that he had valid reasons, but he still has a new baby now and he left home last night to wrestle so just sayin. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as it should be.

I did not know there were actual ranking rules. Could you provide a link to the rules?

I am only referring to where he is ranked right now, and to be consistent with what I have always believed I think rankers should rank guys based on who they feel are the best guys until proven otherwise. If they did this then you could see where some or most might have ranked BoJo #1 to start the year and where some and perhaps most would not rank him #1 today, especially when you consider BoJo had three times the opportunity to just show up and wrestle Zahid and on each occasion he was not there. With a new baby I totally get that he had valid reasons, but he still has a new baby now and he left home last night to wrestle so just sayin.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as it should be.

There aren't. That's why I said that.

BoJo wrestled at literally 60% strength/health, and literally didn't take a shot h til the 3rd period, by plan. When you can do this and still beat a quality guy like Meyer at Carver of all places that's pretty incredible. Bo needs the matches so he gutted it out. Remember this guy was in a freakin walking boot just 2 weeks ago, hasn't wrestled in a long time. Give the guy a break.

But a ranking is based on wins and losses.  Bo's losses look great, but he has spent a large amount of time at 174 (10 matches last year and all year this season) without beating anyone.  His best win at 174 is Alex Meyer 3-2 on a late TD.

BoJo wrestled at literally 60% strength/health, and literally didn't take a shot h til the 3rd period, by plan. When you can do this and still beat a quality guy like Meyer at Carver of all places that's pretty incredible. Bo needs the matches so he gutted it out. Remember this guy was in a freakin walking boot just 2 weeks ago, hasn't wrestled in a long time. Give the guy a break.

This is ridiculous.  He was not 60% as there's no way to quantify a thing like that. As for needing the matches, he doesn't need them at all.  He can be silver status with nothing but the Big 10s.  And even if he didn't qualify a spot he'd easily steal one at Big 10s.  His coaches are far too smart to send him out there hurt to 'get matches'. 

Actually - the first coaches panel rankings have Valencia and Epperly tied at #1 - and those are the only rankings that matter.

But don't get too uptight Nom - still lots of wrestling to go befor NCAA's!

Edited by redblades