Sign in to follow this  
nom

Bo Jordan - rankers explain yourself

Was it not OT? Damn memory! Was it at the very end of the third? Oh well. Doesn't really change my point.

And yes, I agree, procedure is important. I don't like their procedure then. To me, pick another third place guy from last year, move him up in weight, have him sit for so long, know that he has an injury, just doesn't hold water that he keeps number 1.

I know I sound excited about this - I'm not. I just don't like the perverse incentives to sit someone and avoid the big matches. Rankers should penalize.

Lord -- you really feel that way? So he can sit out even more and still keep number one? If so, we simply aren't on the same page. And yea, I suppose it would be Zahid number one. But that's not because I'm rooting for Zahid, he's simply the logical choice.

Peace to all!

Edited by nom

Hey Husker Du. Curious -- will this missed match vs Hall impact Flo rankings? It's just one match. Can't knock Jordan if he didn't lose right? You guys going to keep defending the idiocy?

I was a proponent of keeping him at 1 until he loses. But blatant ducking should move him down now. If he was healthy enough to wrestle last week the only excuse was a duck job and he shouldn't be rewarded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His injury flaired up. Not a duck job. That's my guess. I mean no dispespect toward him. And the rankers will have NO evidence or proof that is was a duck. They simply have to see that he didn't step on the mat, just like all the other times, and decide if it should impact his ranking.

Obviously, I think it does. But the Flo guys feel all those missed matches and the known injury aren't relevant. They feel he has to lose to bring him down. It's a joke.

nom, idk you're pointing at me.

i made a number of points in the show (iirc) that asked why Bo was still #1. and in the previous show i said that Bo was unproven at 174.

also, this is a different week. and i'm more adamant he shouldn't be #1.

last week, Bo was back, and (though it wasn't pretty) beat the #10 guy in the country, a returning AA.

i thought - ok, he's back - he'll confirm or lose #1 in due time (this week).

all this being said - CP does the college rankings, not me.

i'd drop him at least behind Zahid, maybe further. 

Ranking Services should only be looking at this year at this late juncture of the Season. I get initial slotting based on previous years results, but we are far enough into this Season to be consistent with NCAA Seeding Criteria, which is, ONLY THIS SEASON.

Wrestlers with limited matches and unimpressive wins should be somewhat penalized.

IMO this applies to Youtsey, Peters, Palacio, Bo Jordan, Downey, & Snyder)

These guys are obviously all high caliber wrestlers but NONE of them deserve their current Rankings based on THIS Seasons accomplishments.

Disagree on Kyle Snyder. NCAA and rankers know he won't be wrestling a full slate of College matches and also know he just won Yarygin tournament and is the reigning World and Olympic Champion. Somehow I think that factors in how they view him. Reality rather than strictly holding to 'he has not wrestled enough matches' is real world here.

If you wonder about it take a look at what he did tonight against the #3 guy in his weight class - after a long flight back from Siberia that has to be tiring as hell.

On the others you want rankers to ignore reality as well. Not nearly as strong a case as Kyle Snyder but it is impossible to ignore what they have been doing when considering their history on the mat. Maybe the ranking criteria needs to be changed to better reflect real world results and accomplishments?

Husker - thanks for the reply.  I would not categorize your stance as disagreeing with Pyles last week.  But glad to hear your perspective.  I'm not sure where Bo would go but I could see a case being made that he should be behind Hall given that he missed the match.  And hasn't done much at all at 174.  If others put him in the 4-6 range, not so bad.  But again, there should be penalties for missing so many matches.

I wonder if CP will say ... "But Bo just wrestled, and he beat a returning AA. I don't care if he won ugly, that doesn't matter.  Nor does his known injury. Big deal Bo missed a match ... it's just another missed match on top of the many others. Why would one more missed match drop him from number 1.  Doesn't make sense.  This missed match is no bigger than the three he missed against Zahid.  In fact those missed matches are much bigger deals.  Why would missing a match vs a roughly 7/8 ranked guy hurt him more than missing THREE matches vs Zahid.  Fact is he didn't lose.  Another fact, he's only lost to 2 college wrestlers!!!  NONE OF THAT HAS CHANGED.  Heck, Snyder missed the Iowa match, should he get hurt by the rankings?  Fact is that it's just people that want Zahid at #1."

Good impression?  You've got to smack some sense into the boy!

CP is a big boy. he does a great job and can make his own decisions.

it's a tough spot to be in and i don't envy the situation.

i've said Bo isn't proven at 174. i relented a little after the meyer (though ugly) win.

but for my money, i'd move Bo down. there's a season worth of data now, and Bo has only 1 ranked win (meyer) and a win over Wisman (who beat Crutch).

that being said, i DO see where CP is coming from (you have to have a rationale you can apply in all situations, not just this one) and it's his call.

Husker - thanks for the reply.  I would not categorize your stance as disagreeing with Pyles last week.  But glad to hear your perspective.  I'm not sure where Bo would go but I could see a case being made that he should be behind Hall given that he missed the match.  And hasn't done much at all at 174.  If others put him in the 4-6 range, not so bad.  But again, there should be penalties for missing so many matches.

I wonder if CP will say ... "But Bo just wrestled, and he beat a returning AA. I don't care if he won ugly, that doesn't matter.  Nor does his known injury. Big deal Bo missed a match ... it's just another missed match on top of the many others. Why would one more missed match drop him from number 1.  Doesn't make sense.  This missed match is no bigger than the three he missed against Zahid.  In fact those missed matches are much bigger deals.  Why would missing a match vs a roughly 7/8 ranked guy hurt him more than missing THREE matches vs Zahid.  Fact is he didn't lose.  Another fact, he's only lost to 2 college wrestlers!!!  NONE OF THAT HAS CHANGED.  Heck, Snyder missed the Iowa match, should he get hurt by the rankings?  Fact is that it's just people that want Zahid at #1."

Good impression?  You've got to smack some sense into the boy!

His position already makes sense, you just don't agree with his methodology. Since nothing has changed, he's perfectly justified in ranking Bo #1 again.

Some years back, I seem to recall some of the same people in this thread making a similar argument that a guy named Marsteller should be ranked ahead of Bo in HS for similar reasons. We all know how that turned out. The rankings are a nice reference to have but honestly who cares if somebody is #1, 2, or 3. They'll figure it out in March.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Hey Husker - all good.

One request - volume check on your podcast. Can hear CP fine ... but you are much harder to hear sometimes. Anyway can a sound technician level you guys from a volume perspective?

I enjoy the podcast.

Edited by nom

Hey Husker - all good.

One request - volume check on your podcast. Can hear CP fine ... but you are much harder to hear sometimes. Anyway can a sound technician level you guys from a volume perspective?

I enjoy the podcast.

The above is true. CP's voice projects much louder while Willie's is much softer. I have to constantly move the volume to listen to the show. 

His position already makes sense, you just don't agree with his methodology. Since nothing has changed, he's perfectly justified in ranking Bo #1 again.

I don't think this is true.  At some point the inactivity would obviously change the rankings.  It's just unclear how far they will go without a change.

I don't think this is true.  At some point the inactivity would obviously change the rankings.  It's just unclear how far they will go without a change.

If he decides to sit out the b10 tounament will some ranking services still keep him as #1? ;_;

What point is that? I would keep Bo #1 until he loses.