Sign in to follow this  
rodneydeeeee

PSU - Iowa Dual thoughts

Great match - Iowa proved to be clutch, PSU crumbled when in the clutch!

125- McD vs Meg: Fantastic match and great way to get the night started. I thought Mega looked better tonight and is MUCH improved from last year. I think he pulls out out one against McD if they wrestle twice more. I'm still not convinced that one of these 2 win NCAA's though.

133- Ramos vs Conaway: Ramos rose to the occasion. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a 4 point win (either by MD or a 4 pt TF). Conaway came back down to earth tonight and Ramos is looking very good.

141- Ballweg vs Pearsall: Ballweg dominated. I'm excited for a new chapter to begin here in the PSU era. Easy to score on, no offense, blah. Ballweg should finish strong.

149- AA vs (IA Fresh): AA was superior in regards to technique, but should be thankful for the injury timeouts. I'm not sure what the result is here with no breaks. He just doesn't have gas right now. I'm starting to think this is a serious issue that just won't be corrected. Some just don't have what others do regardless how much you train. J.O. would make very dirty work of him right now.

157- DA vs St John: DSJ proved you need to wrestle a FULL HARD 7 minutes in order to beat him. Great scramble to come through at the end and do what champions need to do. Dylan gave this match up IMO. There were some positives here for DA, but his gas tank is in question as well.

165: DT vs Moore: As a PSU fan, what a treat we have to be able to watch him as much as we do. Moore is a good division 1 NCAA wrestler that just got beat down. Taylor dominated and gave us some entertainment.

174- Brown vs Evans: Evans is a gamer and kid you want on your team. Brown should have won tonight though. He was in deep on the final takedown and Evans just came through in the clutch. Great match and proved to be the tossup as predicted.

184- Ruth vs Gambrall: Several times it looked like Gambrall looked frightened and was hanging on for dear life. Ruth continues to be an animal. Like DT, a joy to watch.

197: Q vs Burak: Q looked below Q standards. Credit to Burak, but Q won't get the job done this year looking like this. Burak did what his team could ask for, keep it to a D.

285- Telford vs Ging: Go ahead and make your own assessment here. PSU continues to be mediocre. Telford came through as expected.

Crappy night for a PSU fan as 3-4 matches slipped away.

Great night for IA to beat the front runners!

Good assessment. I agree that Penn St left some matches out there. I don't want to say that they lost it and Iowa did not win it though. Iowa fought for every point and deserved that win. They are the toughest dual team right now, hands down!

Except for Oklahoma State, who handled them pretty convincingly (same 6 points that Penn State just lost by) a few weeks ago.

I've said this before but I think Iowa is better coached. As an Iowa fan there is no one I would rather have lead my program than Tom Brands. I'm sure the PSU train is perfectly happy with Cael and disagrees with my opinion, but it is my opinion that Iowa is a step above in coaching. Ballweg is a good example. They are getting absolutely everything out of that dude and then 20% more than anyone knew he had. I think we all can agree Iowa was the better conditioned team tonight. I'm not saying Cael is a bad coach (he is one hell of a recruiter), I'm saying Tom is a better coach. Let's get that straight right now.

Brguy-Yea, I kind of think that goes to what I'm saying. But yes I agree with you. In general PSU is "softer" for lack of a better word than Iowa is. Sometimes in wrestling what you need is balls to win and not just technique. You need guts. You need a gas tank. Not always, but sometimes.

I've said this before but I think Iowa is better coached. As an Iowa fan there is no one I would rather have lead my program than Tom Brands. I'm sure the PSU train is perfectly happy with Cael and disagrees with my opinion, but it is my opinion that Iowa is a step above in coaching. Ballweg is a good example. They are getting absolutely everything out of that dude and then 20% more than anyone knew he had. I think we all can agree Iowa was the better conditioned team tonight. I'm not saying Cael is a bad coach (he is one hell of a recruiter), I'm saying Tom is a better coach. Let's get that straight right now.

I'm not going to disagree with Brands being a great coach. He gets the MOST out of his wrestlers. I LOVE his enthusiasm and he is a guy that wrestlers wrestle their hardest for. I'd still take Cael's recruiting/coaching package over Brands recruting/coaching.

From a PSU fan- congrats Iowa. I think there were a few matches where the PSU wrestler was better but Iowa sucked it up and did what they had to do to win and Iowa kids held off PSU big guns. Iowa did a nice job. Congrats Brands and Iowa fans.

I was at hotel at nationals with mostly Iowa fans and they were very nice people, they deserve credit.

For the record- I HATE watching Hwt at all levels, should be considered exhibition matches only, that is not wrestling. You basically throw out 3/4 of the play book. How do you get hit with stalling with the match on the line? How do you not know how to pull on the hip and kick your leg when top guy is riding legs poorly....no. Lay with your head on the mat!

remove the guy that was called the second coming of sanerson-taylot-and the stud ruth and you have no program better than iowa ohio state oklahoma state of minnesota

ruth is an absolute stud and though i think nearly any coach would have him winning with easy i will give credit to cael since they are the same size. taylor walked in to college and was winning in dominating fashion before you could really credit sandersons influence

sandersons development of conaway and mega is all him. so yeah he is a top coach but i am not convinced that he has proven he is that much better than smith or brands i mean oliver was going to be a stud and reward any coach would won the recruiting lottery just as was the case with dake and taylor

sanderson coached up his team and in a few years i think we will see that there is more of a team revolving race with the top handful of teams i actually think ohio state is going to knock off penn state in a year or two and the other powers arent goign anywhere

BR Guy, I'm not sure I follow your point exactly. But you can't just remove the two best guys from a program. You can't tell me that Sanderson didn't improve Taylor as a wrestler. Maybe Cunningham and Letters had a big influence as well but c'mon. The big thing with Cael going to Penn St was that he was now going to keep the PA talent at home for the most part. The scary thing is that the talent in the rest of the country has followed as well. In the end it really doesn't matter if he's a GREAT coach if he gets talent like that. However, I happen to think that he is. This stuff goes in cycles. This is Penn St's cycle and one dual loss hasn't changed that.

If we are gong to talk about coaches developing a program then Mizzou's Brian Smith has to be included. If Dom Bradley is in the lineup last night, the Tigers tame Okie State.

Actually I think Brian Smith deserves a slap on the wrist for last night. He pulled a Tom Ryan and basically dumped the dual for seeding purposes. And this move is EXACTLY why something has to be done about the dual format. Keeping Bradley out to preserve his record ruined what should have been a great dual. I understand the move because, in the end, all that matters is the NCAA tournament. This needs to be changed. Too many duals draw fans for marquee match ups to end up having 1 or both of the wrestlers not even wrestle. Any fan who paid to watch the dual should have the right to get their money back.

If we are gong to talk about coaches developing a program then Mizzou's Brian Smith has to be included. If Dom Bradley is in the lineup last night, the Tigers tame Okie State.

Actually I think Brian Smith deserves a slap on the wrist for last night. He pulled a Tom Ryan and basically dumped the dual for seeding purposes. And this move is EXACTLY why something has to be done about the dual format. Keeping Bradley out to preserve his record ruined what should have been a great dual. I understand the move because, in the end, all that matters is the NCAA tournament. This needs to be changed. Too many duals draw fans for marquee match ups to end up having 1 or both of the wrestlers not even wrestle. Any fan who paid to watch the dual should have the right to get their money back.

This I agree with. Not a good idea for the sport.

Iowa won fair and square, and is to be congratulated.

But, as a PSU fan, I think the following:

the match was at Carver Hawkeye, which is perhaps a decisive advantage, in and of itself . . .

for those who think PSU is "soft", they competed pretty darn hard in a very unfavorable venue, especially when you think of some talented teams over the years that have gone in there and fallen apart like wet tissue paper . . .

Other thoughts . . .

Conaway's got potential tho' he may never be a Tony Ramos. One thing's clear, Conaway certainly wasn't ready for Ramos tonite. Think Molinaro vs. Metcalf, the first time they met. It got closer after that.

Pearsall usually hangs tougher in the clutch. But maybe more credit is due to Ballweg who is having his Jesse Whitmer-type senior year revelation/epiphany. No disrespect to Pearsall, but we need an upgrade here. Zane Reatherford, Cadet World Champ., will be a welcome addition.

3rd period, Matt Brown is in deep on Evans's leg. 9/10 times how does that turn out? Not w. Evans getting the "W" IMHO.