Smedley

US and Iran Travel Bans

Looks like there is a temporary halt on the Trump EO. We will see if it sticks.

Here's an interesting article in that fake news site the New York Times that breaks down what this might mean for international sports here in the states. Note the good ink for wrestling.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/sports/trump-refugee-ban.html

I felt the following paragraphs were very telling:

Christina Kelley, the chief international ambassador for U.S.A. Wrestling who, in 2014, became one of the few women allowed into a wrestling arena in Iran since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, said on Saturday that she was frustrated by Mr. Trump’s decision.

“I don’t think our current president has any clue what the State Department and what sports diplomats and cultural exchanges do for our country and for the safety of our people around the world,” Ms. Kelley said.

Political opinions aside, anybody who supports this decision is not a supporter of wrestling. How many people on temporary athletic Visas have ended up being terrorists?

Hopefully Iran makes that exception and allows the U.S. to travel to the world cup.  

If neither country makes this decision, they need to hold awarding any international events to either. Can there be repercussions for non-awarded events like The Schultz? Does UWW support these with $$$?

i don't understand why Iran is on the list, Although Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism, almost every major terrorist organization is Sunni. Perhaps I am forgetting something but I don't recall hearing about any terrorist attacks in the United states perpetrated by Shiites, let alone Iranians. 

Well, all I want only to say, is that if Iran isn't going to treat our athletes with all the respect and dignaty that would be afforded to any athlete or guest, I say that it's best for our athletes not to go. I know it's a shame, and I have no idea what Iran will do, but it wasn't that long ago, that Iran seized a couple of our Navy boats, and it's sailors. I know that situation is different from what we currently have, but the safety of our athletes has to be paramount. Hopefully this will all work out and we can get back to watching our favorite wrestlers settling their scores on the mat.

Well, all I want only to say, is that if Iran isn't going to treat our athletes with all the respect and dignaty that would be afforded to any athlete or guest, I say that it's best for our athletes not to go. I know it's a shame, and I have no idea what Iran will do, but it wasn't that long ago, that Iran seized a couple of our Navy boats, and it's sailors. I know that situation is different from what we currently have, but the safety of our athletes has to be paramount. Hopefully this will all work out and we can get back to watching our favorite wrestlers settling their scores on the mat.

They don't treat our wrestlers poorly. They just rent going to allow any Americans into their country while we are blocking Iranians from coming here. Seems completely reasonable on their end.

What did we expect?

i don't understand why Iran is on the list

They are muslims. Trump said he wanted to ban muslims and he's doing it. Albeit not all muslims, but he's showing the idiots who voted him into office that he gets things done... Just like that awesome super secret plan he has to defeat ISIS.... Oh yeah he's asking the generals that aren't as knowledgeable as him to develop a plan.

The stay is only for people in transit. I don't think Iranians can come here.m and Iran said they would lock Americans as long as the ban stood.

The initial time period is 90 days, but it can be extended.

i dont understand! U.S. will come to World Cup or not?! and Iran will go to NY wrestling matches vs. Russia and USA?! 

i dont understand! U.S. will come to World Cup or not?! and Iran will go to NY wrestling matches vs. Russia and USA?! 

As it stands, US will not allow Iranian wrestlers to come to the US.  Iran has also banned US citizens from entering Iran, but the foreign ministry just announced that US wrestles will be allowed in.

Source below, for those who read Persian, or those who have ninja google translate skills

http://ir.voanews.com/a/iran-us-visa-trump/3697284.html

As it stands, US will not allow Iranian wrestlers to come to the US.  Iran has also banned US citizens from entering Iran, but the foreign ministry just announced that US wrestles will be allowed in.

Source below, for those who read Persian, or those who have ninja google translate skills

http://ir.voanews.com/a/iran-us-visa-trump/3697284.html

oh maaan, Iran can't go to USA for bug matches in New York????????? daaamn! where is Clinton?! now i love Clinton!!! 

i don't understand why Iran is on the list, Although Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism, almost every major terrorist organization is Sunni. Perhaps I am forgetting something but I don't recall hearing about any terrorist attacks in the United states perpetrated by Shiites, let alone Iranians. 

While I think banning people simply based on religion or place of birth is wrong, the 7 countries that he selected are absurd.  If you look at terrorist attacks on US soil, most were done by Saudis, Pakistanis, Egyptians and Afghanis.  Those who were from the selected 7 countries committed none.

I do apologize for positing a non wrestling related post, but it was in response to a comment

Post away bro.

who are u Smedley? i did not see u here before :D u are rookie here, welcome to the board! introduce you to them! There are Coach_J (good person), mr. Jason (admin, angry when u can troll about female wrestling), Richard Immel (admin, kind and cut u from the ban if u have good behave), also NYwrestler (young guy, know more about Russian wrestling), then Shiraz (Iranian guy), Huddard, Gantry, Jaroslav Husek, Therealone (he's Chamizo's fan) and me! :)

who are u Smedley? i did not see u here before :D u are rookie here, welcome to the board! introduce you to them! There are Coach_J (good person), mr. Jason (admin, angry when u can troll about female wrestling), Richard Immel (admin, kind and cut u from the ban if u have good behave), also NYwrestler (young guy, know more about Russian wrestling), then Shiraz (Iranian guy), Huddard, Gantry, Jaroslav Husek, Therealone (he's Chamizo's fan) and me! :)

I never got a proper introduction.  I feel left out!

This is from Javad Zarif's twitter "Unlike the U.S., our decision is not retroactive. All with valid Iranian visa will be gladly welcomed."

I'm not sure if the US team already obtained the visa or not, apparently they did which means they are allowed to enter Iran

beside that, the Iranian ministry of foreign affairs released an official statement today, they will form a special committee about this case (US wrestling team)

I think after all US team can enter Iran and participate at the World Cup.

This is from Javad Zarif's twitter "Unlike the U.S., our decision is not retroactive. All with valid Iranian visa will be gladly welcomed."

I'm not sure if the US team already obtained the visa or not, apparently they did which means they are allowed to enter Iran

beside that, the Iranian ministry of foreign affairs released an official statement today, they will form a special committee about this case (US wrestling team)

I think after all US team can enter Iran and participate at the World Cup.

good news...good