Smedley

US and Iran Travel Bans

I think Belarus strong team replace the Unithed States

As good as Belarus may be, it will not be the same without the US in there.  This world cup is a second class world cup to me.

Iran had a chance to take the high road and show that they are better than Trump.  They missed that chance.

I'm sorry and I hate to say this but I completely support the ban on travel for those countries and the people from those countries. Does anybody remember 9/11? The World Trade Center bombing? We have to face facts in today's world that people are out to cause us harm and if that means that Sports at times have to take a backseat then so be it. I say this as I'm going to watch my son attempt to qualify for the state tournament again today and it would certainly suck if for some reason he would could not go. But I for one believe things have gone on too long and it's time we were proactive rather than reactive and if the innocent are made to suffer with the guilty then it's just going to have to be that way. And this comes from somebody who has been a Southern Democrat his entire life

giphy.gif

Edited by Smedley

As good as Belarus may be, it will not be the same without the US in there.  This world cup is a second class world cup to me.

Iran had a chance to take the high road and show that they are better than Trump.  They missed that chance.

why Iran try does like Trump, he is bad man....Iran Iran should not do like Trump

As good as Belarus may be, it will not be the same without the US in there. This world cup is a second class world cup to me.

Iran had a chance to take the high road and show that they are better than Trump. They missed that chance.

Are you really surprised? If you are posting from within Iran maybe don't answer that..

Iran would easily be accepted into the international community and living standards there would skyrocket if they just changed a couple policies...The people there are some of the best educated in the world, but prior to trump, bc of the Iranian government many of the best ones move out of the country and live in the u.s. The guy pursuing medical research at Harvard mentioned earlier in the thread is an example. Odds are that he would have stayed in the U.S. prior to the ban.

Are you really surprised? If you are posting from within Iran maybe don't answer that..

Iran would easily be accepted into the international community and living standards there would skyrocket if they just changed a couple policies...The people there are some of the best educated in the world, but prior to trump, bc of the Iranian government many of the best ones move out of the country and live in the u.s. The guy pursuing medical research at Harvard mentioned earlier in the thread is an example. Odds are that he would have stayed in the U.S. prior to the ban.

I am a little bit surprised.  I am posting from California, so I can write what I want (at least I think that is still true :)  

No argument on the points that made, but Iran could have made some easy propaganda points by taking the high road.  If you recall, that was their initial stance.  Just like the US, there are various factions within the government, and it looks like the less intelligent are taking over in Iran too. 

I'm sorry and I hate to say this but I completely support the ban on travel for those countries and the people from those countries. Does anybody remember 9/11? The World Trade Center bombing? We have to face facts in today's world that people are out to cause us harm and if that means that Sports at times have to take a backseat then so be it. I say this as I'm going to watch my son attempt to qualify for the state tournament again today and it would certainly suck if for some reason he would could not go. But I for one believe things have gone on too long and it's time we were proactive rather than reactive and if the innocent are made to suffer with the guilty then it's just going to have to be that way. And this comes from somebody who has been a Southern Democrat his entire life

I think your risk assessment skills need some fine tuning. I moved to DC shortly after 9/11 and have been here every since. We have lots of refugees and immigrants from all over, included all the countries on the banned list. The only terror attack we've suffered while I've been here is when some native born dickhead from North Carolina shot up a pizza parlor. 

anyways, back to the wrestling topic at hand: Let's move the World Cup to Cuba, where everyone will enjoy the freedom to come and go as they please!

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Do you remember where the attackers on 9/11 came from?

Valid point. But we're talking fifteen years ago. Terrorism has changed. If we just ban the people who committed the attacks again that's being reactive rather than proactive. I trust my government to do what is necessary/right until they prove otherwise. The same as I trusted Obama, Bush, Clinton and so on. Being a graduate of one of the most liberal universities in America, I would like to think that I'm at least being objective . Give the people a chance and let's see what happens. But unfortunately, in my eyes, there are more important things than wrestling. But not much. Now I'm off to watch High School wrestling. Go Connor!

ConnorsDad: Do you remember 9/11?

Irani: yes

ConnorsDad: never mind, forget about 9/11.

America.

Edited by madcat11

Why? The world doesn't revolve around the United States. 

Because Iran is preventing one of the qualified countries from entering and competing. UWW should not allow the host country to choose who can and can't compete in the event due to politics.  Doing so should void the right to host the event with the federation fined to make up for the cost of changing the event location.  And yes, they should do the same to the U.S. in 2018. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I get amused by the terror of some posters regarding terrorists and terrorism. Here is a little perspective, in the past 10 years in the US you have a better chance of death by toddler than you have by terrorist.

If need to ban something we need to ban toddlers. They do not speak the language well. Do not play nice. Do not share our religious nor cultural traditions. Pretty scary bunch.

Because Iran is preventing one of the qualified countries from entering and competing. UWW should not allow the host country to choose who can and can't compete in the event due to politics. Doing so should void the right to host the event with the federation fined to make up for the cost of changing the event location. And yes, they should do the same to the U.S. in 2018.

Do you think Iran will change their mind now? 

Your guess is as good of mine, but I would guess not.

Here is what I suspect happened.  When this first came out, the foreign minister, who is US educated, and coherent, made the decision to let the US wrestlers come in.

Then things got escalated, Flynn shot his mouth, Trump started threatening, and they also put new sanctions on Iran.  Someone from the ayatollah's   office came in and told the foreign minister, " we are now calling the shots", and revoked the visas.

I doubt that this temporary ban will put things back to where they were.

For those of you not familiar with Iran, while they elect the president(after the government screens out 80% of the candidates), the Ayatollah has the ultimate power.  Somewhat similar to Steve Bannon's role.

Edited by irani