Sign in to follow this  
mattchristensen112

My Iowa/Penn St Summary

Man that was exciting! I hope in my commentary I do not use my favortism for Penn State too much, but here we go!

125: This was one of the weirdest lightweight matches I have ever seen. Those two just hung onto each others' heads the whole flippin' match. After watching this match I have come to a few conclusions: (1) Nico is closing the gap and in the next few match ups it is going to be hard to pick the winner. I think Nico wrestled better in this match, and then made a huge mistake in OT. Just get out Nico! Also, after watching this match, I wonder how many of McD's wins come from size and length. Nico's shots were better, but once he got it, McD's length came in and stopped the finish. Great win by McD. He hung in there and fought.

133: Ramos is a beast! I know he was wrestling a freshman, but it seems that each match he is out for blood. Steiber needs to get to 100% or Ramos may top him.

141: Ballweg broke Pearsall, plain and simple. The difference in a lot of the matches today were that the Iowa underdogs who lost still looked like they had a plan and they fought. The underdogs from Penn St looked beat early.

149: A Alton is a mystery. I thought for sure this was going to be a tech, and he just stopped. By the end he looked exhausted. Good for him for getting bonus points, but that could have been a tech.

157: D Alton...you had it! Such a deep shot! An early takedown...this match ticked me off because I hate it when the person who doesn't shoot wins. Next time I think D Alton wins, but man...St John fought that scramble like a pro. I just think his habit of winning close matches against any competition will catch up to him.

165: Taylor techs a guys who did everything to slow him down. That was impressive.

174: This match was a dog fight. A little too much tying up, but I have to give Evans props. That scramble at the end was what won the dual for Iowa.

184: Ruth should have teched Gambrall. He tried for the cradle way to long. I think Cael needs to teach his guys how to work the game a little bit. If a returning all american does not want you to lock up a cradle, you probably are not going to get it, so get the tech.

197: Wright failed here. He looked like he was going to get bonus points in the first round, but just stopped. I know Burak is tough, and he wrestled very well tonight, but Wright is a Senior, a 3x all american, and a national champ. That should have been automatic bonus points.

HWT: Telford does what is expected of him, he dominates Gingrich. Gingrich had his head on the mat the whole time.

What I learned: Iowa wanted this win way more than Penn St. Brands coached his team way better than Cael. His underdogs had a plan and wrestled hard. Penn St's underdogs were broken early. Penn St also needs to learn to work the game a little, and they need to finish those deep shots more. But this was a great dual. Cannot wait for the Big Ten Championships.

Regarding Ed Ruth going for the cradle, YOU HAVE TO get back pts to get the 5 pts for the tech fall. At some pt you have to dedicate yourself to put your opponent on their back. Ruth could obviously take Gambrall down at will but winning 30-15 on takedowns is NO better than winning 8-0.

Regarding Ed Ruth going for the cradle, YOU HAVE TO get back pts to get the 5 pts for the tech fall. At some pt you have to dedicate yourself to put your opponent on their back. Ruth could obviously take Gambrall down at will but winning 30-15 on takedowns is NO better than winning 8-0.

MSU...you are right. As soon as I published that I remembered the difference between college and high school. Thanks for pointing that out :)

1. Derek St. John Tech Shane Brown (Cumberland) 19-4 1-0

2. Derek St. John Dec Jedd Moore (Virginia) 6-0 2-0

3. Derek St. John Maj Trey Stavrum (Chattanooga) 19-6 3-0

4. Derek St. John Tech Kyle Lowman (SIU-Edwardsville) 17-1 4-0

5. Derek St. John Fall Josh Guenther (Cornell Coll) 2:47 5-0

6. Derek St. John Maj Logan Molina (Iowa State) 16-5 6-0

7. Derek St. John Dec Joey Napoli (Lehigh) 6-0 7-0

8. Derek St. John Maj Cody Ruggirello (Hofstra) 16-4 8-0

9. Derek St. John Fall Vincent Favia (Bucknell) 4:53 9-0

10. Derek St. John Maj Wally Maziarz (Buffalo) 21-7 10-0

11. Derek St. John Dec Josh Demas (Ohio State) 4-2 11-0

12. Derek St. John Dec Tommy Churchard (Purdue) 7-2 12-0

13. Derek St. John Dec Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) 8-4 13-0

14. Derek St. John Tech Collin Zeerip (Michigan) 22-7 14-0

15. Derek St. John Dec Ryan Watts (Michigan State) 12-6 15-0

16. Derek St. John Dec Danny Zilverberg (Minnesota) 6-2 16-0

What do you mean winning close matches against "any" competition? Demas? One match? He handled Moore, he handled Napoli, he handled Dieringer. What exactly are you saying here Matt? Cause I don't follow.

St. John had that match the whole way through. He is Dake jr. and it should no longer seem like a coincidence when he wins every single close match.
St John isn't great on his feet. He is however a GREAT counter wrestler, and everyone knows it. Alton did a real nice job picking his spots. I thought he got a break on the 1st takedown, but whatever (St. John needed Kellen Russell's referee for the reaction time call).

What St. John is, is a relentless S.O.B. You better be prepared to go the full 7 hard.

St. John had that match the whole way through. He is Dake jr. and it should no longer seem like a coincidence when he wins every single close match.
St John isn't great on his feet. He is however a GREAT counter wrestler, and everyone knows it. Alton did a real nice job picking his spots. I thought he got a break on the 1st takedown, but whatever (St. John needed Kellen Russell's referee for the reaction time call).

What St. John is, is a relentless S.O.B. You better be prepared to go the full 7 hard.

Now that might just be the comparison I was looking for: St. John and Russell.

1. Derek St. John Tech Shane Brown (Cumberland) 19-4 1-0

2. Derek St. John Dec Jedd Moore (Virginia) 6-0 2-0

3. Derek St. John Maj Trey Stavrum (Chattanooga) 19-6 3-0

4. Derek St. John Tech Kyle Lowman (SIU-Edwardsville) 17-1 4-0

5. Derek St. John Fall Josh Guenther (Cornell Coll) 2:47 5-0

6. Derek St. John Maj Logan Molina (Iowa State) 16-5 6-0

7. Derek St. John Dec Joey Napoli (Lehigh) 6-0 7-0

8. Derek St. John Maj Cody Ruggirello (Hofstra) 16-4 8-0

9. Derek St. John Fall Vincent Favia (Bucknell) 4:53 9-0

10. Derek St. John Maj Wally Maziarz (Buffalo) 21-7 10-0

11. Derek St. John Dec Josh Demas (Ohio State) 4-2 11-0

12. Derek St. John Dec Tommy Churchard (Purdue) 7-2 12-0

13. Derek St. John Dec Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) 8-4 13-0

14. Derek St. John Tech Collin Zeerip (Michigan) 22-7 14-0

15. Derek St. John Dec Ryan Watts (Michigan State) 12-6 15-0

16. Derek St. John Dec Danny Zilverberg (Minnesota) 6-2 16-0

What do you mean winning close matches against "any" competition? Demas? One match? He handled Moore, he handled Napoli, he handled Dieringer. What exactly are you saying here Matt? Cause I don't follow.

Gonzo, thanks for looking into his record. It just seems that whenever I WATCH him, it appears that he is content with a close win. I have watched the Demas match and the Zilverberg match, and it just seems that as the #1 guy in the nation, he should have handled those guys.

Man that was exciting! I hope in my commentary I do not use my favortism for Penn State too much, but here we go!

125: This was one of the weirdest lightweight matches I have ever seen. Those two just hung onto each others' heads the whole flippin' match. After watching this match I have come to a few conclusions: (1) Nico is closing the gap and in the next few match ups it is going to be hard to pick the winner. I think Nico wrestled better in this match, and then made a huge mistake in OT. Just get out Nico! Also, after watching this match, I wonder how many of McD's wins come from size and length. Nico's shots were better, but once he got it, McD's length came in and stopped the finish. Great win by McD. He hung in there and fought.

I don't think McD was/is very happy at all about his win. He's struggling with his weight this year more than ever which is affecting his stamina. Nico hasn't closed the gap, Nico wrestled a guy who's last MD was over 6 weeks ago and has looked pedestrian in those matches.

If anybody has room to improve it'll be McD.

133: Ramos is a beast! I know he was wrestling a freshman, but it seems that each match he is out for blood. Steiber needs to get to 100% or Ramos may top him.

141: Ballweg broke Pearsall, plain and simple. The difference in a lot of the matches today were that the Iowa underdogs who lost still looked like they had a plan and they fought. The underdogs from Penn St looked beat early.

149: A Alton is a mystery. I thought for sure this was going to be a tech, and he just stopped. By the end he looked exhausted. Good for him for getting bonus points, but that could have been a tech.

157: D Alton...you had it! Such a deep shot! An early takedown...this match ticked me off because I hate it when the person who doesn't shoot wins. Next time I think D Alton wins, but man...St John fought that scramble like a pro. I just think his habit of winning close matches against any competition will catch up to him.

165: Taylor techs a guys who did everything to slow him down. That was impressive.

174: This match was a dog fight. A little too much tying up, but I have to give Evans props. That scramble at the end was what won the dual for Iowa.

184: Ruth should have teched Gambrall. He tried for the cradle way to long. I think Cael needs to teach his guys how to work the game a little bit. If a returning all american does not want you to lock up a cradle, you probably are not going to get it, so get the tech.

197: Wright failed here. He looked like he was going to get bonus points in the first round, but just stopped. I know Burak is tough, and he wrestled very well tonight, but Wright is a Senior, a 3x all american, and a national champ. That should have been automatic bonus points.

HWT: Telford does what is expected of him, he dominates Gingrich. Gingrich had his head on the mat the whole time.

What I learned: Iowa wanted this win way more than Penn St. Brands coached his team way better than Cael. His underdogs had a plan and wrestled hard. Penn St's underdogs were broken early. Penn St also needs to learn to work the game a little, and they need to finish those deep shots more. But this was a great dual. Cannot wait for the Big Ten Championships.

----

Pretty spot on assessment Matt. I think PSU had disappointing performances at 149 and 197. Both Altons need to be able to go full 7 min. Andrew just gassed v Nebr and looked drained late in tonight's match.

I was expecting Q to score big, possibly a fall or TF. Burak seemed to tie up Q's arm and be able to prevent a lot of Q's set ups. Reminded me of what Precin used to do to McDonough. I think Burak is gaining confidence and is turning into a very good wrestler. Hoping he qualifies @ B10 tourney. He could win a match or two at nationals.

Aside from Taylor and Ruth, I thought Megaludis looked good, despite falling short.