Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Kyle Snyder's Example

This is one of those impossible hypotheticals but it would be really interesting if high school wrestlers were suddenly given a choice:

--They could wrestle for a college that competes in Freestyle

--They could choose a school that specialized in Greco

--They could stick with folkstyle

Prediction:  Folkstyle would nearly diasppear in about ten years with most wrestlers choosing freestyle but a talented group of hard core competitors choosing greco.  

T

NAIA to Freestyle - best of both worlds...

There's a few pertinent points here:

First, Kyle didn't wrestle a modified schedule from the jump. He was a full time 197 in the season leading up to his world title. Once he became world champ, the parameters changed. In fact, he was even on Olympic redshirt his second season and that was pulled largely to contribute to tOSU NCAA point total.

After that, Kyle wins Olympic gold. Significant in that is the fact that Kyle is now one of the few wrestlers ever to have a wrestling earning potential greater than the value of a full athletic scholarship. At this juncture his contributions to the Buckeyes are a great bonus to the institution, especially when you consider the enhanced recruiting latitude having developed the most recent Olympic champ gives tOSU.

Finally, put yourselves in the shoes of the staff... You can have arguably the best current American wrestler on a limited basis or not at all. Especially considering the way this situation evolved, every competent head coach would enter into a similar agreement.

If you can recruit a bona-fide Olympic hopeful, keep him wrestling NCAA full-time should he fail to make the world team, and risk having to settle for only part-time service should he prove to be the best wrestler in the world... You do it every time.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling

Like I said, this situation evolved. As a recruited athlete, I have strong doubts that Kyle was made promises of partial seasons regardless of if he had international success while still an undergrad. They way it played out, most if not all coaches would be on board, especially considering that the other option is not having him at all as going freestyle full-time has definitely become a viable option.

Edited to make the point that coaches can safely enter into this agreement with any recruit, as it only becomes an issue after a wrestler proves to be a generational talent like Kyle.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling

You can't speak on Bey's situation with much actual knowledge either, Tom. So just stop.

Hey there, Larry Jr. I looked this once, but I'll keep you on ignore moving forward. Go on and take care of your own business that needs your attention more than this board does. We're fine here without you coming around. Bye, Felicia!

Hey there, Larry Jr. I looked this once, but I'll keep you on ignore moving forward. Go on and take care of your own business that needs your attention more than this board does. We're fine here without you coming around. Bye, Felicia!

Some people should heed their own advice. You've had a problem and thrown shade OPRF's way ever since you left the kids program. You can't leave well enough alone. Let it go before you lose another lower level gig. The only reason a certain few dads haven't visited you is because a good hearted coach and I talked them down. Yet you keep spreading falsehoods about teenagers whether it be on message boards or behind the scenes. Keep it up and I won't intercede next time. Ignore that if you want to, Tom.

1. Freestyle sucks

2. Tom Ryan will always remember the match when his best kind dissed the team and a chance for a historic win was lost.

3. "The Corps, the Corps, the Corps...". General MacArthur

Yeah, those Russians and Iranians are awful wrestlers.    

Yeah, those Russians and Iranians are awful wrestlers. [/quote

They are great wrestlers and awesome people. Still doesn't change the fact that American folk style is a more interesting and (in my humble opinion) a more exciting form of Humankind's Oldest & Greatest Sport!

Yeah, those Russians and Iranians are awful wrestlers. [/quote

They are great wrestlers and awesome people. Still doesn't change the fact that American folk style is a more interesting and (in my humble opinion) a more exciting form of Humankind's Oldest & Greatest Sport!

I always saw running as the world's oldest sport, but I am with you on the "greatest" tag.

I always saw running as the world's oldest sport, but I am with you on the "greatest" tag.

Initially running was for survival not sport. You either ran from the saber-tooth tiger or chased the woolly mammoth.

Yes I know this can devolve very quickly when the "literalists" get on the message board.  

Back to topic, who remembers the rant that Brands went on some years ago about taking it to everyone nationally, internationally and even intergalactically? I would think he'd be one of those guys who could see the benefits of such a recruit as Spencer Lee coming to town and how his ability to fluidly compete both domestically and internationally would be a benefit to his program.

Another guy I would think would fully embrace this sort of mentality is Cary Kolat. He said in documentary that he did on Flo that he couldn't wait for his college wrestling days to end so he could focus on the world stage. He doesn't currently have anyone like that on his roster, but I have to wonder what his approach would be if he were able to sign a Spencer Lee-type recruit.

I think it would also be interesting to hear John Smith's perspective if Daton Fix shoots up the Freestyle ranks sooner than expected.

going back a bit, I think Kolat missed some college time to wrestle free (tourney in France comes to mind for some reason) but I also think he wanted to redshirt after soph year to concentrate on free and Fritz wasn't in favor of that.  

Well, due to Kyle's recent success, this may have coaches shift their paradigm when it comes to recruiting the young kids that do have aspirations of winning World, and Olympic titles and medals. Yes the coache(s) may be forced to lose a dual here or there, but as long as the kid is there to perform at the conference and National Championships, it might be something a coach may well consider. Especially if you don't agree with it the kid, he or she signs with another school.

Looking at some of the current programs that are out there, you would have to think of the massive recruiting power schools have when kids come there and they see the Logan Stiebers, and the Kyle Snyders rolling around in the mat room.

Guys leaving their college teams for International glory are like the 1 and done basketball guys. They only care about themselves and use the process for their own purposes.

as they should... all the universities are doing is using them for their own purposes...