Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Kyle Snyder's Example

as they should... all the universities are doing is using them for their own purposes...

I agree. As long as we stick to BB and fb. Those athletes& programs generally fund the "minor sports"

Watch the 30-30 espn fab five (now 15 years dated). Chris Webber walking around with nothing while all the sports shops selling his gear.

Guys leaving their college teams for International glory are like the 1 and done basketball guys. They only care about themselves and use the process for their own purposes.

And the University doesn't use these kids for its own purposes?

I don't see anyone whining when a Chemistry whiz or Computer whiz leaves school to go into private businesses that recruit top talent.

A kid who can sign for millions of $$$ can always come back and pay to finish a degree.

it is not surprising that our best athletes prefer free over folk... free is exponentially more entertaining and artistic... and it rewards actually wrestling...  

Especially when they lay on bottom playing turtle instead of trying to escape or get a reversal.

Freestyle could learn from folkstyle in push more mat wrestling skills instead of just being takedowns and back to the feet.

And the University doesn't use these kids for its own purposes?

I don't see anyone whining when a Chemistry whiz or Computer whiz leaves school to go into private businesses that recruit top talent.

A kid who can sign for millions of $$$ can always come back and pay to finish a degree.

Agreed college athletic programs that generate large amounts of money are using their athletes. The purity of college athletics is gone. I just hope that college wrestling can remain genuine. Unfortunately in our society today it's all about ME, ME, ME. I have trouble athletes leaving their team during the season.

I agree. As long as we stick to BB and fb. Those athletes& programs generally fund the "minor sports"

Watch the 30-30 espn fab five (now 15 years dated). Chris Webber walking around with nothing while all the sports shops selling his gear.

I have an unused ticket for the game that the Fab5 first appeared together (all on the court at the same time) in college. Printed by ticketmaster, faded but still legible.

Guys leaving their college teams for International glory are like the 1 and done basketball guys. They only care about themselves and use the process for their own purposes.

Guys that stick around for 4 years are also doing it for themselves. There is nothing wrong with either situation.

For the most part people go to college as an entry point to their careers. If they know what they wanna do in life and find that jumpoff point before graduation there is nothing wrong with going after it. This is especially true with athletics as you never know when that window will close. If education/a degree a is something you want that window almost never shuts.

Agreed college athletic programs that generate large amounts of money are using their athletes. The purity of college athletics is gone. I just hope that college wrestling can remain genuine. Unfortunately in our society today it's all about ME, ME, ME. I have trouble athletes leaving their team during the season.

For some guys the idea of attending X College/University is to develop even further past collegiate accolades and make it to the Olympic level. Why not have the flexibility to attain both, if that is what the student-athlete and his coaches agree upon?

if they truly want to progress from collegiate to international then they should not even bother with college... spending your 5 best prime athletic years years learning how not to wrestle is not good for international success...

Well, due to Kyle's recent success, this may have coaches shift their paradigm when it comes to recruiting the young kids that do have aspirations of winning World, and Olympic titles and medals. Yes the coache(s) may be forced to lose a dual here or there, but as long as the kid is there to perform at the conference and National Championships, it might be something a coach may well consider. Especially if you don't agree with it the kid, he or she signs with another school.

Looking at some of the current programs that are out there, you would have to think of the massive recruiting power schools have when kids come there and they see the Logan Stiebers, and the Kyle Snyders rolling around in the mat room.

You can feel the paradigm shifting already. Of the Americans who have won a cadet or junior world title in the past three years, two have chosen PSU and one each has chosen Cornell, Iowa and Iowa State. The recruiting advantage Ohio State has enjoyed because of Snyder's success is almost unfair.  

if they truly want to progress from collegiate to international then they should not even bother with college... spending your 5 best prime athletic years years learning how not to wrestle is not good for international success...

This might work with the Greco guys, but I don't see anyone beyond Henry Cejudo to where it has worked the way it is intended. Yes, Aaron Pico is up and coming, but I think the argument stands that the United States reps in Freestyle that have had the most amount of success in recent years--with the exclusion of Cejudo--all had a strong U.S. Folk base. It pains me to type that.

Snyder... he trains exclusively free...

other than that, there is only the logical assumption that our top wrestlers would be much better at freestyle if they trained it exclusively while in their athletic prime as opposed to after 5 years of having your body beat down by meathead wrestling...

Snyder... he trains exclusively free...

other than that, there is only the logical assumption that our top wrestlers would be much better at freestyle if they trained it exclusively while in their athletic prime as opposed to after 5 years of having your body beat down by meathead wrestling...

Snyder is a lead member of a D1 folkstyle program.  I can't claim to have inside knowledge of his training regime, but I can't imagine its exclusively freestyle.

Who left their team?  As far as I know, KS wrestled in a tournament overseas, but is still with his team. 

Snyder is a lead member of a D1 folkstyle program. I can't claim to have inside knowledge of his training regime, but I can't imagine its exclusively freestyle.

It actually is. In an interview last year by Flo, Snyder stated he trains zero folkstyle, even when he practices with his team. It is a compromise that allowed him to compete in freestyle at a high level without any dropoff in preparation while also competing for tOSU.