Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Is Iowa Headed to Blacksburg For National Duals?

I don't think Tech matches up too well in a dual. It's not unrealistic to see Iowa pitching a shut out through 165. and then 174 and 184 aren't locks for Tech. I've got it around 24-12 Iowa in this one.

now if Tech gets both 174 and 184, Dance wins at 125, then it could be real tight.

this all assuming Clark is wrestling. I have him majoring Gus (worse is possible), if it's Laux Gus could win there.   

could be interesting. will NBCSports be including this in their broadcast coverage?  If so, maybe they can try to get Luke Gardner to do the color commentating. Dresser might even kick in for his travel expenses.

Edited by gromit

I'd say it's more likely that Iowa and Missouri will wrestle.  Penn State should wrestle Okie State, and since Ohio St. and Mizzou have already wrestled this season, I see the Buckeyes wrestling VT and Iowa dueling Mizzou.

I'd say it's more likely that Iowa and Missouri will wrestle.  Penn State should wrestle Okie State, and since Ohio St. and Mizzou have already wrestled this season, I see the Buckeyes wrestling VT and Iowa dueling Mizzou.

Mizzou has the OU loss and getting crushed by tOSU but they have the H2H over VT and a big win over Cornell.  

VT's best wins are Lehigh and OU, and they lost to Mizzou H2H.

I would agree that Mizzou has the better resume and deserves the shot at Iowa.  So VT probably misses out on the Iowa matchup they seem to want and they get the lower ranked but probably tougher opponent in tOSU.  

Possible headline is intriguing- "Oranges juiced for National Duals" or "Orange appeals too Hokie". Or maybe "Hawkeyes Turkeys". Maybe "Orange in top Dresser draw"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

I actually want VTech to see Nebraska so that Dance can beat Lambert and make sure he is on the other side of Gilman. Not that I think he beats Gilman, but I do think he is the only one with a realistic chance when hitting on all cylinders.

I actually want VTech to see Nebraska so that Dance can beat Lambert and make sure he is on the other side of Gilman. Not that I think he beats Gilman, but I do think he is the only one with a realistic chance when hitting on all cylinders.

Tech and Nebraska would be a very competitive dual. 

Tech/Nebraska and iowa/Missouri is probably an ideal situation for the Hawks. Sorenson needs to take down mayes for any legit hope of being in the bottom half of the bracket at ncaas. Dance being on the opposite side of gilman would be preferable for them as well. I don't think gilman will lose to dance but they've been close matches historically.

Tech/Nebraska and iowa/Missouri is probably an ideal situation for the Hawks. Sorenson needs to take down mayes for any legit hope of being in the bottom half of the bracket at ncaas. Dance being on the opposite side of gilman would be preferable for them as well. I don't think gilman will lose to dance but they've been close matches historically.

If Iowa and Mizzou wrestle and Mayes and Sorenson go into the match ranked #2 and #4 respectively, then it would be a tough call whether or not to wrestle Mayes.   He couldn't move up with a win, but would definitely drop with a loss.  I believe in putting your guy on the mat, but that would be a no win situation for Mayes.

Dance has beat gilman but lost to him too. Gilman is crushing people this year though so Joey better step up his offense at the NCAA's and quit trying to win by a point each match.

I dont think he crushed a true freshman in Suriano. I actually think Suriano beats him in the finals of Big 10's

I dont think he crushed a true freshman in Suriano. I actually think Suriano beats him in the finals of Big 10's

Based on what?  Your dislike for Gilman?  Your being a Suriano or PSU fan?  He was able to keep the score close, but what did he do to make you think he could actually score to win?

Gilman could have arguably been hit with a 2nd stall call to send the match to ot. It wasn't going to happen in carver, but I've seen much worse stall calls made.

Gilman was the aggressor for 90% of that match.  Suriano didn't even take a real shot until the 3rd period.  Do you honestly think Gilman deserved to give up a stall point in that match?  Even if he was called for stalling, in what facet was Suriano going to win in OT?  He never came close to a takedown and he was not better than Gilman on the mat.  Although the score was close, Gilman proved better in all 3 positions.  

I pretty much equate this matchup to Morningstar vs. Howe.  Morningstar was very good defensively and kept multiple matches very close.  However, he was never able to get that important takedown and couldn't beat him in the ride outs.

Edited by MSU158

There is aggression and there is the subset of highly effective aggression. Gilman was highly effective for one takedown, less so but still effective in seemingly being content to disrupt Siriano's offense the rest of the time while (aggressively) creating little opportunity of his own. I'm wondering whether Gilman was content with one TD, if he can do more, or was Suriano really passive, defensive and not really looking to create shots? It will be interesting to see how it plays out. As a true frosh, I see Suriano improving at a rapid rate. But it may not look that way next time he meets Gilman depending on Gilman's capabilities.