Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

oklahoma state or penn state

if penn state were willing to wrestle top teams outside of the big ten like iowa and minnesota do or were willing to compete for a national dual title who would win in the match up?

would penn state beat oklahoma state to have three teams making a case for the best team? or is oklahoma state the best team? if minnesota and penn state actually wrestled who would win? is penn state a three loss team?

Right now you'd have to call OK st the best team. I think the only team that beats PSU is Iowa though. Who else can take 6 out of 10 matches and match their bonus? PSU still wins the one that counts...for now.

if penn state were willing to wrestle top teams outside of the big ten like iowa and minnesota do or were willing to compete for a national dual title who would win in the match up?

would penn state beat oklahoma state to have three teams making a case for the best team? or is oklahoma state the best team? if minnesota and penn state actually wrestled who would win? is penn state a three loss team?

I think when broken down individually, IA is the the only team that beats PSU in a dual. It's crazy, but there could be a couple team tie here.

NCAA's is a different story. I think the battle is for 2nd.

To beat Penn State in a dual meet, you need six wins. Problem being Penn State has four weight classes where they normally don't lose at all, and they're pretty darn good in the other six (extremely good in three of them).

Iowa is the perfect matchup foil for Penn State. They can peck one of the four Penn State stars, they win the three matches where Penn State's lesser quality wrestlers are, and they have the ability to win two of the three other weight classes.

Oklahoma State can't do that. I can't see them getting a result against any of the big four, which means they have to win all of the other six weight classes, and that isn't probable.

Imagine a TRUE national dual meet structure ... Penn State is hoping that Iowa is in the opposite half of the draw, and it's Oklahoma State that is in the Iowa half, so Iowa gets eliminated before seeing Penn State.

Imagine a TRUE national dual meet structure ... Penn State is hoping that Iowa is in the opposite half of the draw, and it's Oklahoma State that is in the Iowa half, so Iowa gets eliminated before seeing Penn State.

But that puts Minnesota on their side and I wouldn't overlook the Gophers.

One of several reasons why a dual tournament is a bad idea to decide a championship. Iowa loses to Oklahoma State, beats Penn State. Penn State loses to Iowa, but can beat Oklahoma State. So who's the best? Last year's champ, Minnesota, lost to Cornell. This is why organizers settled on a tournament format all those years ago and why it has endured.

One of several reasons why a dual tournament is a bad idea to decide a championship. Iowa loses to Oklahoma State, beats Penn State. Penn State loses to Iowa, but can beat Oklahoma State. So who's the best? Last year's champ, Minnesota, lost to Cornell. This is why organizers settled on a tournament format all those years ago and why it has endured.

imagine if other sports had this idea. it is seriously the silliest thing i ever read. The dual event decides who is the best

last night was clear evidence of Cael's agenda. much more fan friendly format. Everyone who watched knew the scoring system, whether they had seen wrestling or not. AT NCAA less than 100 people in then building actually know how to keep team score.

Imagine last night on ESPN. Ramos' is a sports center media darling for the pin. Now, we place as much weight on whether Pearsall can pin a kid from Gardner web in the first round of the consis. Why again?

Clear as day- if you want our sport to remain insular and inaccessible, make no change. If you want crossover/ mass appeal- more of last night and have it really matter.

NWCA does NOT stand for Not What Cael Authorizes

Has anyone noticed who generally wins the major sports titles???? More often than not it is the team with the majority of top end talent. Basketball.....take a Kolbe and Shaq, Labron and Wade, Jordan and Pippin. In Football.....Bradshaw, Harris and Swan, Montana, Rice and Craig. Baseball......Top end pitchers consistantly shut down teams single handedly and the team with a couple of stud pitchers and a couple of stud pitchers does the trick in most cases.

Why shouldn't a few stud wrestlers be able to carry their team to an NCAA tourny like it has so many times before?? Makes the annomily (sp) of Minny winning without a National Champ that more impressive!

but lets be honest penn state if they showed up to try to beat the best teams may still pull out a win in the duals but iowa is thur worst macth

there is nothing wrong with avenging losses to win a natinoal title it is what makes other sports so exciting including the indvidual championship we all rant about

imagine if other sports had this idea. it is seriously the silliest thing i ever read. The dual event decides who is the best

Uh, because its an individual sport and the team aspect is ancillary. Until they institute official tag-team matches, or multiple wrestlers from each team on the mat at the same time, it will remain an individual sport. I'm glad that once a year in Iowa there exists a dual that actually matters, its fun for them. But the idea that Telford/Gingrich deciding a national title in an individual sport is ridiculous - neither of those guys belong in the spotlight in March.

Uh, because its an individual sport and the team aspect is ancillary. Until they institute official tag-team matches, or multiple wrestlers from each team on the mat at the same time, it will remain an individual sport. I'm glad that once a year in Iowa there exists a dual that actually matters, its fun for them. But the idea that Telford/Gingrich deciding a national title in an individual sport is ridiculous - neither of those guys belong in the spotlight in March.

yeah! a number 9 hitter should never be at the plate with the game on the line :roll:

funny that the arena filled with people were there for the TEAM results not to see the individual matches if what you said were true they would have been making their way to the exits before the heavy match since no one likes to watch the big boys push around and get stall calls

Yea, real fan friendly, I bet most people in attendance had no idea that Gingrich could of won the dual with a regular decision. Imagine a national championship being decided on criteria, ugh.....

---

That would be about as exciting as having a match determined by what color ball is pulled out of a bag...ugh!

yeah! a number 9 hitter should never be at the plate with the game on the line :roll:

funny that the arena filled with people were there for the TEAM results not to see the individual matches if what you said were true they would have been making their way to the exits before the heavy match since no one likes to watch the big boys push around and get stall calls

Last time I checked baseball is a team sport, at least it is where I live. The arena was packed with fans to watch Iowa's wrestlers compete as individuals. No one was there for a tag team match, and no individual aided the other in scoring during their match. The sport is individual in nature. Have fun at the World Cup, I'm sure you'll be attending. Duals are sweet!

Last time I checked baseball is a team sport, at least it is where I live. The arena was packed with fans to watch Iowa's wrestlers compete as individuals. No one was there for a tag team match, and no individual aided the other in scoring during their match. The sport is individual in nature. Have fun at the World Cup, I'm sure you'll be attending. Duals are sweet!

yeah i forgot other people help you bat for a second i thought it was one on one with a pitcher

and your right no fans will be in tehran to see iran line up against the usa no one follows wrestling to follow ther team or just to cheer in a match against a rival team i just wish those iowa fans in attendance were there to see iowa win rather thn cheer for mcdonough telford and to see david taylor

i rememeber when i tried to get tickets to the kaufman brands open but it was impossible with all the 15000 iowa fans that were there to see their marion and metcalf wrestle

I just got back from a middle school dual tourney that had one great match after another. The semis and finals were battles, with each kid on each team screaming like crazy, the stands going crazy, even the ref said to me in between matches "this is pretty awesome".

Each match had ups and downs, with each kid leaving everything on the mat. When it was over, my son, who has wrestled in state and Eastern National finals matches, said "this was the best day of wrestling I've ever had".

Team championships are meant to be held as a dual tourney, and the excitement that goes with it CRUSHES any individual tourney.

Ultimately it is an individual sport and should stay that way.....LONG LIVE THE NCAA TITLE BEING WON AS IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN! We can still savor the bragging rights when our "team" wins these high profile meets such as last night in Iowa. But for the broad appeal of a greater number of schools sending whatever number of kids they can qualify and their fan bases treking to the national tourny to back their guys The way it is again is the way it should stay.

Love to watch the elite of the elite surge to the top of the podium,