Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

NCAA Most Dominant link

It is a VERY lazy statistic.  Not only are you using a team scoring system to determine the most dominant individual, but you are using a flawed system that considers a 1 point win as dominant as a 7 point win and an 8 point win as dominant as a 14.  That doesn't even point out that an 8 point win is 33% more valuable than a 7 point win and a 15 point win is  25% more valuable than a 14 point win.  Team aspect should have absolutely nothing to do with determining an Individual's dominance.............

It is a VERY lazy statistic.  Not only are you using a team scoring system to determine the most dominant individual, but you are using a flawed system that considers a 1 point win as dominant as a 7 point win and an 8 point win as dominant as a 14.  That doesn't even point out that an 8 point win is 33% more valuable than a 7 point win and a 15 point win is  25% more valuable than a 14 point win.  Team aspect should have absolutely nothing to do with determining an Individual's dominance.............

How should an individual's "dominance" be determined?

It is a VERY lazy statistic. Not only are you using a team scoring system to determine the most dominant individual, but you are using a flawed system that considers a 1 point win as dominant as a 7 point win and an 8 point win as dominant as a 14. That doesn't even point out that an 8 point win is 33% more valuable than a 7 point win and a 15 point win is 25% more valuable than a 14 point win. Team aspect should have absolutely nothing to do with determining an Individual's dominance.............

Agree

no way TBar would endorse something useless and superficial

It is a VERY lazy statistic.  Not only are you using a team scoring system to determine the most dominant individual, but you are using a flawed system that considers a 1 point win as dominant as a 7 point win and an 8 point win as dominant as a 14.  That doesn't even point out that an 8 point win is 33% more valuable tchan a 7 point win and a 15 point win is  25% more valuable than a 14 point win.  Team aspect should have absolutely nothing to do with determining an Individual's dominance.............

I totally agree with you, but since the NCAA uses a similar team scoring system to determine the champion, I think it is a fair metric to predict team success at NCAA's.  3 guys who bonus their way to the finals is tough to beat.

I totally agree with you, but since the NCAA uses a similar team scoring system to determine the champion, I think it is a fair metric to predict team success at NCAA's. 3 guys who bonus their way to the finals is tough to beat.

four in the top ten - Hall is tied for 9th on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you, but since the NCAA uses a similar team scoring system to determine the champion, I think it is a fair metric to predict team success at NCAA's. 3 guys who bonus their way to the finals is tough to beat.

If it were the most likely to help your team win a tournament championship, I would fully agree. But, when it is called the most dominant wrestler, a 1 point double OT win should not count the same as a 7-0 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MSU158

Why does "dominance" always come down to total points scores or pins? This metric is fatally flawed. Why isn't defense considered? Points scored against also seems relevant. Also when the points were scored for and against seems relevant as well.

The way "dominance" is used around here, wouldn't it be better to just change the name of the list to the "Top point scorers list"? That's far more clear if you ask me.

Ben Askren was more "dominant" than Cael going by the common usage of the term on this board. That alone should show that the term is losing all meaning.

Edited by bigmik